VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello experts,

First time poster - but then again i just discovered this site!

I am working on a spot which is going to be broadcast on a cable TV show (an intro), I was wondering if you all can tell me

what format is best to render in (I'm using Sony Vegas) to broadcast on TV? Is it .avi, uncompressed? I want high quality sound and picture (as it appears on my computer).

Also, what about in HD? I'm currently rendering HDV in MPEG2 (.m2t) format. Will the output be as good on cable television?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the madness.

I suggest you author a DVD-R @ 720x480, 6Mbps with PCM (WAV) audio. Then the broadcaster can simply play the DVD into their system.

If you plan to produce a High Def DVD, you'll need to look into an authoring program that is High Def capable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adam08
    Hello experts,

First time poster - but then again i just discovered this site!

I am working on a spot which is going to be broadcast on a cable TV show (an intro), I was wondering if you all can tell me

what format is best to render in (I'm using Sony Vegas) to broadcast on TV? Is it .avi, uncompressed? I want high quality sound and picture (as it appears on my computer).

Also, what about in HD? I'm currently rendering HDV in MPEG2 (.m2t) format. Will the output be as good on cable television?

Thanks!
    What is your source format?

Is this for cable access? If so they usually have a tight definition for acceptable media. Around here, this is usually S-VHS or MiniDV format. DVD is accepted only in preapproved format. Commercial spots would have other definition, usually Betacam SP or Digital Betacam.

If you are talking about something like The Discovery Channel, then you would be talking HDV, HDCAM, XDCAM, DVCPro or Digital Betacam.

Those are tape delivery formats. Video render formats would be high bitrate 480i (either DV or uncompressed 4:2:2) or 1080i (HDV or uncompressed).

PS: If you are just delivering a clip to be edited into a show, talk to the show's Producer. He/She are responsible for the final delivered product.
    Quote Quote