VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings,

I've been quickly perusing this forum. I'm not satisfied with what I've found, so I'm going to post my request. And I'm sure as soon as I do that, someone will point out that if I had just gone to that particular thread, I would have found my answer. There's just too much here.

Let me start off with what I had and that will lead into what I want. In 2008, I had purchased a video capture device from Honestech and connected it to my XP machine. I had TV, VCR, 4-track 7" reel-to-reel, cassette/cd player, vinyl turntable feeds via coax or RCA cables. That worked fine until my XP machine died. I replaced it with a win10 system, but the Honestech does not work, no updated drivers. I checked out Vidbox (who acquired the rights to Honestech) and they provide a video solution and an audio solution, but not both. Elgato provides a video only solution. Are there others out there?

I am starting to look into using Oracle's VirtualBox and install a virtual XP system. That would probably solve my immediate problem but raises the question, is it time to find newer technology?

Once I am back up and running, I would also like to expand the devices I have. One being a 2 track 2"-4" reel to reel mini tape player and the other a 8mm projector (or more like a player/converter from analog to digital), both with RCA cables for output.

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Generally when it comes to video capture or any other intensive niche work that peaked with a legacy OS and legacy hardware, "virtual" is a Pandora's Box of glitches just waiting to happen at the worst possible time. If you were getting results that pleased you with your XP-based capture system, do what nearly everyone here does in a similar situation: save the sparkling new PITA Win10 PC for what it does best (web surfing, gaming, MS Office, Photoshop) and don't try to make it do video capture. Instead, hit eBay or Amazon or CraigsList for a good cheap vintage XP-era PC that has a slot compatible with your Honestech and set it up as a separate dedicated capture workstation.

Video capture has been a "legacy" task for more than a few years now. In modern Silicon Valley parlance, "legacy" means "We make noises about supporting it but unless you have Satya Nadella or Tim Cook on speed dial the truth is we could care less and you're gonna have a very hard time making it work reliably". Many of us still doing VHS capture or film scanning are using old gear that relies on old OS and old motherboard specs: easiest solution is to use the same-era old PC/Mac that was designed to run this old stuff in the first place. Way way less stressful than trying to cajole baseline incompatible new Win 10 or Mac OSX Mojave systems do something they weren't really intended to support. Comb thru the thousands of capture threads here on VH, and you'll find maybe a half dozen members (if even that) who claim easy-peasy success with the newest PCs and OS iterations. Those people are extremely lucky or extremely gifted savants with integration skills: the rest of us find using dedicated older PC/OS much more reliable and simpler to set up.
    Last edited by orsetto; 29th Mar 2021 at 23:19.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked out Vidbox (who acquired the rights to Honestech) and they provide a video solution and an audio solution, but not both. Elgato provides a video only solution.
    I'm not with you. Do you want a capture solution for audio only?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you Orsetto, I have thought about that but space is at a premium. I like your idea but if I acquire that mini tape player and/or the 8mm projector, things will get cramped. As it is, my scanner is on its last legs, and I'm looking for a document scanner with a large flatbed, automatic document feeder, duplex and dual scanning, PLUS photo quality scanning for film negatives and slides. I can't find a AIO so I may end up with two scanners. That is definitely going in the wrong direction. I'll probably play with the virtualbox solution. I work with VMWare Horizon so I don't expect it to act up where I couldn't deal with it. I will let you know.

Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Generally when it comes to video capture or any other intensive niche work that peaked with a legacy OS and legacy hardware, "virtual" is a Pandora's Box of glitches just waiting to happen at the worst possible time. If you were getting results that pleased you with your XP-based capture system, do what nearly everyone here does in a similar situation: save the sparkling new PITA Win10 PC for what it does best (web surfing, gaming, MS Office, Photoshop) and don't try to make it do video capture. Instead, hit eBay or Amazon or CraigsList for a good cheap vintage XP-era PC that has a slot compatible with your Honestech and set it up as a separate dedicated capture workstation.

Video capture has been a "legacy" task for more than a few years now. In modern Silicon Valley parlance, "legacy" means "We make noises about supporting it but unless you have Satya Nadella or Tim Cook on speed dial the truth is we could care less and you're gonna have a very hard time making it work reliably". Many of us still doing VHS capture or film scanning are using old gear that relies on old OS and old motherboard specs: easiest solution is to use the same-era old PC/Mac that was designed to run this old stuff in the first place. Way way less stressful than trying to cajole baseline incompatible new Win 10 or Mac OSX Mojave systems do something they weren't really intended to support. Comb thru the thousands of capture threads here on VH, and you'll find maybe a half dozen members (if even that) who claim easy-peasy success with the newest PCs and OS iterations. Those people are extremely lucky or extremely gifted savants with integration skills: the rest of us find using dedicated older PC/OS much more reliable and simpler to set up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My apologies Alwyn for the confusion. I'm looking for both video and audio solutions (as my old device did). I was reporting on what I have seen to date (and none being satisfactory).

Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I checked out Vidbox (who acquired the rights to Honestech) and they provide a video solution and an audio solution, but not both. Elgato provides a video only solution.
    I'm not with you. Do you want a capture solution for audio only?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your previous capture device (Honestech) just captured audio (as well as Video+audio which is the standard for a video capture device) it was a feature of the supplied software rather than the actual device.

In fact my Hauppauge USB-Live2 can record audio not by the supplied software but by third-party tools such as Audacity.

I do not know about Win10 but my Win7 system can record audio via this device using the basic Audio Recording program supplied.

And audio recording should not even get close to a video capture device. You will have (or should have) some soundcard in-built in to your motherboard. Connect the cables direct to the appropriate connectors, ensuring that your audio record settings point to the audio controller, and use the third-party tools.
    Quote Quote