VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know I could just copy and paste the mpg files from the MPEGAV folder of a VCD but here's the thing. I have hundreds of VCD movies (They're cheaper than DVDs) and I want to back them up onto data dvd disks. I don't want to sit there renaming every single disk a and disk b, making new folders, etc. Also, many of my VCDs have trailers or special features.

I didn't realize that DVD Decrypter can't rip a VCD to an ISO file.

Is there a program that will rip my VCDs into ISO or BIN files without converting and losing any quality? I want to be able to put a disk in, type the name of the movie, and click a button.... Just like with DVD Decrypter.

Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need any ripper. Just use imgburn for example, see http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cynikalhedonist View Post
    I know I could just copy and paste the mpg files from the MPEGAV folder of a VCD ...
    No, you can't. You could get lucky some of the time, but definitely not all of the time. Imgburn as baldrick says.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks guys, this is exactly what I wanted. You guys are awesome

Neo, I didn't know that copying and pasting doesn't always work. Now I feel even safer using Imgburn. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If anyone reading this ever wants to rip a VCD to a hard drive so you can do something with the individual files you should use VCDGear.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    or VCDEasy 's rip mode.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. One more question please

So far, I've had 3 VCDs that won't rip. The program stays stuck on analyzing the disks but it just won't start ripping. When I copy and paste the MPEGAV folder, it copies fine.

Why is it doing that?

Jman and corn, I will keep those programs in case I ever need to edit VCDs. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To better rip, try ISOBuster, as it has facilities for re-trying reads, etc.
    Use the "Extract MPEG Mode2Form2 tracks" technique: see this link on ISOBuster.com.
    Note that just "copying" the [MPEGAV] folder may not actually get the tracks, which may be why it isn't having a problem. Remember, those are actually just Links/Shortcuts/Aliases. The actual clips reside on completely separate tracks from the 1st track (which is the ISO portion), and they are formatted differently - no filesystem; just the raw data stream.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Really? But if they were shortcuts, wouldn't the .dat files not play at all once the VCD is removed from my computer?

I will try ISOBuster on the VCDs that don't work for ImgBurn; Thanks!
    Quote Quote