VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, so I stumbled onto something about AVCHD discs today and starting wondering if encoding this way allows for more content without loss of quality vs. a standard Blu-ray Disc burn, and I can’t seem to find any clear answers searching the web. I’m brand new to the concept so I don’t know how any of it really works, but I was intrigued. Could anyone answer this question and break down the basics for me? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The bitrate determines how much you can fit on a disc

filesize = bitrate * running time

BD allows for a higher bitrate, and thus higher potential quality

AVCHD v1 allows for < 24Mb/s bitrate , AVCHD v2 < 28Mb/s , BD <40Mb/s for max rates

The higher the bitrate (if everything else is the same), the higher the quality, the less you can fit on a disc

so if you chose to use a lower bitrate for BD encoding the same as some other AVCHD disc, it would be the same amount you could fit on a disc
    Quote Quote  
  3. What are you trying to put on the AVCHD?
    A rip/download or something from another source like VHS?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I’m trying to back up my tv show collection, so the sources would be predominantly DVD and Blu-ray rips. It’d be nice to fit more onto each disc if possible, though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I reckon most will tell you to just back up to a hard disk and avoid re-encoding all together.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I imagine they would, but I want to use them as discs in my BR player.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Poisondeathray pretty much laid it out.
    Shick out the descriptions here and on wikipedia.
    I recckon converting DVDs to an AVCHD would mean getting better quality at a smaller file but I doubt it for Blu Ray.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    I’m trying to back up my tv show collection, so the sources would be predominantly DVD and Blu-ray rips. It’d be nice to fit more onto each disc if possible, though.
    I think you missed the significance of this:

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    The bitrate determines how much you can fit on a disc

filesize = bitrate * running time
    What that's telling you is this: you can put as much running time as you want on a Blu-ray or AVCHD disc by using lower bitrates. But the lower the bitrate you use the worse the quality. You have to decide for yourself how much quality you are willing to lose. And you have to do that on a case by case basis -- different videos require different bitrates.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There might be an opportunity to re-encode DVDs with a difference AVCHD compliant codec that might save you some space without quality loss but Blu-Rays will likely lose some. It might not be noticeable though...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok, thanks for the help, all!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    save as data ? it doesn't matter which compression you use, most codecs are supported, only no fancy menus, only file structure on screen.
    Quote Quote