VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought an AOC 27" 1440p 144hz monitor (Q27G2U) connected on display port and use it in a dual monitor setup with an older 1080p 60hz monitor.

When potplayer is in full screen on the new monitor the video becomes a bit laggy, meaning a frame will freeze for a second or so and then resume. Resizing the playlist window is also extremely choppy and slow. The same thing with showing the progress bar when the video is playing. It's as if potplayer hates being in full screen on the new monitor. Once I drag the window to the 1080p monitor everything works smoothly.

I tried VLC and I didn't have any problems with it.

Gpu is AMD rx570

Tried reinstalling AMD drivers and potplayer but the problem persists.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know how potplayer deals with high frequencies... but my suggestion is: stop using that crap (potplayer)

I used that video player too, for many years.. until a couple of years ago... when it got so obvious it wasn't "free" nor "good" anymore.

The best video player available under every existing platform.. is MPV, now.

It can use EVERY resource you have in your system.. at its best...
    It's not a player so easy to switch to (there are a lot of things to learn about it .. and you have to manually adjust a LOT of stuff, before really dig into it) .. but once you learned the basics...

It's amazing. Simply amazing.
    MPV forever.

It's ways far anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've been using potplayer for so long it'd be really hard letting it go. I'm using so many shortcuts all the time and I know where everything is I don't wanna just give up on it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hemstock View Post
    I've been using potplayer for so long it'd be really hard letting it go. I'm using so many shortcuts all the time and I know where everything is I don't wanna just give up on it.
    I know the feeling. I used Potplayer for many years too. I loved it. It was painful for me too.. to change.

The bad about MPV is that is very different.. and there's a lot to learn about it before proficiently using it.

But then... it's REALLY amazing!

It's stable, it's fast (it can use EVERYTHING you have in your configuration) .. and it does EXACTLY what YOU want it to do.

You can set up EVERY shortcut you want as you like.
    You can assign EVERY function of the player to any key you like.

You can even program and add new functions to it (through LUA scripts).

I know it's difficult to do some radical changes like to switch to a new software from another one you know well after many many years you're using it.. but in this case.. it's TOTALLY worth the effort.

MPV is an EXCELLENT media player (under every aspect.. performances first!) created to suit to EVERYONE's needs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Found one thing that works. Options -> General -> Skin Advanced -> Enable OpenGL Mode.

No idea why this works although it auto hides the main window skin at all times which is annoying in windowed mode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Finally found what was causing it and it's a GPU driver issue.
    Reverted AMD drivers from 21.4.1 back to 21.3.1 and everything works like a charm.
    Hopefully newer Potplayer or driver updates fix things.
    Quote Quote