VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all! I‘m looking for suggestions on how to make one of my PC monitors capture all video just like a DVR would do. I.E., constant recording but the ability to pause, rewind, replay certain parts, etc. while it’s still recording the live video. It doesn’t matter the format of the recorded video.

Seems simple enough but I haven’t found a solution. A capture card would work but it doesn’t seem like it has DVR functionality.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You'll need the right software, I didn't see what operating system you use, I'm assuming Windows of some kind, I would look into SageTV (not free) and GB-PVR (free)
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GB-PVR has been superseded by NextPVR. I used NextPVR with a Hauppauge HD-PVR Colossus capture device to record TV for several months. Unlike other HD capture devices, there are plugins for several Hauppauge models in the HD-PVR/HD-PVR 2 family which allow them to work with NextPVR. I could pause and re-wind live TV. However, recording is handled via a program guide. There is no record button for initiating and stopping a recording when watching live TV. Also, the supported capture devices either do not record 1080p60 video or frame decimate to 1080p30.

[Edit]I was wrong about the presence of a record button. One is not provided on the user interface, but using the record button on an MCE remote contol or Ctrl-K causes live TV to be recorded. Recording stops at that TV program's scheduled end time.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Dec 2015 at 01:33. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only thing that can do all this in a box is hd cctv system and a conversion box (hdmi/vga input to rca)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah I'm using Windows 10. The recording source wouldn't be on a TV, it would be everything displayed on a PC monitor whether it's a video player, a slide show presentation, etc..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
    Yeah I'm using Windows 10. The recording source wouldn't be on a TV, it would be everything displayed on a PC monitor whether it's a video player, a slide show presentation, etc..
    I cannot remember using any true capture software which offers pause/rewind/replay capability during capture.

The biggest barrier to using NextPVR for your application is that only a small number of capture-only devices are supported and those devices only accept a limited number of resolutions and frame rates for capture. The native resolution and frame rates for monitors often falls outside those limits. For example, 1920x1080 at 60Hz (60 frames per second) is very common for LCD monitors, but the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 can only capture that as 1920x1080 at 30 frames per second, and the Hauppauge Colossus doesn't accept 1080p input. To be honest, the native monitor resolutions and frame rates used by some monitors fall outside the limits of all or nearly all capture devices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There alway SageTV and it free now
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DJQuad wants to capture a PC monitor screen, which means he is capturing the output from the PC's video card. To record exactly what the monitor shows, he should be capturing at the monitors recommended resolution and refresh rate. Assuming he has a 1080p monitor (probably the most common these days), that is normally 1920x1080 resolution and 60Hz/60 fps for the refresh rate. SageTV has the same problem as NextPVR. It does not support any suitable HDMI capture devices.

Like NextPVR, SageTV only supports devices that accept 1080p60 input, but capture it as 1080p30. Loosing half the frames is rarely acceptable unless someone is capturing video specifically to post it on a website that is limited to 30fps video.

Although there are true 1080p60 capture devices that capture 1080p60 as 1080p60, no Windows PVR software supports them. ...and I doubt that the HD-PVR 60 is supported. It is too new. Hauppauge hasn't even posted the specs for it on their website yet.

If the monitor's native resolution is not 1920x1080 or 1280x720, then just finding a capture device that can record the screen as it is becomes more difficult.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD-PVR 60 out box should be all ready support in thoses apps usually_quiet, Most people don't know but the Hauppauge Capture Tool is base on NextPVR, Cast4ME, GamerCap and TSCapture software all done by NextPVR Technologies SDK or Menten Holdings Ltd aka Graeme Blackley know as Sub on the forum.
    I don't know if SageTV will work but soon I get one you can check the sagetv forum as that wherer I make a posting
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    HD-PVR 60 out box should be all ready support in thoses apps usually_quiet, Most people don't know but the Hauppauge Capture Tool is base on NextPVR, Cast4ME, GamerCap and TSCapture software all done by NextPVR Technologies SDK or Menten Holdings Ltd aka Graeme Blackley know as Sub on the forum.
    I don't know if SageTV will work but soon I get one you can check the sagetv forum as that wherer I make a posting
    Since I use NextPVR, I do know that Sub developed all those programs and that he is the owner of Menten Holdings Ltd.

