VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, apologies for posting what is no doubt a boring question but... I have an HEVC 4K MKV file which is about 55GB in size. I have been trying to figure out if it's possible to burn this to a BDXL to play in my UHD player. I have discovered that there are hurdles but sometimes I read things on here that suggests other people have figured something out so notwithstanding the make and model of my Blu-ray Writer and UHD player... is this possible?

I ran the MKV through tsMuxer to create AVCHD files (BDMV and CERT) and the file size of course remains under the 2 layer 66GB limit so that side of things isn't an issue and I have a BDXL disc in the post coming to me today. I guess my question is, if I had a Writer/Player that accepted BDXL discs, can I burn it as Video so that it will auto play in it's 4K glory? Could I simply write the MKV as Data and select it in a the Players menus? Is either possible or neither?

Again, sorry for posting this, there's just so much info out there and it mostly feels like it relates to regular Blu-Rays and it's a real struggle to get the exact right information so if anyone would be happy to take pity on me and advise then I would be very grateful.

Thanks
    Michael
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by michaelsft View Post
    Hi all, apologies for posting what is no doubt a boring question but... I have an HEVC 4K MKV file which is about 55GB in size. I have been trying to figure out if it's possible to burn this to a BDXL to play in my UHD player. I have discovered that there are hurdles but sometimes I read things on here that suggests other people have figured something out so notwithstanding the make and model of my Blu-ray Writer and UHD player... is this possible?

I ran the MKV through tsMuxer to create AVCHD files (BDMV and CERT) and the file size of course remains under the 2 layer 66GB limit so that side of things isn't an issue and I have a BDXL disc in the post coming to me today. I guess my question is, if I had a Writer/Player that accepted BDXL discs, can I burn it as Video so that it will auto play in it's 4K glory? Could I simply write the MKV as Data and select it in a the Players menus? Is either possible or neither?

Again, sorry for posting this, there's just so much info out there and it mostly feels like it relates to regular Blu-Rays and it's a real struggle to get the exact right information so if anyone would be happy to take pity on me and advise then I would be very grateful.

Thanks
    Michael
    it is possible to play the file, see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/388243-BluRay-Player-with-BDXL-Support
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. Presuming then that it's just a matter of burning the MKV as a data file and avoiding the AVCHD stuff or trying to author it in some way.
    Quote Quote