VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes you just can't sleep. Looking way, way, down at the bottom of my avs script, far, far below the teensty=weentsy code window in avspmod, sitting near the left-hand margin in the middle of 15 lines of white space that remained after 14 lines of old code were replaced with line feeds, was a number "5". All by lonesome itself. Running that code the old way, I would've seen an error message on Line 32, column 4. Not so in AvspMod.

I guess "5" is AvspMod code for forget it, never mind, go away ? ? ? Wonder what a lone semicolon would do?

It works now. But I'll be forever double-checking that code panel. Pain in the neck. Anyone know if the preview panel hooks into a monitor's .icm calibration profile? Doesn't look as if it does. Looks the way my monitor did before calibration (i.e., it looks like PowerDVD). So I'll be checking image caps in Photoshop, After Effects, etc., the way I always did. Bummer. Maybe I could write a mod in Python that does it. It would only take a few weeks (!). Easier to configure AviSynth native functions with it, though.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 07:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I tried out ColorLike() in RGB mode instead of YV12. The results were even better (in terms of matching the youtube video):
    Nice. Y'know, I think that mist effect has some blue in parts of the image (on purpose, along with the pink).
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 07:53.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    On startup it tells me I have two plugin dll's with "invalid" characters (MaskTools, for one). Wants me to rename them. I didn't know a dash was an invalid character in Windows. Guess it also wants me to rewrite a few hundred scripts that have used those dll's since 2005. Mm...I don't think so.
    This is really just a warning - for the explanation, see
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1505277#post1505277
    (and posts 475-480 of that thread for the full conversation).
    Just tick the box "Don't show me this again" and you can forget about it.

Instead of bitching about AvsPMod, why not report problems/suggestions to the support thread:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=153248
    The authors are usually quite responsive.

I must confess I am still using the original AvsP, which works fine for my purposes (and I couldn't live without it). It's good that development has continued with AvsPMod, but there's a danger of adding too many bells and whistles which just introduces instability and bugs.
    Last edited by Gavino; 3rd Oct 2011 at 06:31. Reason: typos
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
    Instead of bitching about AvsPMod, why not report problems/suggestions to the support thread:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=153248
    The authors are usually quite responsive.
    Now that I've vented, no problems. Thanks for the tip on the dll message. Last nite I clicked the "go away" box. It's gone . Like they say down South after the first ride in a new tractor, it runs good.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Once done filtering these clips, if I wanted to author them to DVD (vob) and retain the lossless audio what program does it best? I've got Tmpgenc but it doesn't author DVD's and I know a few other of you noted that the newer products by Tmpgenc just can't compete with the older(which is what I'm using).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi,
    Once you have a nicely encoded mpg you can import it into DVDStyler http://www.dvdstyler.org/ It's a simple, free program. I'm not saying it's the best, but I've been able to make simple DVDs with it. Not a lot of choice in terms of templates either, but I didn't care. Otherwise I have a stack of programs which came with various pieces of equipment that I should check out someday
    Quote Quote  
  7. I encode with HcEnc HcGUI then use an old version of Ulead DVD Moviefactory (4.0) to author VIDEO_TS folders. I want simple menus (a simple file list is fine with me, sometimes no menu at all), and I learned to use it a long time ago, so that program is sufficient for me. Finally, I burn the DVDs with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @sanlyn
    Hex is common as web developers often use it to specify RGB colors. I have mine set to auto, so I can see the yuv or rgb values. (%CLR). You can resize the code window to make it bigger - this is one of the first things I do. If the video is not calibrated, you can set the option to preview with an external player. Regarding the 5; this is a valid command in Avisynth itself. It returns an int, not a video, which is why you will see "Not a clip". It's not a bug in avsP. The filename warning has been covered. I think that covers all of your problems with AvsP.

I use HCenc too; use the DVD profile.
    Quote Quote  
  9. So really the encode to MPEG2 is the import part and there is no re-encoding when authoring Video_TS folders...so any DVD authoring program will serve the same function?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I used ColourLike with a frame from my DVD for the first part of the Half Breed clip (closeup) but then for the second part it doesn't look so good so I guess I'll have to do ColourLike for that second part as well with a matching grab from the zoomed out shot:

[Attachment 8989 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 8990 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, video_ts/vob is basically mpeg with some added information; the video/audio itself is exactly the same. Any program that can import mpeg unmodified will work. The mpeg2 however has to meet certain requirements; namely one of the standard sizes (720x480 or 720x576 are common), a certain max bitrate and so on. So I would have to say that you make an mpeg2 for the purposes of a DVD.

