VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. with a HTPC is a standalone dvd player going to provide significantly different results? My criteria for significant:

* more or less likely to play all formats of DVD's (including different zones (I live in China and run into everything), dvd-rw, cd-rw, etc)

* provide better performance on slow motion, fast forward, etc. I use VLC a lot to watch movies and tv series because I can increase the playback speed (usually about 12% with almost no observable glitches) and watch a tv program or documentary that much faster. I don't do this for high quality graphics and scenery but only for those things that I just want to "digest" and get the main idea for.

* provide better sound quality and picture quality on a 24" lcd computer monitor. In about 4 months I will get a projector, so will be looking at 6' pictures.

* durability. I am looking into water cooling for my htpc now to keep it as quiet as possible but the pc is wayyyy overcooled. Would it make a difference if the dvd player were mounted in an external case? Would a computer dvd player - mounted in the case or in an external case - be more durable than a standalone?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The advantages of a PC HTPC is that you can adjust just about all the settings imaginable. And if something new comes along, just a quick software modification. You also have access to different software players. I like VLC, but I rarely use it for DVD playback as there are others that are a bit easier to use, IMO. I use Zoom player, Media Player Classic-HC for DVDs and TMT3 for Blu-ray. The disadvantages are a HTPC is not as convenient as just popping a disc into a set top player and watching it. And if it's your only PC, it's tied up while using it for playback.

I have a large projector screen and all I use is my HTPC and my other PCs, along with a WDTV Live. I don't use my standalone DVD players at all. I play all my BDs through the computers to the projector.

I suspect a DVD/BD ROM drive will outlast most set top players. If not, easy to replace. My HTPC just uses air cooling and is very quiet. Choosing the right case and quiet fans helps. Water cooling is more useful for extreme overclocking. Not really something wanted or needed with a HTPC. The last HTPC I put together is in a mini-ATX case and it's very quiet: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/320109-HTPC-from-used-parts I wouldn't necessarily recommend that route to anyone as space is very tight in that type of case. A larger case like my other HTPC is a lot easier to set up: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/305973-Post-pics-of-your-HTPC That HTPC is being upgraded at present with a newer CPU.

A DVD/BD ROM would likely get better cooling in a PC than in a small external case with no air circulation or fans.

BTW, sorry to seem to be replying to all your posts. There are many knowledgeable members here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the pc optical drive option will make more sense than the stand alone player due to all the possible formats, codecs, etc that you will run into. You can still use VLC for dvd playback, sound quality will be a function of what kind of audio out you have, you should get very good sound out of 7.1 pc sound system. Picture quality should be as good as any stand alone player, durability is always a question mark, but I'd rather replace a computer drive than a stand alone player. Now, my only concern would be "upconverting" a dvd from 720 to 1080, the standalone player will do that now, but the pc player, I don't know of any that upconvert.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    'Upconverting' is often handled by the display itself. I have had to adjust aspect ratio on some videos displayed from my software players, but that is more a problem with the particular video file. DVDs and BDs seem to display properly on my LCD HDMI monitor and on my projector screen from any of my software players. One reason I like Zoom Player is it's 'zoom' feature where I can resize a problem video for full screen display with the mouse wheel. I wish VLC could do that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wow! One stop shopping for answers! Your posts have been really helpful. One related question: when I read the box on a dvd rom what are good specs? specs relating to sound, video, etc. Put another way, if I pick up 2 DVD players that both cost $100 each, how do I know which one is better?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dvd roms don't really have video specs in the way you are thinking. That is more handled by the software and graphics/sound hardware of your particular computer.

Main specs on dvd roms to be concerned with are read speed and burning speed. The rest as I said are really handled by the graphics and sound cards (or on the motherboard if you don't have independent equipment).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote