VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, what's the best way to transfer Hi8 tapes to PC, what type or brand of camcorder to use for the playback etc... thanks. Never even seen a Hi8 tape before, don't know anthing about it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Use a Hi8 VCR. Has more/better electronics than most camcorders, like TBC, NR, DOC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Use a Hi8 VCR. Has more/better electronics than most camcorders, like TBC, NR, DOC.
    My Sony Digital8 camcorder has TBC and NR, for Hi8 and Video8 playback. Along with s-video out. What is DOC?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Drop Out Compensation?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would recommend using a Sony Digital8 camcorder made between the years 2000 and 2007. Connect it to your computer via FireWire (it will actively digitize the video and you will have full control over the mode of operation), and then you can use your favorite capture software to capture the video as a DV-AVI file (as close as you can get to the original). Some people say to use a capture card so as to allow full color resolution that DV would limit, but the thing is, DV's color resolution limitations are more loose than those of Hi8. In other words, transferring Hi8 to DV will not result in any color loss (the other way around would). If you want to edit out blank spots of video and control your camcorder right on screen, I would recommend Scenalyzer, which is free now.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote