VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you going to buy Windows Vista?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So its finally here on Tuesday. Are you going to buy it now? Are you going to wait? Will you simply stand on the sidelines until the vast majority of programs/games require vista?

I'll wait until I buy a new computer before I buy vista (I will have it installed).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Not on this PC. Maybe on the next one. I'd still be using Win2K if the driver support hadn't dried up :P
    Quote Quote  
  3. Got it, love it, wouldn't change it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I already have Vista Ultimate (RTM).

But I will keep on using XP, too.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No too all of the above ... I'll lease the next system with it installed .. amd system , not intel .

Too busy fixing all the other xp ms crap and supporting older os's ...

This way , if it screws up , I rescue file's I want , and the clown's can fix the heap of junk under the service agreement .
    Quote Quote  
  6. buy.no .only if it comes with a new pc /Laptop.I think XP is good for another 3 to 5 years
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I voted for:
    I am not upgrading until the majority of software requires it

...but if I know myself, I can't keep my flair for new toys at bay, and allofasudden I'm installing away... Depends somewhat on what hardware I need to upgrade (more ram+new gfx card I suspect) and the driver support for what add on's I got.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. Going to wait & get a new Dell computer that has it already.

Staples always has a lot of FAR or cheap stuff on the day you can buy it, as long as you buy the stuff & Vista.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not for a while and I know the bugs are ironed out of it. I know I'll probably get the Ultimate edition, which costs a fortune. I wonder if they'll allow a cheap upgrade from XP Pro?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Upgrade my hardware to support their DRM and reduction in functionality? Nah.

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=1694
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By the time the major bugs are ironed out of Vista, Vista 2010 will be out with a whole new set of bugs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For some reason, I think Vista will tank.

Either way, I'm not upgrading (or rather downgrading) to lesser functionality (a DRM-infested system).

Truthfully, the worst--and the only bad--experience I have had with XP was when Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage notifications popped up on my desktop. Yes, I was one of the users with a legitimate copy of Windows XP who had got hit with the annoying alerts. Thankfully, System Restore solved that problem.

Thus, I find XP to be the best OS currently out (compatibility with software/hardware, ease of use, reliability, etc.), and I see no legitimate reason to downgrade. Moreover, I will not be downgrading to HD DVD and Blu-Ray either. I loathe all DRM-supporting platforms equally.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With XP my plan was to wait until SP1 for my top tier machines. I ended up getting a cheap machine for utility purposes that had XP pre-installed.

I used that to see what all the hub bub was all about. After SP1 I upgraded the important machines.

If I get an early Vista, it will probably be on my next laptop. I'll upgrade the big machines only when I see a need.

I'm in user mode. If I was in developer mode I would have been struggling with the first beta.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having been using it for a while, I'd generally say "absolutely" I'll be using it. Been using Enterprise at work, Ultimate RTM at home and have ordered Ultimate and plan to get the 2 Home Premium copies.

On solid hardware, Vista is robust, powerful, fast, secure, pretty.... basically everything I'd want an OS to be. It's a similar leap beyond XP that I feel Win2000 was over Win95/98.

Biggest problem I've had (like almost everyone has had) is driver support. I've actually been able to get old hardware (like P3/866+i815+SB Live+Radeon 7000+512MB) running it more than well enough to do web surfing, etc., but it took a few hours of tweaking to find and get the drivers to work for the various devices. New hardware (modern DX9 video card, top-notch SB sound card, etc.) is supported well enough but anything more than a year old... support is iffy. Fortunately the 32-bit edition generally works with 32-bit XP drivers so I've been able to get even a five year old box working fine. Proof: I'm writing this post from an Ultimate RTM on the aforementioned P3/512MB and yes, sound, video, etc. all work.

I'll probably be keeping with XP for one PC with my capture and other more esoteric devices until drivers and DRM-related issues are sorted out. For the moment, the launch of Vista will definitely be beset by more driver issues than was the launch of Windows 2000 (IMO).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by swiego
    For the moment, the launch of Vista will definitely be beset by more driver issues than was the launch of Windows 2000 (IMO).
    It absolutely will be since VISTA is intended for a home role out as well as a corporate roll out. 2000 was mainly focused at the business world as it was still an NT focus. XP was the first serious home upgrade since 98. VISTA will be much more widespread than 2000 was for end users at home - at least microsft hopes so
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using a trial version and I really like it. I will definately purchase it, but I may wait a month or two and let them iorn out some of the reported problems. Drivers are still an issue and you do need mostly updated programs, so it's a big change. Looks really nice on a big LCD monitor.

I see the Home Premium listed for $115US, so the price is lower than I had originally seen. Ulimate is $193. You can buy a lower version and purchase an upgrade later as all versions are on the disc, from what I have read.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For homes, the family pack thing (Buy Ultimate, get two copies of Home Premium for $50 each) is a rather attractive offer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it's as jacked-up as IE7 then I'll pass.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm happy with XP and my computers just the way they are. I'll consider switching when the need arises.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Circuit City should have a dual core laptop with Vista under $600.00 tues.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll wait till all the bugs are out.....long time....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dwill123
    If it's as jacked-up as IE7 then I'll pass.
    It is.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just built a new system with XP Pro, Im good for about 2 years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    absolutely not...but I may buy the OS after Vista...
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll BUY when its FREEEEE in 20XX
    Otherwise Stick with the I know with BUGS :P
    Quote Quote  
  26. I haven't found a good enough reason to switch to XP yet, so definitely not.

Here's a nice comparison chart in case anyone hasn't seen it yet...

Quote Quote  
  27. Nice list, you can get home premium upgrade
    for $70 from campustech.com, might have to be a student, however. Usually $220.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Yooooda......

Where's the NEVER option?

I won't buy Vista and I didn't buy XP.

Windows 2000 is as far as I'm going.

One reason is the 'activation' thing. I don't know much about that,
    because I don't have to!!! :P

My PCs run great and are stable....

....except that little BSOD problem yesterday!
    Minor issue. Nothing to be concerned about!!!

A man walked into his son's room and said..."Son, that will cause blindness."
    The boy said, "Dad, I'm over here."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="mr dweezel"]Where's the NEVER option?
    [l/quote]

Closest I can do for you is " I don't plan on upgrading unless my computer dies"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

A man walked into his son's room and said..."Son, that will cause blindness."
    The boy said, "Dad, I'm over here."
    Quote Quote