VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a UK DVD of a US show and want to convert it back to NTSC or better still it's original film source, and also have the audio run at normal speed as PAL runs 4% faster. I can't quite get my head round all the settings in AviSynth still.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    I have a UK DVD of a US show and want to convert it back to NTSC or better still it's original film source, and also have the audio run at normal speed as PAL runs 4% faster. I can't quite get my head round all the settings in AviSynth still.
    Provide a sample showing some steady movement
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    Provide a sample showing some steady movement
    Here's a scene with some panning shots where the characters walk across the screen.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a topic I contributed to a while ago that discusses the relevant issues. Plus avisynth code to use.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/396064-DePALifying-TV-Episodes

Read it all since even if converted from an NTSC source there may NOT be any speed-up. You, at the very least, need to confirm that from sources than mention the run-times of episodes.

And I played that sample twice. My own opinion, discussed at length in that topic, has not changed. Even if there is speed-up I can not detect it with my ears.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's standard film to PAL converted by field blending:

Yadif(Mode=1)#or your favorite bobber
    Srestore()

It's not speeded up so nothing has to be done with the audio.

Oh, the next time you provide a sample, please get it directly from the DVD using DGIndex to demux the M2V. We don't need the audio or the subs, and repacking it as an MKV makes extra work for those willing to help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It's standard film to PAL converted by field blending:

Yadif(Mode=1)#or your favorite bobber
    Srestore()

It's not speeded up so nothing has to be done with the audio.

Oh, the next time you provide a sample, please get it directly from the DVD using DGIndex to demux the M2V. We don't need the audio or the subs, and repacking it as an MKV makes extra work for those willing to help.
    I just assumed the audio was sped up but good to hear it wasn't. Why can't all PAL releases of NTSC shows be that way?

Thanks for that. I usually use QTGMC and results look good. Just have the small issue where the opening titles where done on video by the looks of it as they're noticeably more juddery after applying the script.

And will do, i did use M2V for DVD's before but sometimes the audio goes a little out of sync by about 50-60ms in some cases, whereas MKV keeps it all together.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Here is a topic I contributed to a while ago that discusses the relevant issues. Plus avisynth code to use.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/396064-DePALifying-TV-Episodes

Read it all since even if converted from an NTSC source there may NOT be any speed-up. You, at the very least, need to confirm that from sources than mention the run-times of episodes.

And I played that sample twice. My own opinion, discussed at length in that topic, has not changed. Even if there is speed-up I can not detect it with my ears.
    Thanks, had a good read through. It's been quite a learning curve in regards to PAL conversions not always having speed-up! I do recall the German release of Malcolm in the Middle having some sort of pitch correction applied so none of the characters would sound like chipmunks like they do when it's on tv over here.
    Quote Quote