VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Recently, I have been converting old Hi-8 and DV tapes to digital so we can have them on more modern SD cards. The initial capture is an .AVI file which I then convert to MP4/H265 through VLC media player. I have set the bitrate to 5000kb/sec. It all seemed to be OK until I looked at a fast action clip (skiing) and it looks horrible with horizontal lines everywhere.

Does anyone know of a good (and free) H264/H265 encoder that will handle moving action screens?

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. "with horizontal lines everywhere." sounds like interlacing,...
    also you are not looking for a different encoder (VLC like most other tools is using x265), you are looking for an easy to use gui and you probably need to read up on some video fundamentals so you know enough to be able to properly configure whatever gui you end up with. (also using a media player for video conversion instead of some gui resigned especially for that seems like a bad approach)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For a relatively simple editor/converter I would try avidemux.

I would also suggest you use that program to extract a short sample of one of your conversions - use copy video/audio output - so that we can also see what is going on. Maybe, also a short sample of the original fast-action footage.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ffmpeg can reencode DV interlaced video to interlaced h265 AFAIK
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    For a relatively simple editor/converter I would try avidemux.

I would also suggest you use that program to extract a short sample of one of your conversions - use copy video/audio output - so that we can also see what is going on. Maybe, also a short sample of the original fast-action footage.
    I played the original .avi and took a screenshot, and then I played the .mp4 and here it is...

I have found AVS works very well but it's not free. So it seems VLC does have an issue.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-10-11 11_10_07-2004-Dec-Master-00.52.08.632-00.59.50.413.avi - VLC media player.png
Views:	43
Size:	6.37 MB
ID:	61248  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-10-11 11_05_25-2004-Dec-Master-00.52.08.632-00.59.50.413.mp4 - VLC media player.png
Views:	37
Size:	5.71 MB
ID:	61249  

Quote Quote  
  6. looks like the source is interlaced and should either be encoded as interlaced or deinterlaced and encoded progressivly,...
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you upscale this for a 4k display or simply view it full-screen.

For the former, 5000 kbps would hardly be sufficient (The DV would typically have been 25000 kbps)

Screenshots really do not tell the full story (and, yes, DV should be interlaced). You will get more assistance with the samples as requested (30 secs of fast-motion footage is sufficient) and provided here as attachments.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Select the deinterlace option when you convert with VLC. And set the frame rate to 2x the source, 50 fps for PAL video.
    Quote Quote