VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Some years ago when I was moving from the UK to the USA I avi'd some of my dvd's in case I couldn't get them here. Well since then a USA version is now available. So I have now bought the USA version and wish to convert to MP4.

But I'm curious as to what has been done to it.

My old avi file which is from the uk version is 25 FPS run time 1h 28m.
    The USA version is 29.970 FPS but the running time is still 1h 28m

How is that possible? What does it mean in terms of what did they do to the video?
    Should I try to change it back to 25 FPS when converting to MP4? Although I'm not exactly clear in a lot of the 29.970 to 25.000 I have read. Would it be as simple as ChangeFPS()?

So am just curious.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. First, you can't be absolutely sure they are both the same cut of the movie until you've compared them. Play them side by side and see.

But assuming they are the same: the different frame rates can be produced by duplicating frames (usually fields with interlaced video). So the running time can be the same for the original 24 fps film, the 29.97 fps video, and the 25 fps video. If that was done all three would have the same run time. The best way to encode those would be to remove the duplicate frames/fields to get back to the original 24 fps. But we'd have to see a sample to determine the best way to do that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's also possible that this PAL DVD from the UK is some UK TV show etc. that was originally 25fps and not 24fps film. That could also explain the NTSC version at 29.970fps being the same length. Just a thought ...
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes it is a TV show from the BBC 'Judge John Deed'. each episode is 90 minutes in length. So should I post a sample then? How do I do this? And in what format? Length 30 sec/1min?

I know these questions might be simple but everything I've encoded till now seemed to be progressive so it was basically 'click' and 'click' But now I'm outside that and stuck sorry....

Thank you for your patience and time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Upload a ~10 second sample with moderate motion including a panning shot. And from the middle of the video. Introductory or ending credits are often fiddled with and don't represent the body of the work. The container doesn't matter but don't reencode the video. For example, if this is a DVD upload a VOB or MPG or M2V file.

PAL sources are often converted to NTSC with field blending. Those usually require something like QTGMC().SRestore().
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    PAL sources are often converted to NTSC with field blending. Those usually require something like QTGMC().SRestore().
    Yes, and BBC sources are always converted to NTSC using field-blending. And that's also why the PAL and NTSC DVD lengths are the same.
    Quote Quote  
  7. How do you use QTGMC()? I download the dll's and the avsi script and put them in
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin" folder

But how do I use it with MeGUI? I get a not function called MT_Makediff function error.

I also do not know were to upload a 10s clip.
    Quote Quote  
  8. QTGMC has several dependencies - other functions on which it depends and which you also need to have:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028

As for cutting a slice of the video, open a VOB in DGIndex and use the [ and ] buttons to choose a small section. Then File->Save Project File and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V. It can be uploaded here by clicking on the 'Upload files/Manage attachments' button below where you do the typing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Some other smart bob methods that can be used instead of QTGMC() are Yadif(mode=1) and Interleave(TFM(field=0), TFM(field=1)) (you may need to reverse the 0 and 1). Both are much faster than QTGMC(). Yadif() doesn't deliver as good quality. Interleaved TFMs can work well with some material.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok Here is a 10s clip.... (I hope, never done this before)

Also I still can not get QTGMC to work. I have read if you want quality of encode speed you get better reaults with it.
    I have put the plugin dlls in avisynth plugin folder as stated above and put the 2 sytem dlls needed in system32. and imported the QTGMC AVSI script but I still get error.

I am running AviSynth 2.60, build: Jan 14 2013

If I include yadif.dll I get not a AviSynth 2.6 or 2.5 plugin error.
    and taking it out gives me a I get a not function called MT_Makediff function errorin the QTGMC.avsi lines 776, 386
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's the usual PAL to NTSC field blending:

Code:
    Yadif(mode=1) # QTGMC() would be a little better.
    SRestore()
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ZenMystic View Post
    If I include yadif.dll I get not a AviSynth 2.6 or 2.5 plugin error.
    Read the included doc. It can't be loaded as can most other DLLs - by placing it in your plugins folder. You need a 'LoadPlugin' line in your script, something like:

LoadCPlugin("C:Path\To\Yadif.dll")

For QTGMC, do you have the MT_MaskTools.dll, or the correct version? Don't mix and match. When you download the things you need, get them all from the same place or same package.

Or try an easier bobber, one like TDeint:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/TDeint

TDeint(Mode=1)
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have an AVSI script in AviSynth's plugins folder that loads yadif.dll automatically every time AviSynth starts:

Code:
    Load_Stdcall_plugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\yadif.dll")
    So I don't have to have that line in every script that uses yadif().
    Quote Quote  
  14. OK so the error i get now is...
    AviSynth access violation mt_masktools-26.dll

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong... AAARRGGG... But nor do I now wish to give up after putting this time into it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The 26 version is for AviSynth 2.6 versions, the 25 version for 2.5 versions. Do you know which version of AviSynth you have? If not, make an AVS file with only this inside:

Version()

and open it in VDub. Put only the one you need (the mt_masktools-25.dll, I would guess) in the plugins folder.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yes I have AviSynth 2.60, build: Jan 14 2013 according to Version().
    Quote Quote  
  17. After doing some checking, I discovered my QTGMC is using just MT_MaskTools.dll, and not the MT_MaskTools-26.dll". However, I have both in my script without problems I use template scripts with all filters loaded with LoadPlugin or Import lines. I believe your problem with it is due to you not having a needed Microsoft Visual C++ runtime dependency. See here:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/MaskTools2
    Quote Quote  
  18. Nope didn't make any difference still getting the same error...... This is so frustrating!!! I've never had such trouble with a script.

ok so... I went here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028

And downloaded plugin pack using the updated Avisynth 2.6 interface

I then put the Avisynth 32-bit Plugins in C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin and put the 32-bit System dlls in the Windows\SysWoW64 folder because I am running windows 7 Pro 64

I also tried updating AviSynth.dll from here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=148782
    Quote Quote  
  19. Oh geez, 64-bit. Make sure everything is 32-bit. Other than that, someone else might have to help. Sorry.

Have you tried to check if you can open bobbed Yadif and/or TDeint in your scripts? And then added in Srestore to get your video unblended and back to 25fps?
    Quote Quote