VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have just ripped a DVD using MakeMKV. Then I converted it using Handbrake to an mp4 file. But instead of the subtitles showing only when I hit a key, they are showing all the time. I can't figure out how to make them come on at keypress and go off with keypress. Can anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds to me like you had handbrake "hardcode" the subs into the video. leave the original makemkv file alone and you will probably have subs in a separate "selectable" format.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I need it into mp4 though, what setting do I tweak to get the subtitles to stay embedded, but only show when wanted?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can't be done. hardcoded subs are rendered into the video permanently. mkv (it's still an mp4 video) with subs are separate files in an mkv container that can be turned on and off.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. can't be done. hardcoded subs are rendered into the video permanently. mkv (it's still an mp4 video) with subs are separate files in an mkv container that can be turned on and off.
    Of course it can be done. I haven't used Handbrake in a long while but it certainly allows to compress a DVD source with "soft coded" subtitles. It definitely works with the MKV container (which is not the same as MP4), but I've seen MP4 files with embedded SRT subtitles so even if it's not standard it must be possible anyway. I've never seen a MP4 with embedded sub/idx subtitles, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer using Vidcoder over Handbrake, uses the Handbrake engine but is easier to set up for a quick conversion to mp4 with a selection to hard code ie burn into the image or not.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake does offer the option - you can deselect "burn in" in the subtitles tab.
    You can also choose "forced only" and/or "default" as necessary
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Always helps to go the source: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/advanced/subtitles.html

If Iʻm reading it right, DVD and Blu-Ray subs can only be hardcoded.

"Supported Subtitle Formats
    There are different types of subtitles that exist:

Bitmaps (Pictures), e.g. DVD VOBSUBs, Bluray PGS
    Text with markup, e.g. Closed Captions and SRT files.
    Styled SSA, e.g. most anime subtitles in MKV files
    HandBrake can read subtitles from the following sources:

From DVD’s – Either embedded VOBSUB or CC tracks.
    From Bluray - PGS Subtitles.
    User supplied SRT files.
    Embedded SSA/SRT/CC within files (such as mkv or mp4)
    Supported Output Formats
    HandBrake has two methods of subtitle OUTPUT:

Hard Burn: This means the subtitles are written on top of the image permanently. They cannot be turned on or off like on the DVD.
    Soft Subtitles: This means the subtitles will appear as separate selectable tracks in your output file. With the correct playback software, you’ll be able to enable / disable these subtitles as required.
    Soft subtitles are currently unsupported in the WebM container.

The following subtitle types as supported as follows:

Bluray PGS Subtitles

With MP4, you can burn ONLY 1 subtitle track into the video.
    You can not pass-through PGS into MP4 as this file format does not support it.
    With MKV, you can pass-through multiple PGS tracks. These are not burned into the video unless you choose to do so however you can only burn 1 subtitle track into the file. The rest must be passed through.
    DVD Bitmap Subtitles (VOBSUB)

With MP4, you can burn ONLY 1 subtitle track into the video.
    With MKV, you can pass-through multiple VOBSUB tracks. These are not burned into the video unless you choose to do so however you can only burn 1 subtitle track into the file. The rest must be passed through."
    Quote Quote  
  9. If your only aim is to have a MP4 file you could use Xmedia Recode. Contrary to HandBrake it allows you to copy the video without re-encoding (but it can do that as well) and you can copy the vobsub subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried MP4Box to mux an .mkv and .sub/.idx, but only the .idx file was allowed, not the .sub file.

sneaker give a possible solution in this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392276-Blu-ray-to-mp4-with-subtitles

Otherwise, check if your player supports external .sub/.idx subs or convert them to a text based format.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well so far I have not been able to even get a quality output using any of the leading encoders, but I'd not heard of vidcoder or xmedia so I am trying them. I know quality can be had as I see perfect copies on the internet of old films. Thanks for the help so far.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Vidcoder and Xmedia have pretty poor quality conversion from MKV files to MP4 or MPG.
    I think I'm going to stick to MKV files for the time being, til I work out what software it is that people use for making quality copies. Thanks for your time everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  13. My smart FFMpeg gui can mux SRT subtitle to mp4 video, without reencoding
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/395425-New-small-GUI-for-FFmpeg
    Quote Quote