VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! i worked for years doing subtitles works... and lately, i'm having problems with Nepalese and Persian subtitles... They are perfect in the .srt file that i have... And as external subtitles, they appear perfectly too in Vimeo or Youtube website... The only problems is when i try to encode the video with the subtitles baked in it (hardcoded)... I tried many options (utf-8 etc etc) and many software (handbrake, convertxtodvd, any video converter etc etc) and first i thought they were alright, but the translator guys said it was not. For example, instead of showing अर्थशास्त्र, like it is in the .srt file, or in youtube, they become अर् थ शा स् त् र ... And for the Farsi subtitle (Persian), the order of the words are in reverse...

All my doc (srt, docx, rtf, txt...) show the text perfectly, and it's so easy for youtube or vimeo to make it work too, why the encoding software are not able to do it??

i need to have the videos with the hardcoded subtitles, because we have an offer of downloading the videos (video on demand) and the subtitles can't be downloaded this way...

any ideas, guys?
    Last edited by galazul; 8th Jun 2017 at 16:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are your subtitles o.k. in vlc player ?
    If yes, you can try How to render subtitles with VLC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can offer a work around, you may or may not like

Play the video on your PC and screen record it while it plays with the correct sub titling

The use that video for your down load offer

Your subs will be part of the recorded image, aka hard coded can not be changed or miss managed
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Are your subtitles o.k. in vlc player ?
    If yes, you can try How to render subtitles with VLC
    no, vlc would't show the subtitles properly... Looks nice, but it does the same little mistakes than the encoding softwares make. Thanks though!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    i'm not sure if i tried this one... maybe not. i will give a shot. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    I can offer a work around, you may or may not like

Play the video on your PC and screen record it while it plays with the correct sub titling

The use that video for your down load offer

Your subs will be part of the recorded image, aka hard coded can not be changed or miss managed
    I thought about this solution... but i'm not familiar with this process... And i don't know if the final quality could be good enough? Would you do that with a program like "Free Screen Video Recorder"? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by galazul View Post
    Hi! i worked for years doing subtitles works... and lately, i'm having problems with Nepalese and Persian subtitles... They are perfect in the .srt file that i have...
    HOW do you get your .srt subs to be displayed properly

I presume you use VSFilter or ffdshow in a DirectShow-based media player (MPC-HC, PotPlayer, etc.)

VSFilter can function as an Avisynth plugin, and this is the method I prefer and recommend.

When your AVS file is previewed correctly in VirtualDub, then you can use it with any application which support AVS files

(ffmpeg, x264, HCenc, MainConcept Reference, Expression Encoder, etc etc etc).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Free screen recorder should work for this
    Although I used a different program for screen recordings
    When I find it necessary
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can download Nepali TTF from here http://www.nepali.info/nepali/fonts/
    There is also how to install it. Then you should be able in VLC preference choose this font for subtitles instead of UTF-8.
    You can use Potplayer for video capture. Alt-C to setup it...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Hi! i worked for years doing subtitles works... and lately, i'm having problems with Nepalese and Persian subtitles... They are perfect in the .srt file that i have...
    HOW do you get your .srt subs to be displayed properly

I presume you use VSFilter or ffdshow in a DirectShow-based media player (MPC-HC, PotPlayer, etc.)

VSFilter can function as an Avisynth plugin, and this is the method I prefer and recommend.

When your AVS file is previewed correctly in VirtualDub, then you can use it with any application which support AVS files

(ffmpeg, x264, HCenc, MainConcept Reference, Expression Encoder, etc etc etc).
    i never could display the sub files correctly in a video other than online.... (youtube and vimeo)... until i dowload potplayer, following your commentaries... That's someting! now i see there's a "video recording"... would that be the succesful end of my quest??
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can download Nepali TTF from here http://www.nepali.info/nepali/fonts/
    There is also how to install it. Then you should be able in VLC preference choose this font for subtitles instead of UTF-8.
    You can use Potplayer for video capture. Alt-C to setup it...
    Thanks guys! months and months searching in the web a solution... Never have heard of potplayer before now...!! thank you v-e-r-y m-u-c-h!!! Will let you know if i succeed!!

that will be for the documentary Economics of Happiness... https://vimeo.com/theeconomicsofhappiness/videos
    There's a shorter version, free : https://youtu.be/pyQaUDLW6ts
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM

i never could display the sub files correctly in a video other than online.... (youtube and vimeo)...
    Well, that sucks

until i dowload potplayer, following your commentaries... That's someting! now i see there's a "video recording"... would that be the succesful end of my quest??
    I don't know. Anyway, would you mind uploading to this topic one of your nepalese or persian SRTs
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM

i never could display the sub files correctly in a video other than online.... (youtube and vimeo)...
    Well, that sucks

until i dowload potplayer, following your commentaries... That's someting! now i see there's a "video recording"... would that be the succesful end of my quest??
    I don't know. Anyway, would you mind uploading to this topic one of your nepalese or persian SRTs
    here the Nepalese subtitle : nepali-sub.srt
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it seems that potplayer doesnt record subtitles in default settings. Choose in video-video renderer -> overlay mixer it works with subtitles for sure.
    Maybe others too but EVR custom presets not...

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it seems that potplayer doesnt record subtitles in default settings. Choose in video-video renderer -> overlay mixer it works with subtitles for sure.
    Maybe others too but EVR custom presets not...

Bernix
    Excelent! thanks for the advice!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I noticed, you have to have subtitles in TV-out. I dont understand it....
    Quote Quote  
  17. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, I tested the file you shared (many thanks for that) in Avisynth, and this is the result;

please tell us whether the subtitle filter worked as expected, or not.

