VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there
    I've been converting some videos to MKV but accidentally Hardcoded Subtitles into them. I know I can remove them with MKVToolnix, but am wondering how to change them so they become Softcoded?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am PLEABS
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i think you misunderstanding what hardcode and softcode subs is
    Hardcode subs means the subtitle is burned into the video stream there is no way to remove it, the best you can do is camouflage it.
    Softcode subs means the subtitle is a separated stream from the video, you can turn it on and off as you wish.
    MKV Toolnix only can remove the Softcoded one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. MKVToolnix removed the subtitles on videos that I accidentally hardcoded and there was no indication that those subtitles had been there in the first place!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because they never were there.

No program can magically remove hard-coded subtitles. Argue about this for ever and a day but your are wrong.

Play one of those 'hard-coded' mkv's and check the subtitle option. It will be selected. De-select it and they vanish just as they did with your magic program.

There may be an option to \utomatically turn subs on at the creation of the mkv but that does not hard-code them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am PLEABS
    Search Comp PM
    That's why i said you misunderstanding the meaning of hardcode/softcode subtitle
    if the subtitle removable then it is softcoded.

Hardcoded subtitle is like a finished painting then the painter sign the painting with their signature, the sign goes with it forever

Softcoded subtitle is like a finished painting then the painter wrap it with transparent plastic and sign on that plastic instead.
    Quote Quote  
  6. So what you are saying is that the subtitles I have on those videos are not actually hardcoded? I presumed that they must have been because there is no option to disable them on any players used?
    Therefore, if they can be removed with MKVToolnix, is there also any way to display them as a separate track, if you understand what I mean?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. So there may be an option to have the subtitles on permanently. Not the same as hard-coded.

I do not use that program but I would have thought that if you have the subs on a track but without the said option selected those subs are then optionally selected at playback
    Quote Quote  
  8. I assumed originally that these subs were hardcoded as the web has many pages where they state it's easy to remove hardcoded subs. I know that there are many, many, many movies & TV shows around the world with subtitles permanently imbedded in them. However these websites that use the word hardcoded have got the meaning completely wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    I assumed originally that these subs were hardcoded as the web has many pages where they state it's easy to remove hardcoded subs.
    It's not, and doing it leaves behind a blurry mess.
    I know that there are many, many, many movies & TV shows around the world with subtitles permanently imbedded in them.
    Embedding is different from hard coding. Embedded subs aren't a part of the video and can be turned on or off or removed entirely.
    However these websites that use the word hardcoded have got the meaning completely wrong.
    That may or may not be true, but it's a cinch you don't understand the difference. At least not so far.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The English meaning of the words - some may quibble but essentially this is what we have

Hard coded = burnt into and part of the actual image. Cannot be removed. Can be camouflaged by blurring or covering etc..
    Embedded = means it is a incorporated within the container as a separate entity ie can be switched on or off and can normally be extracted in most cases as a separate file.
    Soft = same as embedded
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote