VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I'm using VirtualDub2 v44282

Although I installed the AC3ACM64 plugin as well as many codecs (see attached file), VirtualDub2 does not recognize .ac3, .aac… audio (see attached file). And every time I have to extract the audio file, convert it to .mp3 and add it as "Audio from other file".

Is there a way to have audio files recognized by Virtualdun?
    Thanks for your help
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VD-Lame MP3.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	56571  

Image Attached Files
    Windows 10 x64 v2004, Intel Core i7, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD
    Quote Quote  
  2. – Generally speaking, when requesting help on this forum, you shouldn't mention that you need help to deal with illegally acquired movies, AKA “warez”.
    – Even when it comes to these things, the AVI + Xvid + AC3 combo with a 704x368 resolution is seriously antiquated and should be outlawed by now.
    – I checked a few such files I happen to have lying around (actually stuff recovered from a HDD purchased used – I wouldn't even bother downloading anything with such lousy quality anyway) : strangely, the first one I tried had the audio not recognized in VirtualDub2, as mentioned (using v. 43073 which is beginning to be a bit obsolete), but the second one worked, although both have 5.1 AC3 audio. I tried the first one again, but changed the input driver : “Open” => “Input driver” => “Caching input driver” (instead of the default “Audio/video interleave input driver”), then the audio could be played properly.
    – Installing sh*tloads of codecs haphazardly is not recommended.
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 1st Jan 2021 at 19:35.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to recompress the audio, make sure that the "Full processing mode" item in the Audio menu is ticked
    At least this is how things work in the "normal" VirtualDub.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. VirtualDub2 comes with an AC3 decoder. And your screenshot shows you have an AC-3 ACM encoder. What's the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    I tried the first one again, but changed the input driver : “Open” => “Input driver” => “Caching input driver” (instead of the default “Audio/video interleave input driver”), then the audio could be played properly.
    – Installing sh*tloads of codecs haphazardly is not recommended.
    TNX for replying
    However, how do you proceed to change the input driver : “Open” => “Input driver” => “Caching input driver”?
    I can't find such command in VirtualDub2.
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally, I find how to change the input driver.
    When the input driver is (default) "Caching input driver", VirtualDub2 does not recognize .ac3, .aac… audio (see above image).

On the other hand, if the input driver is "Audio/Video interleave input driver (internal" (see image), VirtualDub allows me to select "AC-3 ACM Codec" in 3/2 channels, no Mono or Stereo (see image).
    So, when I start saving the video, VirtualDub returns the error message "Error initializing audio stream compression. Not installed audio codecs could compress the source audio to the desired format…" (see attached image). Yet, AC3 codecs, AAC are installed (see attached file installed codecs above).

Thanks for your help

Name:	WD-InputDriver audio internal 2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	56649  

Quote Quote  
  7. VirtualDub2 is only showing formats that match your audio type. I believe you can tick the Show All Formats option to see others. But if you pick one that doesn't match your audio it will fail.

Use Audio -> Conversion to downmix to stereo or mono if that's what you want. Audio -> Full Processing Mode must be enabled.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well seen
    Thank you very much
    Quote Quote  
  9. In the audio compression window you're selecting the format for re-encoding. Your source is 6 channel according to the MediaInfo details you posted.

If the source is AC3 and you want the output to be AC3, why are you recompressing it? You're selecting the method for re-encoding the audio when you select the AC3 ACM codec.

To avoid re-encoding, open the AVI using the Audio/Video Interleaved method, and select Direct Stream Copy under the Audio menu.
    The original AC3 audio will simply be copied to the output file. No need to decode and recompress it. Make sure you open it that way as the Caching Input Driver always decodes, so you can't use Direct Stream Copy.

[Attachment 56662 - Click to enlarge]

If you want the output file to have MP3 audio, which your first screenshot indicates, you have to use Full Precessing Mode, then under the Audio/Conversion menu select Stereo as the number of channels, then for Audio Compression, select FFmpeg MP3. You probably won't see any choices for MP3 unless the audio is stereo, or you convert it to stereo under the conversion menu first, as MP3 only supports stereo audio.

Once you've done this:

[Attachment 56663 - Click to enlarge]

You should see this:

[Attachment 56664 - Click to enlarge]

Click "Config" to set the quality (I assume that's how it works. I've not used it myself).
    The following, I'm guessing, would give you the default VBR quality (-V 2 for LAME MP3, which ffmpeg uses). That's all you need. A higher bitrate won't sound better, as -V 2 is considered to be "transparent". Assuming that's how it works and the fader is selecting the -V number. -V 0 is maximum quality. -V 9 is lowest quality.

[Attachment 56666 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by hello_hello; 7th Jan 2021 at 05:17.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for this additional information
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    This time it is another video with AAC audio (see attached image).
    Only "Caching input driver" is available. So no audio compression nor Lame MP3, neither AAC nor AC3 are available (see attached image).

Any idea?

Name:	VD-File Info.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	56667  

Click image for larger version

Name:	VD-Caching input driver only available.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	56668  

Quote Quote  
  12. Are you sure you have full processing mode enabled under the audio menu?
    None of what I can see in your screenshots should have any bearing on the type of audio compression you can use.

The menu where it displays Caching Input driver is interactive. It depends on the chosen "File Open" type, and the selected source file. For example:

"ffmpeg video" is selected as the file type (as far as I know, "ffmpeg video" (or audio) is the Caching Input Driver).
    [Attachment 56681 - Click to enlarge]

"All media types" selected. Now I can choose between the Caching Input Driver and the AVI Input Driver.
    [Attachment 56682 - Click to enlarge]

Select an MKV to open though, and the option disappears. The AVI Input Driver can't open MKVs.
    [Attachment 56683 - Click to enlarge]

Select an m2v file, and now the second option changes to mpeg.
    [Attachment 56684 - Click to enlarge]

Select a File Type that only the Caching Input Driver can open, and the lower drop down box is greyed out again.
    [Attachment 56685 - Click to enlarge]

It's rather interactive, and even the type of file selected in the File Name section can change your options, but VirtualDub2 is trying to only offer you the appropriate options for the File Type selected in the drop down list, and the type of file in the File Name section, however none of that should have anything to do with your ability to choose an audio compressor for the output once you've opened a file.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    YES, I have Full processing mode enabled under the audio menu.
    The video I'm using (convert) is an MKV. So, the input drive option disappears (gray). No audio compression is available. PCM (no audio compression) is used by default (see attached).
    When I save that video, the resulting file sized several GB because the audio data is huge.

Aside from the ability to extract the audio file, convert it to .mp3 and add it as "Audio from other file".
    Is there any way to compress the audio with VirtualDub2?
    Regards

Name:	VD-No audio compress.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	56686  

Quote Quote  
  14. Once again, turn on Show All Formats and you'll see why those audio codecs aren't available.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I tick "Show all format", all codecs/formats appears (see image). But, as soon as I click on [OK], the "Select Audio Compression" is closed, "Show all format" turned off and therefore no more audio compression available.

Name:	VD-Show all.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	56691  

Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by coukou View Post
    When I tick "Show all format", all codecs/formats appears (see image). But, as soon as I click on [OK], the "Select Audio Compression" is closed
    Because your audio is not the correct format (sample size, sample rate, number of channels) for the codec you chose. You either have to choose a codec that's suitable for your audio, or convert your audio to a format that's suitable for the codec.
    Quote Quote