VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In the past I repeatedly tried to use VLC: it is highly recommended.
    Each time I decided to use other software.

Reason: VIDEO_TS were choppy, always it started off-screen, always I needed to resize the window: it would take about 80% of my 27" screen and half of it is off-screen.

I gave up on VLC.

Now, after a long time I tried the latest, portable, version. Portable so there is no conflict with my currently used player.
    Launched it, then opened a mp4 file.

It played the video rotated 90 degrees. Great, that's new!

Well, I'll just continue using MPC...

No, there is no question here, just my experience with VLC.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VLC v3.0.17.4-Playing video sideways-13092022 075755.png
Views:	48
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	66747  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VLC is notoriously bad for playing DVD-structures (VIDEO_TS). It has it's own view on the implementation of certain navigation features and therefore does not behave like it should.

Never had issues with it playing MP4, but I also prefer MPC for that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    PowerDVD is best for DVD.
    Everything else exhibits erratic behaviour (does not act like a hardware player would). Admittedly, this matters a lot to me because I'm testing my authored DVDs. Probably not a huge deal otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mpc-hc plays dvds with no issues on my system,never did like any commercial software player.I tried vlc but i liked mpc settings and codecs views much better.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. MPC-BE has problems playing DVD VIDEO_TS as well, at least in my experience. Especially when it has a 'home-made' menu.
    It hangs.
    I've not found a player that can handle this. MPC-HC, MPC-HC, VLC, SMPlayer.
    Maybe PowerDVD. I had a license once. Every year an upgrade at $.... it became a very costly business.
    So I stopped with it. I only need a player. For 'normal' MP4, MKV, AVI etc MPC is doing fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the only reason I can think your video plays rotated is becuase you have, whether by accident or design, activated the rotation filters >> Tools >> Effects and Filters >> Video Filters. Check them out !!

Another issue could be tweaked video preferences and GPU. Try reseting all back to default.

But I have never had any issue with any video played with vlc even video_ts files. Yes. It does have its quirks but one has to allow for the fact that some reverse engineering is going on here.

And I also use PowerDVD. Upgrade. Why ? My PowerDVD12 Ultra works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. @db83
    Sorry for the delay. Had to go here, go there, visits, blah blah.
    Then, frankly, I had a backlog and forgot. Sorry.

Also I *thought* I replied, but it seems I stopped / cancelled half way.

Anyway, as for your suggestion (Rotation filters) above. You are right, it was rotated. The only thing I did was downloading the portable and then opened media file.
    So, meaning to say, I did not touch settings. Wasn't even aware of these settings. Unchecked rotation and now it is okay.

Then I tried to open a VIDEO_TS. VLC showed the (non-official) menu. Clicking on the items - nothing happened, it should highlight. Tried MPC-HC, menu items highlighted and worked.
    But, then again, the next time, they may not work.

As for PowerDVD: I checked my account with Cyberlink and found that the last version I have a license on was / is also v.12 Ultra.
    Started out with v5 'DeLuxe', upgraded each time, except 8 end ended up with 12 Ultra. In total I payed Eur.360 (which currently is USD.360) so USD.60 in average per upgrade...

That aside, I do not remember anymore, the last upgrade was January 2013: I -think- that PowerDVD v12 did not support context menu?
    I believe in later version context menu was supported, but not yet in 12 (?)
    Also bought Zoom Player (Eur.35) but somewhat later it stopped playing VIDEO_TS and also I didn't get sound.

From that point on I used MPC-BE...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure what you mean by 'context menu'. The only 'issue' I get with BD's (I do also use DVDFab Passkey) is that I often get a message stating that PowerDVd has to be updated. I let it go through the motions of the update - which does not happen - and the the BD plays fine.

As for vlc I get a disk to play by two methods:

1. Start vlc. Media Menu >> Open Disk >> browse to Video_ts folder (not any of the files within) >> hit 'play'

or

2. Start Windows Explorer. Browse to Video_ts folder. Right-click on video_ts.ifo (not the vob) and right-click 'Open with' select vlc

With both I get the actual dvd menu.
    Quote Quote  
  9. What about PotPlayer?

BTW I tested it now, it works good with PotPlayer, MPC-BE and VLC, started with VIDEO_TS.IFO or drag&drop the folder with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Been away for a few days.

Thank you both for the suggestion of playing the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. I was not aware of it.
    Tried it with a few different files and things went fine.

Normally I r-click the VIDEO_TS folder and select "Play with MPC-BE".

Regretfully I can't recall the last time that MPC-BE got stuck in the menu.

Anyway, thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    Maybe PowerDVD. I had a license once. Every year an upgrade at $.... it became a very costly business.
    So I stopped with it. I only need a player. For 'normal' MP4, MKV, AVI etc MPC is doing fine.
    Often it isn't necessary to upgrade to a new version of PowerDVD every year. As I recall, Cyberlink makes patches available for at least a couple of years to fix bugs or support newly released DVDs and Blu-ray discs. Even after the patches stop, PowerDVD still continues to work for many new releases.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got Powerdvd 6 (from 2004) on an old XP box. Always though it was a great app, it looks like this:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pdvd6.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	66958  

Quote Quote