VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear e-readers,

I am sorry if I am breaking the rules. Although the site is mostly subscription, not everything is subscription, so it is not strictly a subscription site. I am getting the free videos "The Power of the Parabola", "Symphony in a Single Note", "Saute: Dry Heat Cooking with Fat", "Cracking the Code: Space Mysteries Explained", and many more. As a matter of fact, I am not subscribed at all to TheGreatCourses, and if you don't believe me, I can prove it to you if you contact me. One way or another, let's play it safe, and I am not going to ask more about downloading subtitles (in spite of the fact that I can see that similar questions have been asked before).

Cordially yours,

Carlos Albert
    Disco Makberto
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just trying to keep this site safe and clean.

Don't know how you're getting free content. From the FAQS:

"What is the difference between The Great Courses and The Great Courses Plus?
    The Great Courses Plus is a streaming video on demand membership which you can stream from our website and stream or download from the app. The Great Courses offers a la carte purchases of DVDs and Downloads. Each currently have separate websites, apps, and accounts, but features most of the same courses available for individual sale from The Great Courses."

https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/faq

I'll leave it up to the Mods what to do with this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello, lingyi!

Please check this link out:

https://www.rokuguide.com/channels/the-great-courses .

In relevant part, you can read: "If you haven't purchased any courses, there are a number of free introductory videos available that you can view one you have created your profile. Topics include:

Saute: Dry Heat Cooking with Fat
    Symphony in a Single Note
    Composing Great Photos
    Jerusalem's Temple Mount
    Describing Motion".

Thank you for being open-minded, but I prefer to leave this topic behind. It is the most principled thing for me to do.

Most sincerely,

Carlos Albert
    Disco Makberto
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thumbs up for taking the high road and dropping the topic. As a long time member, I think you would agree that keeping the integrity of this site and abiding by the forum rules is a primary goal and responsibility of membership here.

Out of curiosity I signed up for free at thegreatcourses, but can't find any of the titles you listed there. I do find that at thegreatcourseplus, but that requires signing up for a free trial for their membership.

Also, to be clear, I reported your first thread not because you were asking how to download the subs, but because the videos must be paid for on a subscription site.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello, lingyi!

Thanks very much for your helping hand.

The free videos are under "My Library", at least in my case.

On a related note, building up on the fact that TheGreatCourses streaming service is not always a paid service, another way to get free streaming videos from the site is by getting a library card from a library that supports the site. There are other ways, too. All are completely legal, by the way.

Take care,

Carlos Albert
    Disco Makberto
    Quote Quote