+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Hahaha. Can MEP import still sequences?
    I'm not sure, never tried it. If you send me a small example I'll let you know.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Just look in the "open" or "import" window and see what kind of things can be brought in.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I haven't looked at jagabo's but I think it's because AVI v1.0 vs. AVI v2.0 / OpenDML . The former might have problems >2.0 GB or sometimes > 4.0GB in some programs. You can open it up in vdub and direct stream copy it into an AVI 2.0 container

Or jagabo mentioned lagarith - if MEP accepts lagarith (you would need lagarith installed), that' s another option for smaller filesize.

Test this lagarith sample file
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I wish we could get a definitive answer as to what exactly MEP supports. I don't want to install a trial because they spam you to death afterward, and I don't want any TSR's on my editing computer.
    FWIW I've uploaded the manual here:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/MEP2013%20Manual.pdf

--
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Hahaha. Can MEP import still sequences?
    I'm not sure, never tried it. If you send me a small example I'll let you know.

Just look in the "open" or "import" window and see what kind of things can be brought in.
    Doesn't work that way. You don't get advance notice. You import a file and should get a message if it's unacceptable.
    File > Open tells you nothing useful:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MEP-OpenFiles.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	18766

--
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I haven't looked at jagabo's but I think it's because AVI v1.0 vs. AVI v2.0 / OpenDML . The former might have problems >2.0 GB or sometimes > 4.0GB in some programs. You can open it up in vdub and direct stream copy it into an AVI 2.0 container

Or jagabo mentioned lagarith - if MEP accepts lagarith (you would need lagarith installed), that' s another option for smaller filesize.

Test this lagarith sample file
    The Lagarith loads and can be played but I'm puzzled why (at full timescale zoom) it appears to be less than 2 frames long?

I'll try Vdub conversion shortly.

--
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by terrypin View Post

The Lagarith loads and can be played but I'm puzzled why (at full timescale zoom) it appears to be less than 2 frames long?
    It was only 2 frames , to see if lagarith was compatible with MEP (lagarith is a common lossless intermediate used in windows programs) - if it's not compatible, there is no use uploading the complete file

I'll upload a fixed timing clock in lagarith in case anyone else wants to use it for their own project, but looking at your youtube video, you probably want more time increments in the animation represented, not fewer . Maybe even a realtime clock with seconds

Just my opinion - but this is a simple plain clock. It might be suitable for something like a cartoon sketch. I would use a clock face that matches the content more appropriately
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I wish the OP would ...
    OP? In case you hadn't noticed, I'm in the room and and quite accessible! The name's in my sig...

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I haven't looked at jagabo's but I think it's because AVI v1.0 vs. AVI v2.0 / OpenDML . The former might have problems >2.0 GB or sometimes > 4.0GB in some programs. You can open it up in vdub and direct stream copy it into an AVI 2.0 container
    Success! After saving in what VDub 1.9.11 calls Old Format AVI, PDR-Uncomp-Premult-BW.avi now works fine thanks.

--
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Success! After saving in what VDub 1.9.11 calls Old Format AVI, PDR-Uncomp-Premult-BW.avi now works fine thanks.
    Except for the '2 hours every 60 minutes' error that jagabo spotted. I think that's true of all the clocks, alpha and non-alpha, that have been discussed so far, based on the original I found at
    http://www.motionbackgroundsforfree.com/technology-free-backgrounds/free-technology-ba...-passing-time/

The only correctly synced clock I found was the recorded, yellowish one I showed in post #15. I'll probably search for more, (although free ones of good quality seem hard to find) because I've now finally worked out how to use what I've previously called the 'alpha sandwich' technique, but which PDR has told me is properly called 'luna matte'. That extends my choice over animated and recorded clock videos. And with much lower file sizes (unless converted with Lagarith). The downside is that I need to use chroma key on my clock, an extra step avoided with the alpha channel types, but that's not really a big deal in practice.

It seems MEP users are rare here. But for any that does end up in this thread with a similar question about using transparency in MEP, here's a summary of how I did it:

Name:	MEP-Transparency-MakingClock-1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	18784

Name:	MEP-Transparency-MakingClock-2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	18785

Thanks for all the help, especially from PDR and jagabo; it's been a terrific learning exercise.