I'm sure that Hauppauge Capture has already been modified to support the HD-PVR 60, but NextPVR's website doesn't list HD-PVR 60 as a supported device. However, since I am running the latest version of NextPVR released on December 5, I can check the device configuration file later to see if it is in there.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found nothing useful in the config file, but the change log for NextPvr's December 5 release says support for the HD-PVR 60 was added. ...but since I know nothing about the HD-PVR 60, other than it is supposed to be able to record 1080p60 video, I'm only going to say it might be something DJQuad can use with NextPVR to record the video output to a monitor.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Dec 2015 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I give a hint you can't miss it just read the Version History for GamerCap, It is more likely there but done in a diff way wherer you can see it vs all older card, I think it BDA type interface.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I give a hint you can't miss it just read the Version History for GamerCap, It is more likely there but done in a diff way wherer you can see it vs all older card, I think it BDA type interface.
    I already wrote that the change log for NextPVR stated that it supports the HD-PVR 60, so why do I need a hint?

However, just because the HD-PVR 60 is supported by NextPVR or Gamercap doesn't mean it is a good capture device. Hauppauge has no product page with specs for it. There are no adequate reviews to read. I'm not going to recommend a capture device without knowing more about it. It isn't unusual for a newly released capture device to have significant problems.

[Edit] Since DJQuad is new to this forum, I think it is fair to point out that SHS has a special relationship with Hauppaugue, and is not an unbiased source of information about their products.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Dec 2015 at 23:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SageTV is solid and reliable - been using it for many years now. And now it's free. And it's easy to load your settings - you can enter them in NotePad, and save a copy, and just load them in its directory (and another for backup).

BeyondTV is very good, but it's no longer developed, but if it's free somewhere it wouldn't be so bad. I would have liked it better than SageTV, but its web-based interface where you had to load your settings was annoying, and didn't work well for me. When I had to settle with the defaults, I stopped using it.

Never tried NextPVR, but if I remember correctly, its predecessor GB-PVR had one of the most exhaustive installations ever. And, in the end, although it was capable of many things, it didn't do the one thing I really did want. But it could work well for others as I see it's still going strong. And it's free.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Never tried NextPVR, but if I remember correctly, its predecessor GB-PVR had one of the most exhaustive installations ever. And, in the end, although it was capable of many things, it didn't do the one thing I really did want. But it could work well for others as I see it's still going strong. And it's free.
    True, the freeware PVR software I have tried is harder to set up than commercial PVR software like WMC. For one thing, free PVR software doesn't include guide data service. Users have to arrange that for themselves, and some data sources are harder to set up than others. ...and because users don't all obtain guide data from the same source, the procedure for setting up the program guide is more hands-on. It is necessary for the user to handle mapping the scanned channels to the guide data. Sometimes there is an automated mapping feature (NextPVR has one), but those don't always work perfectly. If there are 230 channels or more in your cable TV package, mapping them manually can entail a lot of work.

Setting up the digital tuners and capture devices themselves in NextPVR was easy. Setting up analog tuners would be trickier, but I didn't do that since I have no analog channels left to tune. I had the choice of changing channels on my cable box via the ExDeus Firewire driver package or a special IR blaster cable that plugged into a port on the back of the cable box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    True, the freeware PVR software I have tried is harder to set up than commercial PVR software like WMC. For one thing, free PVR software doesn't include guide data service. Users have to arrange that for themselves, and some data sources are harder to set up than others. ...and because users don't all obtain guide data from the same source, the procedure for setting up the program guide is more hands-on. It is necessary for the user to handle mapping the scanned channels to the guide data. Sometimes there is an automated mapping feature (NextPVR has one), but those don't always work perfectly. If there are 230 channels or more in your cable TV package, mapping them manually can entail a lot of work.

Setting up the digital tuners and capture devices themselves in NextPVR was easy. Setting up analog tuners would be trickier, but I didn't do that since I have no analog channels left to tune. I had the choice of changing channels on my cable box via the ExDeus Firewire driver package or a special IR blaster cable that plugged into a port on the back of the cable box.
    It was like 5+ years ago for me, so I don't remember the details now, but I do remember it was taking forever to get anything working with the older GB-PVR. Even the installation itself took over an hour IIRC, asking me this, that, probably even the price of tea in China for all I remember. But I do remember it was rather grueling to say the least.

I don't remember now, but likely I was trying to pick up some OTA/QAM signal/Cable/whatever stations I wanted back then, and it didn't do it. And for some reason, analog capture didn't work either. Maybe it was a capture device I was using then? Don't remember.

What I'm trying to say is that it wasn't bad software, just didn't do what I personally wanted because of my area, or provider, or equipment, so it may work well for others. It was indeed a very robust program. But the intallation was indeed LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG, so to first-timers - be ready.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was like 5+ years ago for me, so I don't remember the details now, but I do remember it was taking forever to get anything working with the older GB-PVR. Even the installation itself took over an hour IIRC, asking me this, that, probably even the price of tea in China for all I remember. But I do remember it was rather grueling to say the least.

