VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So is the only way to record HD cable tv.. basically using a Tivo HD with a lifetime subscription and cable cards as a tuner/pass-thru to HDMI and then record hdcp lossey HDMI using something like a magewell HDMI card and a timer? .. or a sensor that watches tivo status lights
    Last edited by jwillis84; 18th May 2018 at 17:29.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
    So is the only way to record HD cable tv.. basically using a Tivo HD with a lifetime subscription and cable cards as a tuner/pass-thru to HDMI and then record hdcp lossey HDMI using something like a magewell HDMI card and a timer? .. or a sensor that watches tivo status lights
    I use a Silicondust HD Homerun Prime CableCARD tuner with a CableCARD rented from my provider and an older computer to record TV. The Silicondust HD Homerun Prime like other Silcondust tuners is a network device, and is accessible with any computer running appropriate software. Per rules for CableCARD devices, recordings of copy-once channels must be encrypted and are not portable. Recordings made from copy-freely channels are portable and are not encrypted. Except for premium channels like HBO and Showtime, most of the channels on Xfinity/Comcast and Verizon FIOS tend to be copy-freely. Time-Warner and Cablevision/Optimum tend to use copy-once protection on most channels. I don't know what Charter Spectrum and smaller, regional/local cable providers tend to do. AT&T is an IPTV service, so the only option is to use their equipment.

Nearly all of my channels are copy freely. I use NextPVR to record those. I subscribe to Schedules Direct, which costs $25/year, to provide NextPVR's program guide data. NextPVR won't record copy-once protected channels, but there is just one, MPLEX, in my package and I rarely watch it. If MPLEX is airing something that I want to record, I can use Windows 7's Media Center. Silicondust is working on its own DVR software, which will eventually be able to record copy-once and copy freely programming.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th May 2018 at 22:10.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet, that is very interesting.

my current setup is a HomeRun OTA with EyeTV and a yearly subscription to TVGuide for guide data.

my potential cable provider encrypts every cable channel and sets copy-once on everything, SD is a hard to get box option
    Last edited by jwillis84; 19th May 2018 at 13:52.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
    usually_quiet, that is interesting.

my current setup I use a HomeRun with EyeTV OTA and a yearly subscription to TVGuide for guide data.

My cable provider encrypts every cable channel and sets copy-once on everything.
    Comcast/Xfinity encrypts all channels for transmission to discourage theft of service, although it marks most of them "copy freely".

The HDHomerun Prime is a much more convenient solution, but for what it's worth, before I had an HDHomerun Prime, I had a cable box and used Windows Media Center or Next PVR with a Hauppauge HD-PVR Colossus for time-shifting. (Hauppauge created a Media Center Plug-in which allow Windows 7's Media Center to detect some Hauppauge Capture devices as a tuner.) I needed to use an HDMI splitter which removed HDCP as a side effect to record via HDMI. I could use either Firewire or an IR Blaster to control the cable box and change channels with NextPVR and Windows 7's Media Center. (The ExDeus STB Firewire Driver Package software which allowed using Firewire to control a cable box only works with some cable boxes and requires using 32-bit Windows.)

I don't know of any PVR software that would work with one of the Magewell HDMI capture devices. Magewell's HDMI capture devices aren't digital tuners, and there is nothing available to make them appear to be a digital tuner.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote