VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mickgreen58
    I got one more question for you guys and I will leave you alone.

39 out of 42 of my current episodes of Flame of Recca have a source of NTSC (29.97), which converted fine.

40-42 are PAL.

My question is when I load them into FitCD, the Source (Left side) checks the PAL checkbox and the Frame Rate at the top is 25 fps (I think it checks PAL on the right too but I am at work so I cant remember).

Do I want to keep the source checked as PAL and leave the frame rate as 25 because FitCD will convert it to NTSC or do I want to uncheck PAL and change the frame rate to 29.97 because non of my DVDs play PAL?

- Mike G.
    This is the "best" way to deal with it ...

Assuming the source is a MPEG-4 (DivX or XviD) AVI file I would NOT checkmark the PAL option on the source side. Since you want NTSC you would NOT checkmark PAL on the destination side.

You will get a script that will properly resize the source to the NTSC DVD resolution ... however ... the frames per second will still be 25fps.

This is OK because there is a utility called DGPulldown that you can use AFTER you encode to MPEG-2.

Basically you want to set up your encoder so that you end up with a MPEG-2 with NTSC RESOLUTION but with 25fps ... a hybrid if you will. I've found with TMPGEnc Plus (I have never used TMPGEnc Express) that you want to use the PAL template (this will get everything correct like the GOP etc.) but make sure you change the template to 720x480 instead of 720x576.

After you get your MPEG-2 video file you run it through DGPulldown and select the option that says, "25fps ---> 29.970fps" and the new file that DGPulldown "spits out" will be fully NTSC DVD compliant. The nice thing about this method is that the running time (length) of the video is the same as the audio so you do NOT need to adjust the running time (length) of the audio.

The other way to do it ...

You checkmark PAL on the source side but do not checkmark PAL on the destination side. When you do this FitCD will add the following line into your script:
    AssumeFPS(23.976, true)

This will convert the frame per second from 25fps to 23.976fps and of course 23.976fps is the standard NTSC progressive video frame rate. You would then set up your encode as if you have a progressive NTSC source.

The only problem is that the running time of the video will change ... it will increase approximately 4% ... so you need to adjust the running time of the audio.

If you have AC-3 audio then you are better off using the DGPulldown method but if the audio is in a format you can easily get into a PCM WAV file (like if the original is MP3 audio) then you can use a program like GOLDWAVE for instance to change the audio.

GOLDWAVE has a TIME WARP function. You want to set that to 95.904%

This will "stretch" the audio so that it now matches the new running time of the NTSC MPEG-2 video version.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks FulciLives,

The files have actually been converted to MPEG-2 already via WinAvi. I always convert my AVIs to MPEG-2 using WinAvi and then either use DVD Lab or TMPGenc DVD Author (if im pressed for time) to make the DVD.

The weird thing is WinAvi has already converted it to NTSC compliant. When I open up Xilisoft to see the specs of the MPEG-2, it is NTSC, 29.97 FPS etc etc.

When I open the MPEG-2 up in FitCD, it starts checking the PAL options. Let me Terminal Server into my PC from work and look some other things for a second.

P.S.:When I look at the MPEG-2 options (by clicking advance) in WinAviConverter, the Video is always flipped upside down. It encodes correctly but I was just wondering why that was.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey FulciLives, let me Convert 40-42 AVIs to MPEG-2 using WinAvi like usual and I will get back with you. I think what I did was use 40-42 AVI as the source when making the AVS script for those instead of using their MPEG-2 files.

- Mike G.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives, I am at home at the moment and I am getting different results sitting here at the CPU as oppossed to going through Terminal Server.

Not confirmed 100%, more like 85% sure FitCD acts differently under Terminal Server.

At work, I would get the below error once I loaded the file using Terminal Server.

And when I am at home and I Terminal Server into the main CPU just to test Terminal Server, I got the below error just by opening FitCD, even though the program does open.

Will do more research to find out if there is a problem with FitCD and Terminal Server, as there are some programs that dont work well with it.

Oh, I was able to open the AVI and/or MPEG-2 files into FitCD without it checking the PAL option. If I didnt state it earlier, it was doing that when I was going through Terminal Server. I knew something was odd because even the original AVIs were 29.97 and DVD Compliant, so I knew something was wrong when FitCD kept checking PAL.

- Mike G.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded Ghost in the Shell II about 1 year ago in MKV format.
    That appears to be a copyrighted video, and as so, discussion would be in violation of our rules.

Please read our rules before posting. Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by mickgreen58
    I was searching in this orum and now I am starting to wonder if I can just use WinAvi to do the clipping for me, since that is my tool of choice to encode to MPEG-2 anyway.
    You don't want to clip. You want to add a black border all around the picture so the black border falls in the televisions overscan region, not the edges of the movie.
    I see this thread is old but I'll just give it a shot and see if someone here can help. I also have an overscan problem and I don't think there's any way I can take it off on the TV as I've already tried many times. Anyways, what you said made so much sense. Putting the black borders all around so that only the black parts get cut off seems like a great idea. I'm new at this so I hope I'm not bothering but I'm using AviDemux and I see when you go to Video>Filters>Transform a lot of choices that I think would help me do what I want to do. My mkv files' resolution is 704x480 and I will be watching my DVD on a 720p TV. Now the problem is how big would I make these borders?

Also, the reason why I'm using AviDemux is because I want to convert it to an mpeg which is the DVD format with the subtitles identical to the original mkv and it does that but with problems. I'm using DVDStyler with that to burn because it creates custom menus. More info about that is available in my sig if you'd like to check that out.

Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    As far as using FitCD I wrote a mini-guide in another thread ... here is the link:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=296341
    FitCD seems very helpful as it already does the overscan fix for you without doing the math. Now I have another question. For my MKV to MPEG-PS would any of those setting change because I see that's for MPEG-4 Xvid and I'm so confused and not sure if that makes a difference.

Actually I don't even see my sig showing up here. I rarely use forums so it's weird because I have show signatures checked in my settings. Oh well...here it is incase it's not there:
    Please help! Overscan, Nominal Bitrate, Fps, DVD I'd really appreciate it.
    -Mamimi
    Last edited by Mamimi; 31st Aug 2012 at 23:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK you said you have MKV files that are 704x480 but you didn't say if they are 4:3 or 16x9

SolveigMM AVI Trimmer + MKV is a great free program that will let you cut out a section from a MKV and I suggest you do that and then put it on some file hosting site (for instance SendSpace or MediaFire or Ubuntu One) and post the link here. That way I can download it and have something to work with. It doesn't have to be long. 30 - 60 seconds is more than long enough.

P.S.
    Maybe you should do it in that other thread you started rather than do it here.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    OK you said you have MKV files that are 704x480 but you didn't say if they are 4:3 or 16x9

SolveigMM AVI Trimmer + MKV is a great free program that will let you cut out a section from a MKV and I suggest you do that and then put it on some file hosting site (for instance SendSpace or MediaFire or Ubuntu One) and post the link here. That way I can download it and have something to work with. It doesn't have to be long. 30 - 60 seconds is more than long enough.

P.S.
    Maybe you should do it in that other thread you started rather than do it here.
    Omg true I forgot that part. The display aspect ratio 4:3 in the original mkv and in the mpeg conversion but 3:2 after I extract the audio video and subtitles and merge the audio and video together so that I can then add the subtitles to it when I convert it in AviDemux. I want to play it on a widescreen 16:9 TV. True that too. I'll continue this in the other thread then.
    Quote Quote