I don't remember now, but likely I was trying to pick up some OTA/QAM signal/Cable/whatever stations I wanted back then, and it didn't do it. And for some reason, analog capture didn't work either. Maybe it was a capture device I was using then? Don't remember.

What I'm trying to say is that it wasn't bad software, just didn't do what I personally wanted because of my area, or provider, or equipment, so it may work well for others. It was indeed a very robust program. But the intallation was indeed LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG, so to first-timers - be ready.
    You would probably have an easier time setting up NextPVR today for OTA with a digital tuner, especially if you use Schedules Direct for guide data. Channel mapping would be the most tedious part, but the residents of most N. American cities probably have fewer than 50 channels available to them OTA.

The free version of SageTV doesn't include guide service either. Those who bought SageTV before Google bought the company are able to continue using SageTV's guide service, but when Google finally stops paying for guide service, then those SageTV users will have to migrate to other sources. Those who use the free version of SageTV but never had the paid version face the same kind of guide data issues as with other free PVR software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Dec 2015 at 12:13. Reason: added the word "if" before "you use Schedules Direct"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I already wrote that the change log for NextPVR stated that it supports the HD-PVR 60, so why do I need a hint?

However, just because the HD-PVR 60 is supported by NextPVR or Gamercap doesn't mean it is a good capture device. Hauppauge has no product page with specs for it. There are no adequate reviews to read. I'm not going to recommend a capture device without knowing more about it. It isn't unusual for a newly released capture device to have significant problems.

[Edit] Since DJQuad is new to this forum, I think it is fair to point out that SHS has a special relationship with Hauppaugue, and is not an unbiased source of information about their products.
    Never mind I see you edit, where at frist I though you said you didn't see anything config show it listed if I recall rigth before you edited the post ?.
    Last edited by SHS; 22nd Dec 2015 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't get me wrong usually_quiet but GB-PVR and NextPVR had no Wizard build in nor direct support for USB-UIRT amd get it configure was a bit of a pain neck.
    In order to used Client Mode you have to share root in c:\Users\Public\(some folder) for it work which that is not good idea I don't know if sub ever change that.
    I didn't care for corn ball UI look all that much
    There no way a to mark show watch and lacking good useful features
    Picture, Music and Video side of needed a lot works ekk
    I will say I haven't look at it in years but that what I recall

SageTV doesn't include guide service either, You do know that SageTV also support Schedules Direct too and it work just fine with Plug-in and there working on directly embeded Schedules Direct as part of SageTV code for Setup Wizard for both Windows and Linux

Both have downs when dealing with OTA/QAM with a digital tuner more so with SageTV and QAM scanning that to is being address as well
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never mind I see you edit, where at frist I though you said you didn't see anything config show it listed if I recall rigth before you edited the post ?.
    No. From the beginning my post said: "I found nothing useful in the config file, but the change log for NextPvr's December 5 release says support for the HD-PVR 60 was added." I edited the next part.

The problem is, as always, that you are functionally illiterate in English.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't get me wrong usually_quiet but GB-PVR and NextPVR had no Wizard build in nor direct support for USB-UIRT amd get it configure was a bit of a pain neck.
    In order to used Client Mode you have to share root in c:\Users\Public\(some folder) for it work which that is not good idea I don't know if sub ever change that.
    I didn't care for corn ball UI look all that much
    There no way a to mark show watch and lacking good useful features
    Picture, Music and Video side of needed a lot works ekk
    I will say I haven't look at it in years but that what I recall

SageTV doesn't include guide service either, You do know that SageTV also support Schedules Direct too and it work just fine with Plug-in and there working on directly embeded Schedules Direct as part of SageTV code for Setup Wizard for both Windows and Linux

Both have downs when dealing with OTA/QAM with a digital tuner more so with SageTV and QAM scanning that to is being address as well
    NextPVR isn't GBPVR with a few tweaks. Sub started over when he developed NextPVR and has continued to fix bugs, add features, and improve the user interface. The user interface isn't slick-looking, but it works for my purposes. ...and since I am using NextPVR now, I am better qualified than you are to discuss what it can currently do.

Also, the original purpose for this thread is to help someone capture a monitor screen, not to help someone find the best PVR software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
    Hey all! I‘m looking for suggestions on how to make one of my PC monitors capture all video just like a DVR would do. I.E., constant recording but the ability to pause, rewind, replay certain parts, etc. while it’s still recording the live video. It doesn’t matter the format of the recorded video.

Seems simple enough but I haven’t found a solution. A capture card would work but it doesn’t seem like it has DVR functionality.