Anyhow, those two programs above *can* do their own conversion from avi; it's just that HCEnc happens to be a good quality mpeg2 converter, for free ones (though I hear cce is a better commercial one).
    Quote Quote  
  12. My next question is...in order to encode to MPEG2 and retain my lossless audio it creates an elementary stream (m2v/wav). How would one handle that in authoring to DVD...I assume the program would ask for an audio source.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't know why my attachment screenshots aren't showing up...*scratches head*
    Quote Quote  
  14. mpg sample of the first (close up) half breed portion:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2qtko135j3yqvdg
    Quote Quote  
  15. @Cherbette
    Unfortunately, DVDstyler doesn't directly support adding uncompressed audio to the project. I wanted to try adding an already made mpg with uncompressed audio but I wasn't able to make such a file. It is part of the DVD spec however to have uncompressed audio. Someone will have to test Ulead for you.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
    @sanlyn
    Hex is common as web developers often use it to specify RGB colors.
    Doesn't matter. I didn't know that the majority of users were designing web-safe pages with it. Whatever. Easily fixed.

You can resize the code window to make it bigger - this is one of the first things I do.
    Doesn't matter. You can resize vertically more than 1080 pixels?

If the video is not calibrated, you can set the option to preview with an external player.
    Perhaps you could suggest a Windows media app that recognizes monitor profiles. MC Media Center won't do; it requires a version of DirectX that cripples ATI's capture software.

[QUOTE=jmac698;2111020]Regarding the 5; this is a valid command in Avisynth itself. It returns an int, not a video, which is why you will see "Not a clip". /QUOTE]
    There was no message. I figured I probably had garbage code below the split pane, and yep, there it was.

The filename warning has been covered. I think that covers all of your problems with AvsP.
    I hadn't even thought about it again until just now. But thank you. I've run about 10 scripts today. No hassles (except for my own stupid typos!).

I use HCenc too; use the DVD profile.
    HCenc has no viewer that recognizes monitor profiles. TMPGenc's preview window does. I used a colorimeter to check it and was pleasantly surprised. I also depend much on TMPGenc's color controls and histograms.

Keep on truckin', jmac698. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    HCenc has no viewer that recognizes monitor profiles.
    Why would you need monitor profiles in HcEnc? It's an encoder. By the time your video gets there you should already know what shape it's in.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
    @Cherbette
    Unfortunately, DVDstyler doesn't directly support adding uncompressed audio to the project. I wanted to try adding an already made mpg with uncompressed audio but I wasn't able to make such a file. It is part of the DVD spec however to have uncompressed audio. Someone will have to test Ulead for you.
    I think Womble's MPEG VIDEO WIZARD that I have comes with DVD authoring I'll have to see if it supports a PCM stream.

Edit: it doesn't appear that MPEG VIDEO WIZARDS DVD authoring offers separate audio/video sources but I am going to try out Tmpgenc DVD Author
    Last edited by Cherbette; 3rd Oct 2011 at 22:45.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    HCenc has no viewer that recognizes monitor profiles.
    Why would you need monitor profiles in HcEnc? It's an encoder. By the time your video gets there you should already know what shape it's in.
    I do a lot of color work in TMPGenc. Other reasons: I already have it, already know it inside/out, own 3 copies on 3 PC's, don't need a degree from M.I.T. to configure and use it, and it delivers excellent results.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 07:54.
    Quote Quote  
  20. @Cherbette,
    I had an idea to address your problem which might work in all DVD authoring programs; I think we need some way of making a combined video/audio mpg with uncompressed audio, and then try to feed that into the authoring program. Unfortunately, that's the step where I ran into issues. Perhaps we should start, (yet) another thread in the authoring forum? We might get better responses there.

@sanlyn
    I'm not sure about one of your points, can I resize to more than 1080? I meant, that I will re-proportion the split point between the code window and the video; perhaps you were trying to resize the entire window vertically? Just mouse over the split point until the resizing handles appear. And yes this means I only have enough room on my monitor for part of the HD video, but just for testing settings quickly I will focus on a part of the picture anyway. Here's another idea, set your video card to portrait mode and balance your poor monitor against your desk You'll get most of a 4:3 window on your HD video that way. Finally under Video->Zoom you can resize the video pane. You can also use two monitors; I have a very old VGA that's still usable for code while I use the other for HD video preview.

Whew. Next, about the calibrated playback - yes definitely you can do this! You have to install MadVR, configure it with a profile, and then *all* windows/directshow video players will play with calibrated color. I know, there should be some way to pick up the settings from windows automatically, but I don't know a solution for that. Anyhow, if you don't know about MadVR it's a custom "renderer" with 100% focus on quality (high precision internal calculations, carefully coded "correct" algorithms).
    http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/?p=364
    Quote Quote  
  21. I don't think it's possible to make an MPG with uncompressed audio combined...at least that's what I was told
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Cherbette View Post
    I don't think it's possible to make an MPG with uncompressed audio combined...at least that's what I was told
    Yes it is. MPEG-PS supports L/PCM audio , and so does authored DVD-video.