--
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, even the latest one I uploaded is messed up too

Here is a loopable fixed timing-sync one (for sure this time ) , with tick marks and a black outline frame.

Now how about that Andy Murray guy
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yes, even the latest one I uploaded is messed up too

Here is a loopable fixed timing-sync one (for sure this time ) , with tick marks and a black outline frame.
    Thanks, runs sweetly in sync and looks good in white with the border. But 'canvas' doesn't seem high enough?

Oh, and would it be possible to shorten the minute hand a bit, so that it doesn't significantly overlap the numerals?

Er, also (you did say I should be very specific about what I wanted!), would a 25 fps version be possible please, which is my usual my project standard? Presumably your 30 fps is why the minute hand doesn't consistently advance one minute per frame.

Name:	PDR-V2.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	18792

Now how about that Andy Murray guy
    My nerves wouldn't take the strain after a while. Had to repeatedly take a break and come here upstairs and play with my clocks.

--
    Last edited by terrypin; 8th Jul 2013 at 12:49.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The embedded alpha is not working in your screenshot (it shouldn't be "white" around the clock)

Are you sure these 2 videos worked ok "automatically"
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/357196-How-to-add-transparency-to-a-video-clip?p=22...=1#post2252633

The only difference is this last one was saved with AVI2.0, and lagarith compression

Or did this one work ok ?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/357196-How-to-add-transparency-to-a-video-clip?p=22...=1#post2252802

" fixed_lagarith_AVI2.0.avi.7z" was the same, except premultiplied alpha, (just the timing was messed up)
    Quote Quote  
  13. This is what it should look like , notice it's "transparent" around the clock, not black

Name:  v2_lagarith_straight_preview.png
Views: 1423
Size:  9.9 KB

There is a thin black border

Your screenshot shows the image without the embedded alpha (it's disregarding the alpha)

Or was it AVI 2.0 MEP has a problem with ? Did you need AVI 1.0 ( you mentioned something about vdub "old format AVI" ) ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. If it helps to explain, I've attached the "luma matte" or MEP calls it the "alpha keying object" . Just extend it the length of the video. When you do the "sandwich" technique, you should see the same thing as the screenshot in post 73 . A thin rim of border is remaining due to the diameter of the "white" circle

So you can see, if you made the "alpha keying object" larger diameter or smaller, you would get less or more black border revealed

All these things are really the same thing, but with an embedded alpha, you don't do anything like keying or "sandwich", just drop it on the timeline. With the "sandwich" method, you're just separating the alpha out onto a separate track.

But the initial disussion was how to do it with embedded alpha, sort of whole point that started this discussion. So we still need to clarify what works directly in MEP, without keying, etc... just drop on the timeline. There seems to be some conflicting information in your posts
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	luma_matte.png
Views:	205
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	18795  

Quote Quote  

15. Er, also (you did say I should be very specific about what I wanted!), would a 25 fps version be possible please, which is my usual my project standard?
    No problem, I'll make a 25 fps version , one we clarify what formats are supported (alpha channel directly, where you can just drop the video on the timeline)

In fact, it's easy to do in most editors - you just "interpret the fps" (since every frame already has a "tick" movemnt represented in this current version) . In effect, it's just slowed down by 25/30 (same number of frames)

The reason why it's 720 frames: 12 hours * 60 min/hour = 720 increments in minutes . So each frame represents a minute increment (one tick) . It doesn't matter if it's 25FPS or 30FPS or whatever. This is what "interpreting" in a NLE does. The same number of frames are there (nothing added or dropped), just played back faster or slower according to the FPS you enter (and thus the duration is either shorter or longer)

But I made the same "goof" probably as the other examples you downloaded from other sites, in that it's 12 hours represented for a complete revolution of the "small" hand, not 24 hours - DUH...

"conforming" in a NLE is different. Frames are added or dropped to "conform" to the timeline settings that you have. In contrast to "interpreting", the duration is the same. So if you drop 30.0 FPS footage onto a 25.0 FPS timeline by conforming to the 25.0 FPS timeline, frames are dropped (usually every 6th frame) , which of course results in jerky motion

If you did the opposite - drop 25 FPS footage onto a 30.0 FPS timeline, extra frames would be added to make up to 30.0 FPS. Most NLE's have either a duplicate or blend mode, so eitehr duplicate frames or blended frames are added to make up to the 30.0 FPS timeframe when "conforming"
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 8th Jul 2013 at 14:00.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    This is what it should look like , notice it's "transparent" around the clock, not black

[Attachment 18794 - Click to enlarge]

There is a thin black border

Your screenshot shows the image without the embedded alpha (it's disregarding the alpha)

Or was it AVI 2.0 MEP has a problem with ? Did you need AVI 1.0 ( you mentioned something about vdub "old format AVI" ) ?
    Yes, PDR's earlier AVI 2.0 didn't work but 1.0 (Old AVI) did.

