VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I edited a video using Final Cut Pro on another computer (which is half an hour away from my house, hence rendering it inaccessible) and I saved the video straight to a flash drive. The file saved as "I Don't Care_11-06-13_1658 copy. fcp" and I need to convert it for class tomorrow using a PC. Is this possible and if so, how do I do it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If that' s all you have on the flash drive you're basically screwed.

".fcp" is not a video , it's a project file
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shoot. So you're saying that unless I have access to that computer, I can't convert it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes . It doesn't sound like you saved any of the assets on the flash drive either . The project file is basically nothing without all the other assets and videos it links to . So just another Mac with FCP won't save you either
    Quote Quote  
  5. As poisondeathray said, there's nothing to convert. That file is metadata about your bins and timelines. There is no video in that file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could it be changed if I could somehow access a mac that has final cut installed on it and opened the file from my flash drive?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Only if you had the original assets . Presumably you edited some videos in FCP, not just from media generated within FCP . You need those original videos (whatever was part of the project, audio, pictures , video etc...) that .fcp file references . Doesn't sound like it's on the USB drive .

Half an hour isn't that bad, just go back
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My parents aren't willing to drive for an hour at 10:30 on a school night, besides, the computer's at my church and the church is locked by now. All the originals are on that computer. For some reason they got deleted off my home computer. I saved them to Dropbox, but they aren't there, either.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Better start thinking of lame excuses for class then...

"My dog ate my USB key".... sort of thing

If someone else has copies of those "original files" , you can relink them in FCP on another computer.

But it will be impossible to open that project file on Windows OS, even if you had the originals
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I don't have a dog, and even if I did, I'm too responsible to make excuses for my stupid mistakes. It really is my fault. I should have asked my friend how to save it properly to the flash drive. My teacher will be fine (I hope). From what I know about him he's pretty chill. This thing is due on Monday, so I have the weekend. He said that if it can upload to Youtube it can play on his computer, so I just need to work on it this weekend and upload it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. It sounds like you're fine then for deadlines

Don't upload it to youtube for your final deliverable. I don't know what kind of class this is but you'll get an F- for video quality if I was the teacher (Youtube re-encodes everything, so you unecessarily take a quality hit)

If you want more advice you should provide some info on what the final deliverable is (I'm assuming it has to play on a PC , but is it played locally ? or streamed ? what player do you need it compatible with ? e.g. if your class only has PC's and default WMP configuration you have VERY limited options) . Believe it or not - not all institutions have free access to youtube (some are firewalled)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nah, I was just going to upload it to make sure it works. I am too picky about audio and video quality for that to happen. It will be played locally using Quicktime (if I remember right). This is for Government. We're having a mock election and I'm the media director for our group. Yay me. (Sarcasm). Our school has free access to youtube, they finally realized how important it is for projects and learning and such.
    Quote Quote  
  13. If it's quicktime for windows on a PC, then your best option for exporting out of FCP is h.264 video /aac audio in MP4 or MOV container

But many schools are still in the "stone age" and have old windows configurations , relying on WMP installs without any codecs . That's when someone would run into problems. Basically nothing FCP can export will work in those cases. You would need WMV .

Players like VLC can play just about anything and run independent of system configurations, but many computers are secured by the IT dept. to not allow applications to run (firewalls / permissions and such)

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your help. Seriously. I obviously had no clue. My dad said that he'll take me to the church tomorrow after school so I can work on it. night.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We have Windows 7, our IT is typically unavailable and when available knows very little useful information, so I'll probably use WMV, or just save it in a couple formats (including WMV) to make sure I cover all the bases. I need to sleep, so I'm leaving. Goodnight and thanks again for all your help.
    Quote Quote