You don't want to multiplex it before authoring. Most authoring tools will demultiplex it anyways upon import

I know this is an audio oriented DVD, but I question the use of uncompressed audio here (1536kb/s for uncompressed stereo). That takes away from the video bitrate you can allocate. Given your source, I bet most people won't be able to tell the difference with AC3 at 448kb/s
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just mouse over the split point until the resizing handles appear...
    I know a little about split screens. I spent 14 years designing and coding Windows GUi's, from user controls to background processing to server and database access, user input designs for English-to-SQL translators, toolbars, drag&drop controls, print previews, and all that stuff, and wrote code to make panel splitters work (and float, and dock, and what have you), for admin and staff that didn't know a mouse from a chicken leg.

Next, about the calibrated playback - yes definitely you can do this! You have to install MadVR, configure it with a profile, and then *all* windows/directshow video players will play with calibrated color...
    No they won't. icm and icc profiles don't work that way. Here's one popular way it's done for Pc's:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eye_one_display2.htm
    And here's how a lot of people do it with their TV/projector and my own TV's:
    http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
    If you really have plenty of time, you can also code your own icc and gamut profiles. But any way you do it, you can't do it by eyeball. You need hardware. MadVR can't tell a media player or monitor to use monitor profiles.

I know, there should be some way to pick up the settings from windows automatically...
    There isn't. Windows doesn't even use profiles. Office doesn't, Microsoft's cheapo picture apps don't, PowerPoint doesn't (that's a bit weird for a visual presentation app, don't you think?), Your desktop doesn't, your screensavers don't, Media Center and MovieMaker don't, and Internet Explorer doesn't (but Firefox does). An application has to be programmed to do it. It's never auto, always optional. If you want to work and view different gamuts and colorspaces properly, you need studio monitors designed for it. They cost plenty.
    Quote Quote  
  24. @poisondeathray

We have to use multiplexed input, the problem is we have no authoring program which takes raw m2v and wav and creates a DVD without re-encoding.

@cherbette
    Ok, I tried every free tool listed under authoring, and there's ones to try:
    rejig - click author, load the *wav and *m2v. If the bitrates add up too high, it'll just crash though.
    Bombono - Project, Mux - inputs m2v and lpcm audio
    ifoedit - has an author tool, but when I tried, it gave framedrop errors, probably because my total bitrate was too high
    muxman free - lets you load m2v and wav - in my case it gave the proper error message of excessive bitrate

I didn't have sample files to fully test this, but one of the above should work - either creating a simple DVD with no menu, or creating an mpg to try loading into a better authoring tool.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cherbette View Post
    My next question is...in order to encode to MPEG2 and retain my lossless audio it creates an elementary stream (m2v/wav). How would one handle that in authoring to DVD...I assume the program would ask for an audio source.
    A few encoders convert .wav to Dolby Digital, many editors do, and some authoring programs do. There's also free audio encoders. TMPGenc MPEG Editor does it. I think their DVD Author does, too.

If you keep your video and audio files together in the same folder, (with the same name, but obviously with .m2v and .wav filename extensions), TMPGenc's editor and author load it automatically when it loads your clip. Or you can tell it where to look.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Nevermind.
    Last edited by manono; 4th Oct 2011 at 00:53.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
    @poisondeathray

We have to use multiplexed input, the problem is we have no authoring program which takes raw m2v and wav and creates a DVD without re-encoding.

@cherbette
    Ok, I tried every free tool listed under authoring, and there's ones to try:
    rejig - click author, load the *wav and *m2v. If the bitrates add up too high, it'll just crash though.
    Bombono - Project, Mux - inputs m2v and lpcm audio
    ifoedit - has an author tool, but when I tried, it gave framedrop errors, probably because my total bitrate was too high
    muxman free - lets you load m2v and wav - in my case it gave the proper error message of excessive bitrate

I didn't have sample files to fully test this, but one of the above should work - either creating a simple DVD with no menu, or creating an mpg to try loading into a better authoring tool.

Many non free programs support PCM authoring for sure e.g.

DVD Lab Pro
    Sony DVD Architect
    Adobe Encore

Maybe try multiavchd - it can do SD DVD as well , also try avstodvd

But if your combined bitrate is too high as manono says, it won't work
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cherbette View Post
    mpg sample of the first (close up) half breed portion:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2qtko135j3yqvdg
    See? And they said it couldn't be done. They were wrong, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  29. @sanlyn,
    Yes, windows does support calibration, however the application has to support managed color. Firefox and Windows Photo Gallery do it. As far as media players, they just need to be able to be set to use the MadVR render, which does all the hard work transparently.
    You can use these players: MPC-HC, Zoom Player, J.River Media Center 16, PotPlayer and KMPlayer
    As far as setting up MadVR, as far as I can tell you need a ti3 and an icc file. And yes it works with the output of a professional calibrator. So in the end, yes you can have AvsPmod bring up a calibrated player automatically. MadVR bypasses everything in the videocard.
    Quote Quote  
  30. @poisondeathray, cherbette

Yep, avs2dvd supports pcm audio. Go to preferences, audio, choose wav. And it inputs your script directly, so you need to add audio to your script. It does not support adding a separate wav file.
    Quote Quote