VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Windows is a very-complicated beast, so it's not impossible (nor improbable) that the optical disc devices can be screwed by settings that apparently have nothing to do with the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drives
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see. I don't even remember creating a profile. I haven't been here for a while. My older computer uses Windows 2000, and it still runs, but the computer with the burner in it uses XP. I know my stuff is out of date, but I don't have money to invest in computer upgrades, so I have to make due with what I have. That's why I'm here. If I could afford to just buy new stuff, I wouldn't need help keeping this old raft afloat. So does anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand what you're saying, El Heggunte, but when you say it's possible that the problem originates from an apparently unrelated source, you imply that the opposite is also possible. I prefer the glass-half-full scenario. Perhaps this problem isn't caused by something obvious and predictable, but that's no reason to give up without trying to find out. My other question, regarding registry repair programs, still remains unanswered. Even if the problem is caused by something unexpected, is it possible that an overall repair of the registry might fix it? By the way, what does the date I became a member have to do with anything?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Look for a restore point. Most computers running XP create them automatically when installing updates to the operating system or even when installing software. Try to find one that is still functional, but dating back a couple of months, possibly more. The last updates for Windows XP rolled out in April I believe, though there might have been another for IE just after that.

Learn Linux? Not entirely facetious here, since you are roaming the net on an unsupported operating system and your back up is even older.

You could also try CCCleaner, but the registry cleaner section is less than predictable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked, and the oldest restore point is from ten days ago, so no help there. Sorry, but I don't understand what my old OS has to do with learning Linux. Regarding CCCleaner, is that the best program to use for this? If "the registry cleaner section is less than predictable," then maybe I should look for something that performs better. Considering the fact that the only definitive solution seems to be killing and resurrecting my OS, wouldn't it seem logical to try repairing the registry first? I mean, what have I got to lose?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    CCCleaner's rep is better than the vast majority of programs of that kind. I'm just not convinced of the need for that type of program most of the time. I would recommend backing up all data on that computer first.

XP is just a target these days. If you are careful in your browsing habits and use something other than IE for the internet, you might be able to skate by for quite a while, but there are no more security updates for it. You'll eventually have to move on, and while most of us have gone to Win 7 or Win 8, Linux is a viable side step for many. Depends on what programs you rely on and what alternatives there are in the Linux environment. You might want to take a live Linux CD for a test spin in your backup computer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice, but I don't see myself making any changes in the foreseeable future. No investment capital. I like the idea of not using Windows anymore, but I'm not in a position to experiment, so like I said, I have to make due with what I have. As far as browsing with XP is concerned, I haven't had any problems. I rarely use the internet, except for e-mails. I periodically go to sites like Netflix and Amazon, and once in a blue moon I'll come here, but that's it. I basically address the issue of security by severely limiting my internet access, and that's worked well for me, because there isn't very much on the internet that I care about. As for cleaning the registry, is there any reason not to try? If it doesn't work, or if something goes wrong, I can still go to plan B and re-install the OS, right? Or is there some other risk that I'm not aware of?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    The worst that can happen is that you screw up something else, perhaps something that you won't notice right away, until another program or part of your hardware doesn't work quite correctly anymore. I seriously doubt CCCleaner will bork the entire installation, but no guarantees. Which is why you should extract any important files now, and back them up to another computer or hard drive.

It is possible to do a repair installation of XP, which, theoretically, should not touch the files you have on the hard drive now. Most people prefer to do a clean re-install, but if you'd like to try it, do a Google search on "repair installation in XP".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ccleaner isn't that bad, the only time I've heard of it messing things is when people use a certain add-on to dig deeper into the registry. Piriform does a lot of testing to keep improving it without taking chances. Just uncheck the MUI and start menu box and when you run it you will be asked to backup the changes so you can go back if it fails. You should keep re-scanning until it finds no errors. I don't think it will be able to fix the filter issue though, but you will be surprised by the number of errors it will find. Many of the other so-called registry cleaners won't do anything more and some might even bork it and that's if it's not just a trojan installer.

A repair install is a good solution (a fresh install is always best), the advantage is you won't have to re-install your programs and drivers, but you will have to re-install updates and maybe some service packs. If you do a clean install, use the transfer tool in start>accessories>system tools to save your data and settings (use the advanced option if you want to trim the size of the backup file).

You should probably try the Microsoft Fix-it tool first; can you get to this page without getting the stupid XP end of life message? If you can't, try downloading the portable version installer (you might have to do it from a Vista or newer PC).
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mephisto@got.net View Post
    By the way, what does the date I became a member have to do with anything?
    I and many other forum members would expect you already knew how this board works.
    But now that you have stated you visit VideoHelp "once in a blue moon", ......

Nowadays, it's generally considered a bad idea to remain so uninformed...
    As John J. Sheridan said, "a lot can happen in a minute".
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 12th Aug 2014 at 01:40. Reason: correct myself : –/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    You should probably try the Microsoft Fix-it tool first; can you get to this page without getting the stupid XP end of life message? If you can't, try downloading the portable version installer (you might have to do it from a Vista or newer PC).

Yep, same Fix it troubleshooter I linked to in my first post (Resolution 2). But I don't suppose the OP ever tried it.

At this point I think I'd chuck it and back up my files. Then do a chkdsk and clean install. Doesn't seem like the OP is inclined to do that.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    El Huggente: "Nowadays, it's generally considered a bad idea to remain so uninformed..." When has that ever been a good idea? If you want to quote B5 characters, then how about "I'm busy!" - Michael Garibaldi. I wish I had the time to learn everything about everything, but I have to focus on those things that matter most to me. Sound familiar? I'm sure there are many things that I understand which you don't, so don't patronize me. If you know a lot about computers, then good for you, and if you're willing to help people by sharing your knowledge, then even better, but I'd like to point out that you have contributed nothing to this thread except wise cracks and negativity, which I could've easily done without.
    Fritzi93: What does "OP" mean? Never mind. I don't care. Regarding your comment about your first post, you did not suggest using the troubleshooter to fix the registry. You said it could be used to delete the UpperFilter and LowerFilter values. So, no, I didn't use your link, because I deleted those values manually, as suggested by Kerry56. It's therefore incorrect to imply that I ignored your suggestion. The information you provided just became irrelevant in that context. I stated several times that I would prefer to find an alternative to re-installing the OS, so it does indeed seem like the OP is not inclined to do that. Very observant. What's your point?
    Both you guys need to take your egos down a few pegs, because you come off sounding arrogant and immature. Possessing some useful knowledge does not make you better than other people, and if you feel the need to be a smart ass know-it-all you probably shouldn't be doing this. If I'm overreacting, then I apologize, but this is how you made me feel.
    Well, it seems I've gotten all the good advice I'm going to get, so thanks to those of you who tried to help. Over and out.
    Quote Quote  
  13. OP: Original poster. Saves keystrokes, especially with long usernames.

Relax, people are trying to help, and they're not getting paid to do so. Notice how members sometimes clash when there's a difference of opinion on how to approach a problem. Don't take it personally.

You've established that the drive still works when connected to another computer. So it seems the problem lies with your computer, probably the OS. No doubt many experienced members could fix it if they could get their hands on your computer and troubleshoot it. But they can't, and it's quite possible they'd end up suggesting a clean install anyway. And, no offense, but it's looking like that would be your best option.

Do you have the install disc, or restore discs? A repair install has been suggested. But even then you'd be well advised to first back up anything important. A clean install would be better.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. When you put the drive into the other PC and it worked, did you use the same cable? If you have not changed it, do so. I strongly disagree with the earlier statement that a bad cable simply won't work at all. Very easy for a single pin to be damaged. There is one single wire, for example, which tells the drive if a different disk has been inserted. Try a different cable, 80-wire, very simple, very cheap, can salvage them for free.

Stop using Nero. Uninstall it. Run CCleaner, reboot, run cleaner again. Install ImgBurn. It burns disks, nothing else.

Download a linux live CD, burn it using the older PC. Swap drive to new PC, attempt to boot with it. This will isolate software and hardware as possible causes. No, this has not yet been done. If it takes you more than 5 minutes to figure out how to start this process, give up and get someone to help. It's not at all difficult. Google "Linux Mint", download the ISO, burn, put put drive in other PC, set boot order to CD first. This test will either completely eliminate or make mandatory the Windows re-install.

Are there two drives on this IDE cable and how are the master/slave jumpers set? If two drives on one cable, remove second drive, attempt boot with live CD and only optical drive on cable, set to master. Avoid CS or cable select settings.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Err, this is not a floppy cable, there is no dedicated Disc Change pin on the cable, the ATA port transfers data in parallel so it can actually send a word to notify a tray opening/closing. I admit that there are some instances where a bad cable will still seem to work; say you lose a ground wire, the crosstalk with adjacent wires will cause corruption of the signals, but I doubt that it will cause a drive to stop reading one type of media only. You are right to mention the 80 wire cable though, the drive is UDMA66.
    Quote Quote  
  16. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mephisto@got.net View Post
    but I'd like to point out that you have contributed nothing to this thread except wise cracks and negativity, which I could've easily done without.
    Well, I am replying only now, because the OP already was on my Ignore List

Besides being a slow-learner, he is also a shameless LIAR

Sorry, kiddo, but very-often there are NO easy solutions
    Quote Quote  
  17. Damn, Nick, first mistake I made all week.

I was indeed referring to the floppy cable change line, but I thought IDE cables also had some similar dedicated command pins separate from those for data?
    Pretty sure I have had unusual, funky operation from an optical with a flattened pin on the connector. The ground and crosstalk you refer to could have been the answer. Very oddly specific failure here but I have learned to never say "no, that COULDN'T be it".

Low-odds, oddball possibility but then this is a low-odds, oddball situation. Like the master/slave thing, I have observed dramatically lowered performance from supposedly compatible, paired hd's, for the optical not to recognize only burned disks would be really odd. BUT, changing the cable is cheap, simple, easy, less than a minute, and the OP has a Known Good extra cable on hand.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hey, shit happens. Those IDC connectors aren't the most reliable, the way they're built they don't stand up well to repeated insertion, but that makes them really cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Heya, I had the same exact problem with my DVD Burner drive it stumped me forever. Until one day I found the solution to my situation hopefully it's the same for you. I have a program installed on my system called "VMware" it's a program for running virtual machines. Virtual Machines are like a computer running on your computer and they sometimes require to take ownership of your hardware on your base system. If you have a program like VMware for running virtual machines like I did all you have to do is essentially disable the optical drive or the dvd drive in that program to give ownership of the drive back to your base system instead of the virtual machine. I disabled the dvd drive through VMware for the virtual machine I had on it and the problem was resolved my dvd drive started reading all my burned media again. I hope this helps. Good luck, Ryan
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!