Back on this tomorrow.

--
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by terrypin View Post

ok but that was uncompressed

did lagarith work for any of the tests (by "work" I mean did the alpha work properly in MEP) ?

Did the alpha channel video in post #66 work properly in MEP ?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/357196-How-to-add-transparency-to-a-video-clip?p=22...=1#post2253018

And if you save "old format AVI" did it "fix" the alpha channel so it could work properly in MEP ?

I'm assuming you want a compressed 30-40MB file (when unzipped) , not a 2-3 GB file
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks both. Husband duties interrupt play early tonight so I'll get back on the case tomorrow.

I confirm my focus is now exclusively on the alpha channel approach - no mask, no keying in MEP. But I'm pleased that I've mastered the alpha sandwich method, as that means I can roll my own!

Monday 8 July 2013, 20:50 UK time.

--
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wish the OP would ...
    OP? In case you hadn't noticed, I'm in the room and and quite accessible! The name's in my sig...

Hahaha, Terry.

Edit: Oops, forgot "...of East Grinstead, UK"
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Jul 2013 at 18:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jeez, I'm still stuck doing menial labor. But if I don't do it my fun budget will get severely reduced. By the time I get to make my clock, I'll be out of time, hehehe.

One thing's for sure, anybody plugging MEP in the future will get laughed outta here.
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Jul 2013 at 18:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Terry, here's some clock parts if you can use them.

And here's an actual working clock

http://files.videohelp.com/u/135518/ClockAnimation.avi
    Last edited by budwzr; 9th Jul 2013 at 00:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should look like this:

You like it? Or no? It's different, right? You can't find that on YT or Google, hahaha.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

Er, also (you did say I should be very specific about what I wanted!), would a 25 fps version be possible please, which is my usual my project standard?
    No problem, I'll make a 25 fps version , one we clarify what formats are supported (alpha channel directly, where you can just drop the video on the timeline)
    OK, thanks. Hopefully my detailed summary will achieve that clarification.

--
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

ok but that was uncompressed

did lagarith work for any of the tests (by "work" I mean did the alpha work properly in MEP) ?

Did the alpha channel video in post #66 work properly in MEP ?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/357196-How-to-add-transparency-to-a-video-clip?p=22...=1#post2253018

And if you save "old format AVI" did it "fix" the alpha channel so it could work properly in MEP ?
    Hope that my detailed summary answers these so I won't try to duplicate here.

I'm assuming you want a compressed 30-40MB file (when unzipped) , not a 2-3 GB file
    Well, all things being equal I'd prefer to work with smaller files. But operation is important too. As you saw from my typical usage example in post #52, for the current application I intend to extract just a fragment of the 12 hours so I would like that to run smoothly. Post#41-jagabo-simple_clock_premultiplied.avi was 2.6 GB but it loaded quickly into MEP. Like all so far though its 30 fps makes it slightly flawed for my 25 fps projects. Other ideal improvements were covered in post #71.

--
    Quote Quote  
  25. I've spent most of today methodically re-testing all files and preparing a summary which I hope will correct any earlier confusion.

Note that I've renamed all (unpacked) filenames to show original post # and author. I've preserved the rest except where further detail was needed to describe it more fully.

Post #: 7
    Filename: Post#7-jagabo-clock10s.avi
    Size: 3.6 MB
    FPS: 97 fps into MEP set to 25 fps.
    Imports OK into MEP?: Yes
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/jagabo-post%237-clock10s.avi.jpg
    Size looks OK?: Yes
    Hr/Min ratio OK?: Presumably (too short to test)
    Result example: Not worth showing.
    Any other comments: Watermarked test clip. Commercial alpha channel transparency.

Post #: 37
    Filename: Post#37-PDR-simple_clock_premultiplied.mov
    Size: 74 MB
    FPS: 30 fps into MEP set to 25 fps.
    Imports OK into MEP?: No
    Screenshot(s) in MEP:
    Hr/Min ratio OK?: Yes
    Result example:
    Any other comments: No message on trying to import. I use MOV regularly and Quicktime is installed. I naively converted it with SUPER 2008 to AVI but as PDR advised later that lost the alpha channel. So the result I showed in post #39 was after further work with that AVI. Note that AVI is 25 fps, not 30. Sorry if my enthusiastic opening ("Bingo - thank you, I have it working!") was misleading. It was working - but not with alpha channel.

Post #: 41
    Filename: Post#41-jagabo-simple_clock_premultiplied.avi
    Size: 2.6 GB
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2341-jagabo-simple_clock_premultiplied.avi.jpg
    Hr/Min ratio OK?: No (2 hrs every 60 mins).
    Result example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2341-jagabo-simple_clock_premultiplied-AVI.mp4
    Any other comments: Best so far. Despite size, MEP loads it quickly. Possible enhancements? 1. Correct timing; 2. Slightly smaller minute hands that don't hide the numerals; 3. Narrow black border

Post #: 41
    Filename: Post#41-jagabo-simple_clock_premultiplied.gif
    Size: 4 KB
    FPS: ?
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2341-jagabo-simple_clock_premultiplied.gif.jpg
    Hr/Min ratio OK?: Cannot test
    Result example: Static
    Any other comments:

Post #: 42
    Filename: Post#42-PDR-2frames-uncompressed_premult.avi
    Size: 7 MB
    FPS: 25 fps into MEP set to 25 fps.
    Imports OK into MEP?: Unsure, see below.
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2342-PDR-2frames-uncompressed_premult.avi.jpg
    Hr/Min ratio OK?: Too short to test.
    Any other comments: Apparently imports and plays (in a flash) but I'm puzzled why it occupies LESS than 2 frames on the timeline.

Post #: 42
    Filename: Post#42-PDR-2frames-uncompressed_straight.avi
    Size: 7 MB
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: Identical to the Premult above.
    Any other comments: Apparently imports and plays (in a flash) but I'm puzzled why it occupies LESS than 2 frames on the timeline.

Post #: 48
    Filename: Post#48-PDR-uncompressed_premultiplied.avi
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: Cannot test
    Size looks OK?: Cannot test
    Hr/Min ratio OK?: Cannot test
    Result example:
    Any other comments: Crashes MEP. No message, but hour glass runs indefinitely and status bar reports 'Initialising Audio Decoder (please wait)'. Forcibly close MEP.

Post #: 62
    Filename: Post#62-PDR-2frames-lagarith_test_AVI2.0.avi
    Size: 68 KB
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2362-PDR-2frames-lagarith_test_AVI2.0.avi.jpg
    Any other comments: Same puzzle about length on MEP timeline as for Post #42 files.

Post #: 66
    Filename: Post#66-PDR-fixed_lagarith_AVI2.0.avi
    Size: 22 MB
    FPS: 25 fps into MEP set to 25 fps.
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2366-PDR-fixed_lagarith_AVI2.0.avi.jpg
    Size looks OK?: Yes (assuming there is no border beyond the white face).
    Hr/Min ratio OK?: Yes, but see below.
    Result example:
    Any other comments:

Post #: 68
    Filename: Post#68-Terry-PDR-Uncomp-Premult-BW-OldFormat.avi
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Terry-PDR-Uncomp-Premult-BW-OldFormat.avi.jpg
    Hr/Min ratio OK?: No (2 hrs every 60 mins).
    Result example:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2068-Terry-PDR-Uncomp-Premult-BW-OldFormat-avi.mp4
    Any other comments: Presumably because of the frame rate conflict, after 25 frames the minute hand has moved from 12 to 6.

Post #: 70
    Filename: Post#70-PDR-v2_lagarith_straight.avi
    Size: 33 MB
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2370-PDR-v2_lagarith_straight.avi.jpg
    Size looks OK?: No
    Result example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2370-PDR-v2_lagarith_straight-avi.mp4
    Any other comments: Top and bottom cut off. Presumably because of the frame rate conflict, after 25 frames the minute hand has moved from 12 to 6. And, of course, I was mistaken last night in reporting that it imported OK, when clearly the alpha channel has not been recognised.

