VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    "A jury just ruled in favor of TiVo in their suit against EchoStar, awarding TiVo $73M of the $87M they asked for. From the article: 'TiVo had sought $87 million in damages from the Dish satellite-TV network in a patent dispute that TiVo lawyers said could be "life or death" for the company that sold the first box for pausing and rewinding live television.'"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060413/ap_on_bi_ge/tivo_patent;_ylt=AqhpE10xNYJVm55lnjuBW...NqBHNlYwM3NDk-
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This just in -

APPEALS TO FOLLOW (this will never be settled quickly I assure you - I bet you it will be a few years before tivo sees any money)
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hope they don't plan to like remote disable our Dish DVR.

Well unless they are going to replace it with a real Dish TIVO in which case disable away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well remember they avoided a Blackberry shutdown so I don't even know if this case was about shutting down the competition. Besides there are always software workarouns or "decreased usability" for the features supposedly stolen or comprimised from tivo. Thats what blackberry was working on. A software workaround for the patent issue.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Digital video recording maker TiVo announced it has extended it's partnership with satellite TV provider DirecTV Group Inc. for another three years. Under the agreement, DirecTV will continue to provide TiVo service to its existing subscribers. Both companies also extended their advertising relationship and agreed not to assert patent rights against each other.
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...but Echostar = Dish Network.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I wonder when tivo will start after the HTPC market.

If their case is based on pausing and recording live TV with a box, then any USB device will be in their cross hairs.
    For the love of God, use hub/core labels on your Recordable Discs!
    Quote Quote