VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone! I just bought an HF S100 and am having a few issues deinterlacing. Now I just realized the deinterlacing option in VLC, BOB, makes the video look amazing and smooth. It shoots at 60i so I am guessing with bob I am viewing the video as if it was 60p right? Anyways I have been using vegas and have successfully figured out how to get 60i to deinterlace to 30p and 24p, I just cant get it to look like it does under vlc with bob turned on, quality wise the image is the same, its just not as smooth with 30p. So I was wondering where I could get something that converts the video to say, mp4 like sony vegas and implement bob deinterlacing all at once?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your 60i is a marketing term, it's just normal 30i. their 60i is fields per second, when viewed it's 30 frames per second.

what's your intended output? no need for progressive unless you are only going to view it on computer monitors. for dvd leave it interlaced.

better to shoot 30p if you want progressive mp4 as the output.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well basically, I want the output to be any format that can be viewed on my pc lol. What I really want is for it to be as smooth as it looks on VLC with tne MTS file and BOB deinterlacing on. When I make the video into a 30p one with sony vegas it doesnt look smooth, its all slow like, choppy in a sense, as if its smudged. But when I view the original MTS file on VLC with bob deinterlacing turned on, its a smooth as if I were watching it on mt HDTV withe the HDMI out on my camera.

I mean if a camera the size of coke can can output videos like that, why can't my computer save it in a format that always looks like that without the need for deinterlacing? Is that even possible?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can do it by feeding an avisynth script into an encoder that accepts .avs scripts
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But doesnt that require the source file to be AVI?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't use Vegas but I think you need to start a 60p project. Then import your 30i file. I suspect it will automatically bob it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. But doesnt that require the source file to be AVI?
    No it does not.

Avisynth is quite complex and very powerful, but for your purposes it's only a few lines.

There are dozens of choices for deinterlacers, the higher quality ones tend to be very very slow (cpu intensive). NNEDI2 works fairly good on avchd material (which is top field first), but you can choose another when you get more comfortable with avisynth

Install avisynth, ffdshow, haali media splitter, place nnedi2.dll from the link below in the avisynth/plugins directory
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=147695

Write this in notepad in the same directory as your video, save, then change the extension from .txt to .avs, change filenames and paths to match

DirectShowSource("file.mts")
    NNEDI2(field=3)

Now feed that .avs file into any encoder that accepts avs scripts e.g. ripbot264, megui, xvid4psp
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did that Jagabo and it won't deinterlace the output file, still see those damn lines. Maybe I am not doing it right, but I have deinterlacing set to interpolation or whatever. Maybe vegas just isn't doing it for me, any other programs that are very easy to use that deinterlaces with bob?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Vegas has very very poor quality deinterlacing. I wouldn't use it for those purposes
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Poison I will give it a go and see how it turns out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You can get the same thing as VLC's BOB with AviSynth's BOB(). PDR's recommendation of NNEDI2(field=3) should give better results.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright well I am updating the thing now, here is to hoping I did everything right...Thanks for the help guys! Will update you on how it goes once I am done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try recording 30p not making 30p out of 60i. make a custom 1920x1080 p project. then, when you import the 30p into vegas it's in a 60i stream from the cam so you need to tell vegas it's 30p. right click on the imported mts files and set the properties to 30p otherwise it will assume 30i. from there you can export as mp4 progressive or any other p format you want.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow amazing output, although I got to figure out the bitrate and whatnot, 24mb/sec is 24,000kbit right? Just need to fix the quality and all will be perfect thanks so much Poison for your help! Also thanks to Jagabo and Aedipuss.
    Edit: Also, is there a gpu encoding plugin for avisynth? god that would make it perfect cause its taking ages to encode on my i7 cpu lol.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes , 24Mbit/s is 24,000 Kbit/s

The bottleneck right now in your setup is NNEDI2. NNEDI2 is one of the slower deinterlacers. If the processing speed isn't suitable for you, there are better quality deinterlacers that are even slower, or you can choose faster ones with slightly lower quality. Yadif is very fast and gives decent quality. For your material it would be Yadif(order=1,mode=1)

GPU encoders are still in their infancy right now. I can tell you with certainty that the quality is very very low compared to software based encoders like x264. You can use GPU as the decoder for the source material, but that will only reduce encoding times by a small amount

Have fun experimenting and learning

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I guess I am fine with the speed aslong as the quality is as close to the original as possible. Man who would have thought something free like AVISynth is doing a better job with stuff like this then retail programs.
    Quote Quote  
  17. AviSynth is far more flexible than any commercial product.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can see that. Well my first conversion is done, the quality is amazing. This is by far the best program I have used. Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote