VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm not sure why but x264 keeps messing with colours or the brightness.

This is the source:
    [Attachment 59751 - Click to enlarge]

The encode:
    [Attachment 59752 - Click to enlarge]

My settings used vspipe --y4m "C:\Users\T4\Documents\SciptsVS\test.vpy" - | E:\[VapourSynth]\x264-r3065-ae03d92.exe --preset veryslow --crf 15 --keyint 240 --min-keyint 23 --psy-rd 0.75:0.0 --aq-mode 3 --aq-strength 0.90 --qcomp 0.72 --b-adapt 2 --ref 6 --bframes 12 --deblock -1:-1 --no-dct-decimate --rc-lookahead 60 --ipratio 1.3 --me umh --merange 32 --trellis 2 --demuxer y4m - --output "E:\output.mp4"

My vapoursynth script is very simple, and the colours in vapoursynth preview were unaltered so I assume it's x264's doing:
    Code:
    import vapoursynth as vs
    import lvsfunc as lvf
    import fvsfunc as fvf
    import havsfunc as haf
    import functools
    core = vs.core

src = lvf.src(r'E:\VideoWork\med.mkv')
    src = src[20318:20947]

scaled = core.resize.Spline36(src, 854, 480)

out = scaled
    final = fvf.Depth(out, 8)
    final.set_output()
    Why is x264 causing these colour shifts? It's driving me mad. I tried searching up a solution and people said use --colourmatrix bt709 but that didn't do anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How were those two screenshots made?

It does look like a colorimetry (Rec.601 vs. Rec.709) mismatch to me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I took them both in mpv, it's appears like that in other players and the default windows one so I don't think that's the issue
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hihflappy View Post

Why is x264 causing these colour shifts? It's driving me mad. I tried searching up a solution and people said use --colourmatrix bt709 but that didn't do anything.

It does looks like a 601/709 mismatch. Likely your player or screenshot method is causing the shift, because there is no colormatrix compensation in the script

mpv uses colorimetry flags to override playback. Did you use --colourmatrix with the typo (there is no "u") or the proper --colormatrix ?

Was the source 1920x1080 ? Were you downscaling it ? If so, I would change the actual color in the script and flag it --colormatrix smpte170m during encoding. That way it will play correctly in almost all situations

scaled = core.resize.Spline36(src, 854, 480, matrix_in_s="709", matrix_s="170m")
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Probably the wrong colour space.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by hihflappy View Post

It does looks like a 601/709 mismatch. Likely your player or screenshot method is causing the shift, because there is no colormatrix compensation in the script

mpv uses colorimetry flags to override playback. Did you use --colourmatrix with the typo (there is no "u") or the proper --colormatrix ?

Was the source 1920x1080 ? Were you downscaling it ? If so, I would change the actual color in the script and flag it --colormatrix smpte170m during encoding. That way it will play correctly in almost all situations

scaled = core.resize.Spline36(src, 854, 480, matrix_in_s="709", matrix_s="170m")
    Wow, this fixed it. You're right I was trying to downscale from 1080p. I showed that other encode in 1080p because that was me trying it without resizing to see if that would fix it which it didn't. The colour space for both was still YUV so I don't think it was that. Defining the matrix in the spline36 command fixed it though, thank you
    Quote Quote