VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All

I was hoping someone could take a look at the attached file and provide some feedback on what issues they identyfy in the capture.

Many thanks

DMS
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: avi t1.avi (463.14 MB, 32 views)
    Quote Quote  
  2. No major issues I think. Partially the colors are a bit pale (low saturation), but colors are always a matter of taste.
    For recompressing some denoising would help to reduce the filesize.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There's horizontal pixellation, as if this was resized up from a lower resolution by Nearest Neighbor (like PointResize in Avisynth).

First is a field, second is the same field but halved and then re-doubled using a better resizer, specifically BicubicResize(width/2,height).BicubicResize(width,height).

[Attachment 59151 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 59152 - Click to enlarge]

There is field-blending, but I assume this was part of the original broadcast, as a result of some standards conversion.
    [Attachment 59153 - Click to enlarge]
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, I noticed the blocky scaling artifacts and a lot of field blending. Was this from a frame rate converted source?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies, the footage is from the original broadcast by the bbc in 1992. The tape is my original recording which would have been from an analog source.

The capture is pal VCR scart out> dmr-eh50 pass through svideo out > dazzle capture > amarectv > lagarith.

When I use the dmr-eh50 as a pass through I do see an improvement in the stability of the picture, less horizontal jitter? But I wonder if it is doing something else when I am using the s-video out. Should I keep it all composite in and out?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's from the Canadian Grand Prix from what I can see, so it was likely filmed using NTSC equipment and then standards converted to PAL (with 1992's tech) for the European broadcast. The EH50 is essentially a ES10 with HDD, it should be able to do a great job with stabilizing the image. Not aware of the PAL panasonics doing anything else to the image if noise reduction is disabled other than that they can blow out very white spots (can be worked around by lowering the video level in some way before going into it, though that may be more of an issue with home footage).

I wouldn't use composite out from the dvd-recorder, it's the same signal just with the brightness and chroma having been re-combined which will result in more artifacts. You can also use the component output though I'm not sure if there would be any noticeable difference between S-Video and Component in this case, it's mainly for higher-res content.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    When I use the dmr-eh50 as a pass through I do see an improvement in the stability of the picture, less horizontal jitter? But I wonder if it is doing something else when I am using the s-video out. Should I keep it all composite in and out?
    I am currently using the dmr-eh50 as a passthrough with the Hauppauge USB Live2 as capturing device. Using the S-video out of the eh50 not only removes line wiggle but it also suppresses the dotcrawl of the composite VCR signal nicely (the VCR has no S-video output). I think the eh50 switches a 3D comb filter inbetween the Composite IN and the S-Video OUT. I have however to reduce the contrast with the proc amp to avoid crushed whites.
    I don't know the dazzle, but the filter for separating luma from chroma of the Hauppauge USB Live2 is not the best (if there is one at all ...).
    Last edited by Sharc; 28th May 2021 at 13:49.
    Quote Quote