Thanks in advance!
    Nobody support multi replay certain parts any way only an video edit can do that after the video done recording.
    All DVR only have ability to pause, rewind but not replay certain parts as in video loop if that what you mean ? good luck with that as that is own by TiVo.
    How ever recording certain parts with Elgato it called Flashback Recording with Hauppauge it called Skipback Recording if that what after this for video buffer mode so longer you make the more you can go back in time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NextPVR isn't GBPVR with a few tweaks. Sub started over when he developed NextPVR and has continued to fix bugs, add features, and improve the user interface. The user interface isn't slick-looking, but it works for my purposes. ...and since I am using NextPVR now, I am better qualified than you are to discuss what it can currently do.

Also, the original purpose for this thread is to help someone capture a monitor screen, not to help someone find the best PVR software.
    He ask DVR functionality and yes apply PVR software it dose if TV or your PC monitor as it apply to capturing video
    What I think he need is not DVR functionality but something more like Steaming/Rec functionality that works like DVR functionality
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by SHS View Post

He ask DVR functionality and yes apply PVR software it dose if TV or your PC monitor as it apply to capturing video
    What I think he need is not DVR functionality but something more like Steaming/Rec functionality that works like DVR functionality
    That's right. Admittedly a lot of this is over my head, but it appears that SageTV might work. Ideally I'd like to record at 1080p/60fps, but I'll take what I can get.

A great example is recording live game play which is obviously on a PC monitor, but with the ability to do sort of an instant replay when needed as it's still recording the live video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the new HD-PVR 60 sitting here now.
    As of now SageTV dosen't seem be working with HD-PVR 60.
    I have to look and see if NextPVR work with HD-PVR 60.
    The good news Xsplit seem suppurt instant replay but I think it only support under the Xsplit Broadcaster and not the Gamecaster ver, Note I have not tested Xsplit.
    Elgato software may have instant replay but at the time I look at it didn't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    You would probably have an easier time setting up NextPVR today for OTA with a digital tuner, especially if you use Schedules Direct for guide data. Channel mapping would be the most tedious part, but the residents of most N. American cities probably have fewer than 50 channels available to them OTA.

The free version of SageTV doesn't include guide service either. Those who bought SageTV before Google bought the company are able to continue using SageTV's guide service, but when Google finally stops paying for guide service, then those SageTV users will have to migrate to other sources. Those who use the free version of SageTV but never had the paid version face the same kind of guide data issues as with other free PVR software.
    I'm sure you're correct on GB-PVR's successor, and I honestly didn't try to put it down, just stating what its ancestor was like.

But, it was a whim of the moment then long gone now, and SageTV has been doing exactly what I want it to be doing for me every since. (And nobody wants to mess with a working solution regarding TV playback/recording/etc.) Until SageTV stops performing suddenly or in the future, then yes, after reading your posts here, NextPVR would be my next choice to try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But, it was a whim of the moment then long gone now, and SageTV has been doing exactly what I want it to be doing for me every since. (And nobody wants to mess with a working solution regarding TV playback/recording/etc.) Until SageTV stops performing suddenly or in the future, then yes, after reading your posts here, NextPVR would be my next choice to try.
    You want to rethink that PuzZLeR
    I hoping that EMBY will move away from 3rdparty plug-in and start doing directly support capture card then this will be another option so for now they only support HDHomeRun with Schedules Direct.
    But some how I think all Cablecard are DOA anyway as more more channel are getting more DRM approved "Copy Once" really means "You can't watch this channel" So anything marked for DRM protection is unrecordable you usely see this a lot with 1st new run show.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hoping that EMBY will move away from 3rdparty plug-in and start doing directly support capture card then this will be another option so for now they only support HDHomeRun with Schedules Direct.
    But some how I think all Cablecard are DOA anyway as more more channel are getting more DRM approved "Copy Once" really means "You can't watch this channel" So anything marked for DRM protection is unrecordable you usely see this a lot with 1st new run show.
    Wow, Emby does look nice. And it's only one payment if you want it for life (hate subscription costs...).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, Emby does look nice. And it's only one payment if you want it for life (hate subscription costs...).
    The License is only for additional bonus features such as Cover Art, Mobile Sync, Cloud Sync, and free Android apps other then you don't need it just so know in fact I used it for all DVD/Bluray Rip Media, Video, Picture and Muisc a long with SageTV just a DVR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found nothing useful in the config file, but the change log for NextPvr's December 5 release says support for the HD-PVR 60 was added. ...but since I know nothing about the HD-PVR 60, other than it is supposed to be able to record 1080p60 video, I'm only going to say it might be something DJQuad can use with NextPVR to record the video output to a monitor.
    Good news is that NextPVR 3.6.6 dose see the HD-PVR 60 and was able to record and livetv works as well just know
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nextpvr_hd-pvr60.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	35008  

Quote Quote