VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is probably very simple to all you old hands but if you could help me out I would really appreciate it. When I download a video, "un-rar" it and use ConvertXtoDVD to burn a dvd it will only work on my portable player, the one in my car and my old X-Box but not in my regular DVD players. Is it because of progressive scan, the program I am using to burn or maybe DVD+ / DVD- issues? I am currently using DVD-R's and they will not work on either of my Sony players or my Samsung. The Sony's are newer and have progressive scan. The Samsung is older and also has a VHS player in it and I am not sure if it has Progressive Scan or not. So in a nutshell copied DVD's I burn work fine anywhere but downloaded and burned DVD's only work on some players. I would be willing to buy another one if I was sure they would all work - as for now I will keep watching on the X-Box.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jim in WV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm assuming you've already tried the forum's 'search' function and the dozens of other threads about hit or miss playing being caused by low quality media, too fast burning speed, outdated firmware in your burner, etc. simply don't apply in your case. I'm also assuming you've read the rules and your downloaded movies aren't copyrighted material.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have ConvertXtoDVD output to a VIDEO_TS folder. Then burn with ImgBurn. That is the best DVD Video burning program.

So that would be "step one".

If that doesn't "fix" things then you probably are using poor media (media being the brand of blank DVD disc).

I suggest Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs. They come in 8x and 16x variety. Both are good but I go with the 8x discs as I only burn at 6x speed (sometimes even 4x speed).

I would buy Taiyo Yuden from RIMA.COM as they have proven to be reliable and only carry the "premuim" or "normal" grade Taiyo Yuden discs. Some other places carry something they call "value" Taiyo Yuden. Avoid!

OK why am I saying all this? The two things that seem to make the most difference in a quality burn and therefore greater compatibility among DVD players is 1.) The way it is burned and 2.) The media used.

You should also make sure that your DVD burner is up-to-date in terms of firmware. If your DVD burner is "very old" then you might want to get a new one. A new Pioneer DVD burner should be no more than $30 + shipping from a place like NewEgg.com or Mwave.com

Also if it were me I would burn no faster than 6x speed and I would create an ISO IMAGE file first (again if possible using ImgBurn). However ImgBurn can burn straight from a VIDEO_TS folder without first making an ISO IMAGE file and people tell me it works fine (crosses his heart and makes the sign of the lord). Call me "old school" but I feel better burning from an ISO IMAGE file.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Yes I have read all I can find and still am puzzled.
    2. No my downloads are not copyrighted. I am a wrestling coach and a large number of us share clinic videos and technique demos from camps we work at or attend to further our knowledge - through a group on Rapidshare. Many camps allow you to video the sessions. These are what I am trying to get to play on various players so I can use them at school or let my wrestlers check them out to take home and study.
    3. I will try another media and try to burn from the TS folder.
    4. My firmware seems to not effect it. I can use either an older Pioneer burner on my desktop or the one in my laptop (less than 6 months old) or even my burner on my new Sony DVD Player / Recorder and the same thing happens.
    5. Thanks for all the help. I did try several friends players (mostly new) and it they will not play on them either. It seems that the newer the player and the higher quality and price of the player the LESS likely the video is to play. Like I said my little portable and the X-Box plays all of them they will also play on my laptop fine.

I will try all your suggestions and maybe buy that new software IMGBURN if it is not too expensive.

Once again,
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by herd72
    I will try all your suggestions and maybe buy that new software IMGBURN if it is not too expensive.
    IMGBURN is free, just click on the red word and it'll get you started on the dowload process.
    Quote Quote