VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have an old camera it rec vcd 352x288 25fps 1150kbps and 128kb audio

i wanted to know how to put these on a dvd without them being converted so i can watch them on a dvd player also how many minutes of video will fit on one dvd that is 4.7gb?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They have to be converted to make a DVD the standard res is 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL you'd be better to make them all divx and put them on a cd and watch them. remember with dvd your upsizing them and it'll look crappy, or leave them in that format and just put on cd and watch them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    They have to be converted to make a DVD the standard res is 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL you'd be better to make them all divx and put them on a cd and watch them. remember with dvd your upsizing them and it'll look crappy.
    my dvd player cant play divx/xvid also my dvd player can play vcd disc but i just wanted to use a dvd instead of a cdr
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dvd player won't reconize them as a dvd unless they're in the standard format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Video-yes (justs needs reauthoring)
    Audio-no, must be converted + src

Amount is simple math: filesize = bitrate * runtime
    or put in another way: filesize / bitrate = runtime

So 4.37GiB / 1361.78kbps = ~7 1/2 hours

Scott

Clearly, theprevious posters don't have much experience with VCD...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    dvd player won't reconize them as a dvd unless they're in the standard format.
    Which the video is already (but as Scott said, not the audio):

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

PAL

Video:

Up to 9.8 Mbit/s* (9800 Kbit/s*) MPEG2 video
    Up to 1.856 Mbit/s (1856 Kbit/s) MPEG1 video
    720 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
    704 x 576 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
    352 x 288 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 288 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
    25 fps*
    16:9 Anamorphic (only supported by 720x576)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK my main point I guess is the looking crappy part, no? wouldn't the end product be rather pixelated ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It is not ever going to look BETTER than the original, but with resizing & reencoding it could look a lot worse. And well-compressed MPEG1 doesn't look that bad. More "fuzzy" than pixilated.

Best to leave as is if one can.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    OK my main point I guess is the looking crappy part, no? wouldn't the end product be rather pixelated ?
    Dude, don't get all pissy just because you were wrong. Accept it and learn from it.

Whether it looks crappy or not is pure conjecture. It probably does, but without looking at it, we can't really tell. VCD doesn't have to be horrible. Some of the recent ones coming out of Hong Kong are actually decent in terms of quality. You might be surprised. But I'm not in any way suggesting that they are as good as DVD or BD, just that they're also not the horrific mess of pixelation they used to be years ago.

As others have pointed out, VCD video is valid as is for DVD, just the audio needs to be converted to 48 kHz. I do want to point out that many consumer grade DVD authoring programs will not accept valid MPEG-1 for creating DVDs. I've got a test one that I created some years ago using Scenarist, but that's not anything most people here would use. I don't know offhand what else might accept MPEG-1 video for DVD authoring without barfing or trying to convert it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just checked with Muxman and DVDAuthorGUI and they both accept VCD video. I expect you're right, though, that some authoring programs won't accept it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    But that puts the burden of the problem on the authoring program, not the mediafile itself. If they followed the full spec, they should have accepted it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the original files are mpgs, and you burn them directly to DVD- they'll play in most DVD players. I have copied some of my rare vcds to DVDs by using Isobuster to extract mpgs from the .dat files, and burning them to a DVD. You can burn to a rewritable DVD and check whether it works with your player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    But if you do that, and the audio isn't appropriate, what happens? Some players might play ok, some might freeze, some might play the video silently, some might not play and say what's wrong (the audio), and some just might not play with no explanation. That doesn't get you much closer to your goal, because you might not know whether it is the media's fault or the player's. With standards, like "DVD-Video", you have a clear benchmark of what should play.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mgh View Post
    If the original files are mpgs, and you burn them directly to DVD- they'll play in most DVD players. I have copied some of my rare vcds to DVDs by using Isobuster to extract mpgs from the .dat files, and burning them to a DVD. You can burn to a rewritable DVD and check whether it works with your player.
    just tested and the disc loads with a menu of mpg files and i play them audio and video play thx
    Quote Quote