Post #: 81
    Filename: Post#81-budwzr-ClockAnimation.avi
    Size: 700 KB
    FPS: 59.94
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2381-budwzr-ClockAnimation.avi.jpg
    Result example:
    Any other comments: No alpha channel. Only 1 hour. MEP struggles to preview it.

Post #: 87
    Filename: Post#87-PDR-25fps_2frames_LAGS_AVI1.0.avi
    Size: 148 KB
    FPS: 25
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2387-PDR-25fps_2frames_LAGS_AVI1.0.avi.jpg
    Hr/Min ratio OK?: Can't tell.
    Any other comments: Shorter minute hand looks good.

Filename: Post#87-PDR-25fps_2frames_png.mov
    Size: 241 KB
    Screenshot(s) in MEP:
    Result example:
    Any other comments: Nothing appeared on timeline. No message. Yet played (albeit fleetingly) in VLC and IrfanVie. Wouldn't play in MPC-HC or WMP. QT Player gave 'Error -2048: Couldn't open the file QuickTimePlayer.exe because it is not a file that QuickTime understands,' but then proceeded to play it!

Filename: Post#87-PDR-25fps_2frames_UT_AVI1.0.avi
    Size: 576 KB
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: Same as Post#87-PDR-25fps_2frames_LAGS_AVI1.0.avi
    Any other comments:

Post #: 88
    Filename: Post#88-PDR-25fps_uncompressed_premult.avi
    Screenshot(s) in MEP:
    Size looks OK?:
    Hr/Min ratio OK?:
    Result example:
    Any other comments: Crashes MEP. No message, but hour glass runs indefinitely and status bar reports 'Initialising Audio Decoder (please wait)'. Had to forcibly close MEP.

Post #: 97
    Filename: Post#97-jagabo-25fps_uncompressed_premult_vdub.avi
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2397-jagabo-25fps_uncompressed_premult_vdub.avi.jpg
    Result example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2397-jagabo-25fps_uncompressed_premult_vdub-avi.mp4
    Any other comments: Whew, we got there! Excellent co-operative effort, thanks.

Post #: 97
    Filename: Post#97-jagabo-25fps_uncompressed_premult_vdub_lag.avi
    Size: 28 KB
    Screenshot(s) in MEP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Post%2397-jagabo-25fps_uncompressed_premul...ub_lag.avi.jpg
    Result example:
    Any other comments: By the time of this test I had uninstalled that UT codec as part of my trouble-shooting the VirtualDub issue.

--
    Last edited by terrypin; 10th Jul 2013 at 04:28.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    , but I recommend you switch to Vegas Studio, the cheapest version, and re-learn the interface, now while you're still getting started. The longer you wait, the more painful the switch.
    I made my first DVD about 12 years ago and now have nearly 200. Not necesarily very good ones, and none made with Vegas Studio (which you clearly hold in higher esteem than some), but I reckon that takes me out of the newbie category, yes?

--
    Quote Quote  
  27. It looks like none of the lagarith tests worked with alpha channel.

UT is UT Video Codec, you need that installed for the "25fps_2frames_UT_AVI1.0.avi" test
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite

I shortened the arrows, and change to 25FPS.

So the question now is what compressed format works properly in terms of alpha channel support in MEP . Note: These are just 2 frames each to test compression
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  28. Here is the full uncompressed file (in 7zip), it should be the same format as the one jagabo used that worked (multipart openDML) - so worse case scenario if none of the other compression formats work - you can use a 2.5GB file
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I made my first DVD about 12 years ago and now have nearly 200. Not necesarily very good ones, and none made with Vegas Studio (which you clearly hold in higher esteem than some), but I reckon that takes me out of the newbie category, yes
    Hahaha, Terry, that was a genuine heads up, not a slight. I do a lot of compositing, and I see you moving in that direction.

Each software brand has a different methodology and nomenclature, but Vegas is the most straightforward and intuitive, and is widely used by independent filmmakers and wedding videographers.

P.S. Vegas doesn't make DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing's for sure, anybody plugging MEP in the future will get laughed outta here.
    Oh, Terry, this comment probably ruffled your feathers. It was meant to dissuade those posters that come out of the woodwork from time to time when someone asks for advice on choosing an NLE.
    Quote Quote