VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

Is it possible to author an SVCD without sequence items? I'm trying to make one that contains only segment items (stills, still menus and, maybe, audio clips), but VCDImager complains that there are no sequence items. Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Been reading around here for help with SVCD creation and I appreciate all the helpful posts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you're about 10 years too late for much svcd help. you'd be better of making a dvd. DVD slideshow GUI would be a good place to start. the price of blank cds and dvds is about the same these days.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are still some guides if you search here for svcd slideshow. i think the program i used back then was vcdeasy.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for your response, aedipuss.

I know that VCD is aged and that I can instead make a DVD. I have made DVDs before and recently took up making a VCD out of interest. DVD has too much space for my small project and I do not wish to have a slideshow.

My aim is to have a still menu and select/view stills of the listed menu items. So far, my only hangup is VCDImager complaining about sequence items not being in my xml file.

I posted my question here in case anyone knew of a solution. I can settle for adding a sequence item to my SVCD.
    Gentoo Linux
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    While it might not be "official" in the specs, for all intents and purposes sequence items are required. I recommend that you put a sequence item in there. You can always make it a "1st play logo", mapping onward to the main menu, or a non-mapped "if you can see this you have gotten here the wrong way" kind of warning bumper.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks Cornucopia.

Looks like sequence items are, indeed, required. It's (somewhat vaguely) stated in VCDImager's documentation.

For those who are interested:

"3.2 DTD Notation Reference

Each section of the description of the Video CD XML format begins with a fragment from the Video CD DTD. The following table gives a simplified (and incomplete) reference for the notational syntax.
    #PCDATA parsed character data, i.e. only text without sub-elements allowed
    EMPTY empty, i.e. no sub-element allowed
    () grouping
    A? A or nothing (A is optional, but at most one A)
    A+ one or more A's (at least one)
    A* zero or more A's (A optional, but could be several A's)
    (A | B | C) either A or B or C (but only one)
    (A, B, C) first A, followed by B, then C (all, and in this order)
    (A & B) both A and B, in any order"

and

"<!ELEMENT videocd (option*, info, pvd, filesystem?, segment-items?, sequence-items, pbc?)>"

So... going by that logic... Within/under the <videocd> tag, <option> is optional (but several are permitted), <info> is a given (required), so are <pvd> and <sequence-items>; <filesystem> and <segment-items> are optional (one at most).

...and further reading says a segment-item is required within <segment-items>..
    Gentoo Linux
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by khey View Post
    For those who are interested:
    It's nice of you to share, but at this point in time SVCD seems even more pointless to me than clunky old VCD. You would really do yourself a favor to move into making DVDs. SVCD support is vanishing on many DVD and BluRay players and even the ones that do support it may only support a subset of the features.
    Quote Quote