VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have noted that AVS uses 24fps when making a bluray. Nero uses 25fps. Which is best? I thought PAL always had 25fps.
    As most cameras use 25fps one would suspect this is best as there then is no need to change ”fps” in the process of making the bluray.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 16th Feb 2014 at 13:06. Reason: Fixed thread title
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Avs?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'll second that: what do you mean by AVS?

BluRay has more than one format. Check the specs: https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:03.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by uno View Post
    As most cameras use 25fps...
    That's simply not true.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by uno View Post
    As most cameras use 25fps...
    That's simply not true.
    I had that thought too, but I think he means his experience in PAL land is such and "most" really refers to his personal experience where he lives.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I had that thought too, but I think he means his experience in PAL land is such and "most" really refers to his personal experience where he lives.
    Maybe, but if he's thinking the cameras that make the movies he sees in a movie theater mostly shoot at 25fps, then no. If he's thinking of the stuff he sees on television and bought on PAL DVD, then yes. That usually has nothing to do with the camera that originally shot the movie but has more to do with PAL requirements. If he's asking about movies on Blu-Ray then he'd want whatever the original framerate was, and that's usually 24fps.

And I doubt Nero requires 25fps for Blu-Ray creation. If this is home movies or home video for Blu-Ray then, again, he'd want the original framerate, which might be 25fps where he lives.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Avs is a videoeditor at avs4you.com.
    I am in PAL-land and this is home video. I have no intention to make a professional video.
    Do you not agree it must be best to keep the original framrate?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not enough information to help you. "Home video" means ....what? Something you recorded on a VCR? Something you filmed with a consumer camera? Is it standard definition source or High Definition source? We need information about the original, unprocessed video. You can use the free MediaInfo utility to read adta about the source video and copy and paste that data here. Installing MediaInfo is easy and fast, but you should disable any "extra software" offers that you see when the installer begins.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:03.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by uno View Post
    Avs is a videoeditor at avs4you.com.
    Do you not agree it must be best to keep the original framrate?
    Ordinarily, yes, but the Blu-Ray spec does not support 25 frames per second for progressive video. If you are starting with interlaced video at 25 fps, leave it as interlaced.

Listed below are the supported Blu-Ray video resolutions and frame rates from Video Help's "What is Blu-Ray":

High Definition Video (frame size x frame rate x interlaced or progressive) (frame aspect ratio)
    1920x1080x29.97i, 25i (16:9)
    1920x1080x24p, 23.976p (16:9)
    1440x1080x59.94i, 50i (16:9) AVC / VC-1 only
    1440x1080x24p, 23.976p (16:9) AVC / VC-1 only
    1280x720x59.94p, 50p (16:9)
    1280x720x24p, 23.976p (16:9)

Standard Definition Video
    720x480x59.94i (4:3/16:9)
    720x576x50i (4:3/16:9)

Note that 25i and 50i mean the same thing. 25 interlaced frames per second or 50 interlaced fields per second.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Ordinarily, yes, but the Blu-Ray spec does not support 25 frames per second for progressive video.
    No big deal. If the content is progressive you encode it as interlaced, just as movies on PAL DVD have been done since the beginning of the DVD era. If it really is home video, I suspect it's already been capped interlaced anyway. As sanlyn suggested, MediaInfo will be useful to help figure out what he's got.
    Quote Quote