VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am running a dual boot system, Win XP and Vista Ultimate. Intel quad core cpu, lite-on DH-401S BD, 3 gig memory, Benq 21" wide screen monitor (1680x1050), sata II hard drives. Power DVD 8 Ultra.

Disc does not even show in XP (shows CD Rom Drive), and the program says "nothing in the drive" I can rip it to the hard drive with Anydvd-HD, but it won't play

Plays perfectly when I switch to Vista!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    BluRay (and the late HD DVD format) use the UDF 2.50 file system. XP only supports UDF version 2.1. It can't see the disc because it doesn't understand the file system on it. After a web search I found some UDF 2.50 drivers that were never officially released but were used to get the HD DVD add on drive for the Xbox working with PCs. After installing these my XP system can miraculously see HD DVD format on DVD-5/9 discs. I've read that Vista comes with UDF 2.50 drivers, which is why you can rip the disc under Vista. People claim that if you install some software program like PowerDVD that this will install the UDF 2.50 drivers on your XP system, but that's not true. You'll have to do what I did and look for the HD DVD UDF 2.50 drivers and install those. Why Microsoft hasn't bothered to make an official UDF 2.50 driver for XP is something I don't know.

As far as your rips not playing, you should be aware that both PowerDVD and WinDVD no longer support playing BluRay from hard disk. A web search should be able to find which versions were the last ones that supported playing from hard disk, so you'll have to find and install those versions (a P2P search might be helpful here).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks....easier than I thought. Disc is recognized in XP, but PowerDVD plays only the audio. Screen is black.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My 2nd paragraph above explains what is probably the cause of your playback issue. It's ugly, but if you directly load a *.m2ts file in VLC, it should be able to play it from the hard disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    actually, I've already figured out that mediaplayer classic will play the m2ts files, and Mainconcept Reference will re-encode the video (with AnyDVD HD), and how to de-mux the audio using tsremux......which brings us back to the original question: the blu-ray disc will play in Vista, but not in XP
    Quote Quote