First, the Avisynth test script:

Code:
    LoadPlugin("PATH-TO\xy-VSFilter-300288.dll")
    BlankClip(width=1138, height=640, fps=25, length=99000).KillAudio()
    TextSub("nepali-sub.srt")
    ConvertToYV12(matrix="Rec709")
    And below, a screenshot gotten from VirtualDub:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nepali-subs-test.png
Views:	247
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	37432  

Quote Quote  
  18. You could try to convert them to a graphical subtitle format like vobsub. You can do this with SubtitleEdit, but you will have to split most of the lines in your sample to 2 lines as they are quite long.

I tried this with your sample srt and it looks like it worked, but I can't read Nepali so you will have to try this yourself to see if it works.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, I tested the file you shared (many thanks for that) in Avisynth, and this is the result;

please tell us whether the subtitle filter worked as expected, or not.

First, the Avisynth test script:

Code:
    LoadPlugin("PATH-TO\xy-VSFilter-300288.dll")
    BlankClip(width=1138, height=640, fps=25, length=99000).KillAudio()
    TextSub("nepali-sub.srt")
    ConvertToYV12(matrix="Rec709")
    And below, a screenshot gotten from VirtualDub:
    could you send me a screenshot from this time, instead :
    00:00:57,840 --> 00:01:02,520
    सुखको अर्थशास्त्र

this is my reference point... i can't read Nepalese either, but the translator told me about this line... Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM

सुखको अर्थशास्त्र

this is my reference point... i can't read Nepalese either, but the translator told me about this line... Thanks!!
    Here it goes:
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davejavu View Post
    You could try to convert them to a graphical subtitle format like vobsub. You can do this with SubtitleEdit, but you will have to split most of the lines in your sample to 2 lines as they are quite long.

I tried this with your sample srt and it looks like it worked, but I can't read Nepali so you will have to try this yourself to see if it works.
    Looks like it's working, yes... And once i have the .sub and .idx file, wich software can i use to burn them with the video? handbrake can't do that, right? any suggestion? thank you!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM

सुखको अर्थशास्त्र

Here it goes:
    yes! it's working! but i don't know how to use avisynth... i installed it, but can't find an .exe file to open the program...
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Avisynth processes scripts and serves frames. It runs when you open the AVS script in VirtualDub. You need to adapt El Heggunte's script in a text editor, replacing BlankClip with the appropriate source filter specifying your video file, then save it with the AVS extension.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's fantastic... thanks to all of you guys, you brought me many solutions... after months of searching...! Thanks for the hint Davejavu : to convert the .srt to .idx and .sub file was the most helpful... I could then use the subtitles with convertxtodvd or xvid4psp for example, with good results. I used Txt2vobsub to do that, and to change the font, the size and the placement of the text. Very greatful.
    Last edited by galazul; 20th Jun 2016 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well... that was for the Nepalese subtitles... i still couldn't resolve the Farsi problem... The docx comes out well, but the .srt not. The .txt neither... Just when i copy the text from the doc, the problem appears... It's mostly a punctuation problem... The comas, the 2 points, the points appears at the left of the sentences instead of the right... Quite annoying... I found a promising shPersianSubtitleFixer.exe[Win] tool, but didn't work for me...
    Quote Quote  
  26. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Well... that was for the Nepalese subtitles... i still couldn't resolve the Farsi problem... The docx comes out well, but the .srt not. The .txt neither... Just when i copy the text from the doc, the problem appears... It's mostly a punctuation problem... The comas, the 2 points, the points appears at the left of the sentences instead of the right...
    So you're copying from M$ Word and pasting into... WHICH program Notepad? Wordpad? One of the well-known subtitle editors?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well... that was for the Nepalese subtitles... i still couldn't resolve the Farsi problem... The docx comes out well, but the .srt not. The .txt neither... Just when i copy the text from the doc, the problem appears... It's mostly a punctuation problem... The comas, the 2 points, the points appears at the left of the sentences instead of the right...
    So you're copying from M$ Word and pasting into... WHICH program Notepad? Wordpad? One of the well-known subtitle editors?
    yes, trying to save from Word to .txt, .rtf first... then copying the text in notepad, subtitle edit... trying farsi font, trying arabic encoding... Evene tried to delete the punctuation manualy, and put it in the right place, but it won't let me... They sent me a .stl file from dvd studio pro, with all the .png images from the text, but i don't have this program...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok.. so, updating this post, i have new infos... The Nepalese problem has been solved, in Subtitle Edit... I just had to click on EXPORT, and choose vobsub... and then, encoding the .idx file with xvid4psp. The subtitle is more clean and neat than with txt2vobsub...

For the Farsi issue, i did record with a program the video directly in Vimeo... but i didn't like so much the result, it was a bit jerky... slightly... I realized too, that my sub or text file was not correct... To have it correct, i had to click on "read right to left"... Even Subtitle Edit has this option, but when i want to export to the Vobsub format or Bluray Sup format, it comes again to the normal sense, left to right... I wrote to the guy who created this software and he told me to do that, but this is what i had done, and it didn't work, i wrote him back and am waiting for his answer...
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Galazul, you can hardcode / hardsub subtitles in any language on titlebee, including right-to-left languages like Farsi. Just make sure you select the correct language on the track:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sc2.png
Views:	217
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	38033

Click image for larger version

Name:	sc1.png
Views:	154
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	38032

You can download it here http://www.titlebee.com/
    Quote Quote