VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If I reset it to its default settings, after asking me if I want it to check periodically for updates, it then brings up a dialog box called New Version of the Icon Library, asking if I want to reassociate the icons. "This will fix the icons being incorrectly displayed after an update of the icon library. The file associations will not be modified, only the corresponding icons will be refreshed." Why am I getting this message every time I reset? I never used to. Is it normal? What's the point of it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We see this all the time between major and minor version updates ... some work, some completely break and others go into loops.

This is modern technology ... we expect things to break

In your case if it fails to take uninstall the application, reboot pc and download a fresh installer of the application and try again.

Report back if issue remains.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That didn't work the first time, but neither did MPC's desktop icon. It just appeared as a blank white sheet of paper, so I refreshed the icon cache, which fixed that problem, and then I reset MPC to its defaults again, and this time the dialog box about the new icon library didn't come up. So it probably has to do with my icon cache having been corrupted. I happen to know that my hard drive is on the verge of total failure, so I'd say that's probably the ultimate cause. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry, still need help with this. Here are a couple of posts I made on another forum.

There I go speaking too soon. The same problem's back again. I was having ANOTHER problem with MPC, which I'll discuss in another thread, so I decided to uninstall and reinstall it. When I'd finished reinstalling and opened it, I was again shown the message about the icon library. I thought the cache must have become corrupt again, and, sure enough, when I looked at the desktop icon for MPC, it had turned into a blank white sheet of paper. So I refreshed the icon cache again, thinking this would again solve the problem of the icon library message, but this time, it didn't. After refreshing the cache, I again reset MPC, and again, the icon library message popped up. Is it just the hard drive gone all screwy, or should I be looking for some kind of pattern to when I get the icon library message after an MPC reset and when I don't?
    The second last time I reset MPC after an icon cache rebuild, I restarted the computer before I reset MPC. Then when I did reset MPC, the icon library message did not come up. However, a short while ago, I reset MPC again, got the icon library message, so rebuilt the icon cache and restarted the computer, assuming, based on the previous time, that a complete restart would stop the icon library message from appearing on an MPC reset, but this time, it didn't. After the computer had restarted, I reset MPC and AGAIN got the icon library message. There seems to be no pattern that I can figure out as to when this message will appear and when it won't, but the fact it doesn't always appear seems to imply there's something wrong with the computer that's causing it to appear. Now I know the hard drive is screwed, and I've bought a new one to replace it, but I need to know the cause of this problem so that it's not recreated when I install the new one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe try MPC-BE and see if it works better....
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's probably something peculiar to your PC and failing hard drive, but you could try downloading the portable version of MPC-HC rather than installing it. Just unzip the portable version somewhere and run it. You'll need to manually create any shortcuts you might want for opening it, but you can still associate the same file types and if resetting it doesn't cause a problem, uninstall the installed version.

A couple of wild guesses.....
    Check the option in MPC-HC's preferences "save settings to ini file" to see if that makes any difference. Resetting the player won't change that setting.
    Under Format's there's an option "use the format specific icons". Unchecking it will use the same icon for all associated file types rather than a different icon for each type. Mind you resetting the player will probably also reset that anyway (I'm not sure), so maybe it won't help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    It's probably something peculiar to your PC and failing hard drive, but you could try downloading the portable version of MPC-HC rather than installing it. Just unzip the portable version somewhere and run it. You'll need to manually create any shortcuts you might want for opening it, but you can still associate the same file types and if resetting it doesn't cause a problem, uninstall the installed version.

A couple of wild guesses.....
    Check the option in MPC-HC's preferences "save settings to ini file" to see if that makes any difference. Resetting the player won't change that setting.
    Under Format's there's an option "use the format specific icons". Unchecking it will use the same icon for all associated file types rather than a different icon for each type. Mind you resetting the player will probably also reset that anyway (I'm not sure), so maybe it won't help.
    Thanks. The problem isn't recreated at all with the portable version. I tried "store settings in .ini file", but that option is greyed out, and I don't know how to activate it. And yes, resetting the player does reset the "use the format specific icons" option.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Maybe try MPC-BE and see if it works better....
    MPC-BE works fine, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Thanks. The problem isn't recreated at all with the portable version. I tried "store settings in .ini file", but that option is greyed out, and I don't know how to activate it. And yes, resetting the player does reset the "use the format specific icons" option.
    The ini file option being greyed out is probably to do with where MPC-HC is installed. If it can't write files to it's own folder then it can't save the ini file. Part of the idea behind using an ini file is you could have multiple copies of MPC-HC, each using completely different settings if you wanted to.

The fact that the portable version doesn't have the icon problem makes me wonder if it's something to do with where the installed version is located. I don't know why, but maybe it's something to do with MPC-HC not being able to write/change it's own files and when you reset it, it thinks the mpciconlib.dll file has been updated. Even so, I guess it's technically a bug, unless it's supposed to work that way when you reset. How often do you find yourself resetting?
    Just some thoughts anyway....... I use XP so I still don't have to worry about those types of headaches.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The ini file option being greyed out is probably to do with where MPC-HC is installed. If it can't write files to it's own folder then it can't save the ini file. Part of the idea behind using an ini file is you could have multiple copies of MPC-HC, each using completely different settings if you wanted to.

The fact that the portable version doesn't have the icon problem makes me wonder if it's something to do with where the installed version is located. I don't know why, but maybe it's something to do with MPC-HC not being able to write/change it's own files and when you reset it, it thinks the mpciconlib.dll file has been updated. Even so, I guess it's technically a bug, unless it's supposed to work that way when you reset. How often do you find yourself resetting?
    Just some thoughts anyway....... I use XP so I still don't have to worry about those types of headaches.
    MPC-HC is installed in C:\Program Files\MPC-HC I don't normally reset a lot, but when I started getting this icon problem, I started resetting every time I opened the program, just to try to figure it out and see if there was a pattern to it. As I say, sometimes the icon message doesn't come up, but most of the time it does. And each time I've tried to recreate the circumstances in which it hasn't come up, it has. So it's really bugging me how inconsistent it is. Because if I can't figure out any pattern, I can't figure out how to do anything about it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well, I've just tested MPC on my brand new drive. Still got the icon message. Don't know what to do. Can't put my old drive back in. Don't think I'll ever be able to solve it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Maybe ask about it in the MPC-HC thread at doom9. Or post a bug report here. I suspect it's a bug. I've never experienced it using the portable version. Why not uninstall it and replace it with the portable version? They're exactly the same, only one doesn't need installing and you have to create your own shortcut to run it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Maybe ask about it in the MPC-HC thread at doom9. Or post a bug report here. I suspect it's a bug. I've never experienced it using the portable version. Why not uninstall it and replace it with the portable version? They're exactly the same, only one doesn't need installing and you have to create your own shortcut to run it.
    Thanks. I have the portable version. I was just testing the installed version.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have the same exact problem. media player classic was installed with k-lite codec pack like always. Running JAN 2016 release. We are just fresh installing this machine to windows 10. When every video plays, a popup which i have attached is displayed by windows. clicking yes or no has no effect, keeps popping up when the next video is played.

The user running MPC is an administrator and the windows install is brand new on brand new hardware core i7. It is not a machine problem. Just posting here incase anyone ever solved this. When i find a resolution i will post back.

[Attachment 35441 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  15. Using an older version (only slightly!) of media player classic now and i think the issue is solved. the popup did not occur again in what was previously a repeatable condition, happening every time i ran MPC. However since this is going to be a show machine, i will monitor for a day to make sure it does not appear again period.

Going from k-lite codec pack mpc version 1.7.10.56 and reverting to 1.7.10.0 has fixed the issue. I got the older version directly from the media player classic site.

I guess k-lite is just so on the bleeding edge that bugs like this come up. Anyone else having this problem should probably just revert to the an older MPC version and try again.
    If I dont post back later, then the issue is fixed.

[Attachment 35442 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote