VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a bunch (25) of mini-dv tapes (home video) and I had been burning them straight to dvd from the camcorder. But now I am wondering if they would look much better, authored & burned to blu-ray? I would have to use my firewire to put them from the camcorder to the computer and then transfer those files to my other computer ( the newer one with a blu-ray burner), and I guess then, using Multiavchd, author it to blu-ray and using imgburn, burn to a blue ray disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    they won't look any better on blu-ray. they are 720x480. the correct size for dvd. increasing the size to 1920x1080 doesn't make the source quality increase. it probably won't make them any noticeably worse than dvd but it would take more time to do.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    they won't look any better on blu-ray. they are 720x480. the correct size for dvd. increasing the size to 1920x1080 doesn't make the source quality increase. it probably won't make them any noticeably worse than dvd but it would take more time to do.

You don't have to upscale - You can use SD blu-ray . The benefit would be higher bitrates and better compression/quality with AVC over MPEG2 for DVD . Often MPEG2 at DVD bitrates isn't enough for DV sources, it tends to macroblock in noisy or where there is a lot of motion . Having said that it won't look miraculously better; it will only be very slightly better if done properly
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The BD spec did allow for recordables that directly capped the DV stream...has anyone ever seen a player that can play those kinds of discs? That would be an option if players existed on the market that accepted DV streams (in the BDAV structure), and the streams could be incorporated into that structure easily (tall order, I know). Then it's just a matter of losslessly re-using the original DV streams at their full bitrate.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. You should definitely capture that DV to have some back up, after that it is up to you, DVD you already have is compatible to all DVD and BD players. The only pain for you is perhaps just that capturing and from my point of view you should do that anyway.

Practicaly the only reason to make BD you want to give away is because of more space you have on that BD, much less discs to handle. DVD is more compatible if you keep what you've got.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Good points.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I will just keep them on DVD, maybe use DL 8.5GB DVD and put more on it.
    Quote Quote