VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Has anyone tried this "speed Optimizer" it's from this website http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Here's the description:
    Description: The TCP Optimizer is a free Windows program designed to help optimize your Internet connection. Just download and run, no installaion required. The program makes it easy to find the best MaxMTU value, test latency and tweak all the important broadband related registry parameters. The Optimizer can be helpful with tuning any Internet connection type, from dialup to Gigabit+ If you need help with the program, read our broadband tweaking articles, the Optimizer FAQ, and/or visit our Forums. As an alternative, you can try one of our generic Registry patches instead.

I was just wondering if...
    1. It works
    and
    2. is it free from spyware and other crap

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. It works, if you understand what you're tweaking with it.
    Beware that you may be voiding the agreement you made with your ISP if you use this.
    It's got no spyware or other crap.
    Speedguide.net are reputable people.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  3. kool thanks but what do you mean by "you may be voiding the agreement you made with your ISP if you use this" that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 808smokey
    kool thanks but what do you mean by "you may be voiding the agreement you made with your ISP if you use this" that?
    It means that if your ISP catches you, they can cut your service.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The tweaks it performs on your system may void the agreement. If your ISP only allows 2 simpltaneous connections via any given protocall, and this tweaks it to 4, you could be in trouble.
    If your ISP has maxed out the MTU at 1500, but you find your system works better at a different number (not likely), etc. etc.
    Read the fine print before you go adjusting a bunch of settings you don't understand.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I tried it but it didnt work i looked at their faq on what to do and i think i followed it right, at least i bloody hope so!!

im with broadband 0.5 megabit so that wld be DSL right??

i restarted and noticed no difference..does this mean ill have to make adjustments to the registry??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Do you get your internet thru a phone line, or TV coax cable? Phone is DSL, other is cable.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    yeah phone line
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and run the "Tweak Test".

Read all the nfo and you'll learn a LOT about RWIN and finding your DSL-MTU (it's not the same as setting Cable-MTU).
    Quote Quote