VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I get Toshiba Error Code E25 "This program cannot be recorded" though I have been recording these stations (all PBS) for years. PBS says nothing has changed on their end. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You need to describe how you're getting PBS - cable box, satellite box, over the air, or some other method I can't think of.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Via Comcast cable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sounds like comcast has a copy protect flag on it. Is it an HD channel? If so try a non-HD PBS channel and see if you get the same result.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, it was just a regular Comcast channel. They are in the process of encrypting all the stations, they say, because of the FCC. But it very conveniently requires all Comcast users who want to record to have to rent the Comcast DVR for $17.95 a month.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mzonta View Post
    No, it was just a regular Comcast channel. They are in the process of encrypting all the stations, they say, because of the FCC. But it very conveniently requires all Comcast users who want to record to have to rent the Comcast DVR for $17.95 a month.
    If I remember correctly they don't actually HAVE to make all stations copy protected, it's that the FCC now ALLOWS them to do so where previously there were some restrictions that prevented local stations from being copy protected.

You are quite right that Comcast absolutely wants to force you to buy their DVR to record shows from their service and there's not a thing you or anyone else can do to stop them since what they are doing is (unfortunately) legal.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am wondering if mzonta might have luck if he tries using the composite video line out of the box to the Toshiba recorder. I know the 'do not copy flag' can come down that route too, but may be worth a shot.
    In the past I have had luck using one of my AV Toolbox AVT-8710 TBC using s-video or composite out to the TBC and out to the recorder. This is how I get 'important' things from my DVR to a recorder.

I know that is a pricey fix but there may be similar, but less expensive options.

--dES
    Last edited by Des; 4th Oct 2013 at 21:06. Reason: too many typos
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mzonta View Post
    After a decade of lobbying by cable companies, the FCC changed their regulations last year to allow encryption of local channels (on a completely voluntary basis), where prior to 2012 this was not allowed without applying for an exemption and proving a need for it. However, as far as I know they are still NOT allowed to copy protect locally broadcast channels to prevent or restrict recording from your cable box's analog connections. I'm a Comcast subscriber myself and can record from the analog outputs of my cable box using a DVD recorder. I have to manually change the channel on the cable box now, but it does work.
    Quote Quote