VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I am trying to play an AVI file but vant get it to play in VLC because it says it is unkown file type... but in file manager show up as an AVI file.

IThis file came up from a DVD RW DLayer 8.5GB disc that for some reason has problems reading. I have bought SkipDr in order to try to fix the DVD but the problem persisted and didnt resolve me the issue.. so I took it to a Videi shop and they put the DVD is their cleaning machine. It got better but still is very slow reading and some files do not open.

I tried to make a copy of the disk and could make it because it was constantly freezing the system and not responding so I used the software IsoPuzzle and created a iso file, a copy of the DVD itself. Then i went to Poweriso and extracted the video file i want. But it didnt open but the size is the same of the disk and it shows up as an AVI file.

I then tried to use DivFix plus, Gspot, VirtualDub and nothing.. the file do not open and errors are File Unknown, Not a valid AVI file, and so on...

So I would like if anyone could help me how to open or manipulate this video file that shows up as an AVI but apparently is not an AVI file...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a MediaInfo report (text mode - copy and paste)
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it is indeed an AVI file then it is not "a DVD" but rather a data disc that just happens to use a DVD blank. So the programs you quote are designed for a regular "DVD" ie 2 folders, one called VIDEO_TS and containing many files, VOB, IFO and BUP type and an AUDIO_TS folder containing nothing... So a MediaInfo report should identify what the file is..
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ho do I generate the output...
    Quote Quote  
  5. here is the MediaInfo output when i open the file:

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\kity\Desktop\video now.AVI
    File size : 118 MiB
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    possibly damaged or fake file ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If that is the only information that you are seeing, it's not a video (avi) file or it's corrupted.

Look at the screenshots here (the second shows the output of a proper video file): https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Screenshots
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Definitely sounds like the file is corrupted. Could be from the original write to the DVD, or because of the trouble you're having reading it. If the file was corrupted in the original write process to the disc, then you're SOL... unless you have access to the original file that it was written from.

I would venture a guess that if you examine this AVI file in a hex editor, it will show up as all zeroes. (I say that because I've had similar problems myself in the past).

Have you tried reading the disc using a different DVD drive, and do you have any issues reading any other discs in this drive?
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote