VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to make the best possible quality digital transfers of my old concert DVDs in order to playback on streaming media (i.e. Apple TV). I have the same DVD concert release in both NTSC and PAL format. I realize there's some art and some science to this, but I'm trying to figure out which to start with and what deinterlace / detelecine settings to use on either to produce the best result.

Here is the first :59 seconds of the video, from both sources:

NTSC: https://www.sendspace.com/file/sxjzlx
    PAL: https://www.sendspace.com/file/kourwn

I'm a newbie to DGIndex, but it's indicating that both the NTSC and PAL DVDs are Interlaced. I definitely see the interlacing in the NTSC clip, and it appears to be a 5i : 1p telecine pattern (although, the 1p frame isn't entirely convincing - there are some minor horizontal artifacts), possibly indicating that the NTSC DVD is telecined PAL content? On the PAL source, it looks much more like progressive content, although I think I can see some minor horizontal line artifacts.

Is it possible that the PAL source is somehow telecined and/or interlaced, as DGIndex indicates? If so, does this imply or indicate that the original source was film and that I can somehow return to that framerate (using either the PAL or NTSC DVD)? Is there a clean method of reverting PAL --> film (23.976fps [24fps]) using AVISynth, or any other method?

I've done some NTSC Video (29.970fps) to NTSC Film (23.976fps) conversions using TIVTC... Is there a similar method approach going from PAL?

Then, again, I could be wrong: perhaps the NTSC is truly straight up Interlaced video, and the PAL is some adaptation from it (30fps source material)?

thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The PAL source is encoded interlaced but the frames are progressive. Just handle it as progressive video. If you think it should be 24p just use AssumeFPS(24). You'll have to adjust the audio length if you do that.

The NTSC source is field blended from a progressive PAL source (no change in running time or audio pitch). You could restore the the original frame rate with QTGMC().SRestore(). But why bother since you have a better PAL source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Got it. Thanks, again.
    Quote Quote