VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 24
FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Your choice of which package to install was probably not the right one.
    The joint installation of these two versions has no influence on your computer and may be necessary.
    As a priority, the pack corresponding to his computer must be installed (x64 for 64-bit computer), but a program may perfectly need the x86 version to operate, even on a 64-bit computer.
    In addition, these packs "work" only at the request of the software that needs them.
    So there is no risk that this will cause malfunctions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi Gelinox,
    I have had the exact same issue when installing on my Win7 64Bit machine, I installed the X64 C++ but same installation error,
    The i tried the X86 C++ pack and it installed okay.

Is it possible to implement a feature to disable or engage the internal deinterlacing?
    I know before you mentioned Film9 looks at the media info
    to choose whether to apply deinterlacing?
    Film sources are usually flagged interlaced and Film9 might wrongly deinterlace a film source thats
    only flagged and encoded " interlaced" but is actually progressive etc.
    This would degrade the quality deinterlacing a progressive file.
    BTW I use Pal sources.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  3. Will not install on Server 2019 -- tells me I need newer Windows? :]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi restore-chappy,
    Thank you for the info. It is possible to deactivate the automatic detection of interlaced films. Why not.

ZM76,
    Server versions are not supported.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    Hi restore-chappy,
    Thank you for the info. It is possible to deactivate the automatic detection of interlaced films. Why not.
    Interlaced films??? I don't know FILM9, but I can assure you that film can never be interlaced, and therefore a capture machine needs no such setting. I own two capture systems (8mm/Super 8 and 16mm) and have captured hundreds of films, so I have a pretty good idea of how they work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes it did exist. The first cameras that equipped pro scanners were interlaced.
    I agree that this is no longer relevant at all, but some people still have these recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    Yes it did exist. The first cameras that equipped pro scanners were interlaced.
    I agree that this is no longer relevant at all, but some people still have these recordings.
    I still use an interlaced camera to capture film, but the result isn't interlaced because, when you scan a static object (i.e., a film frame that is not moving during the scanning operation), even if the camera takes alternate scan lines at different moments in time, since there is no movement, there is no temporal difference between the fields. As a result, the image is progressive and can be re-sized and treated in all other respects as a progressive video.

Therefore, the interlaced setting was probably never needed in the first place, even when you had interlaced cameras taking the image.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 25th Jul 2020 at 13:40.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Scanners weren't always digital like your camera (interlaced really?)
    The earliest MWA scanners had analog outputs and the scan was intended to be viewed on a CRT television.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It doesn't matter what equipment is used. The basic fact is that progressive video is nothing more than interlaced video where there is no temporal difference between fields. If you mount an interlaced camera on a tripod and take video of a scene where nothing is moving, the result will be 100.000% identical to that same scene taken with a progressive camera. Thus, no special handing is required when an interlaced video or camera device is used to capture a non-moving image.

Of course in the usual case when using interlaced video, where there are temporal differences between odd and even fields, your software does have to be changed considerably to handle those temporal differences correctly (e.g., you cannot simply re-size interlaced video without first deinterlacing).
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 25th Jul 2020 at 17:52. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
  10. Maybe i confused matters by mentioning film sources,

I was referring to film sources on a retail DVD and the extracted video file flagged "interlaced"
    Film9 will see this video file as video with fields and apply deinterlacing etc.
    But the video file is only encoded " interlaced" but the content is progressive with frames.

Part of the confusion is Film9 not only handles captured film sources but home video from camcorders/VHS/
    and the name of this software " Film9" infers it only works with film.
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK, when dealing with DVD that contains 24 fps film with the flag set so the player will add the pulldown fields when playing on an old CRT 29.97 interlaced display, you do need to take that into account.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I fully understood your example of a fixed camera that you explain for the second time.
    We are now talking about the material that produced recordings in interlaced and not in progressive and not of a working principle.

I can talk about my experience in this field or I digitize films for a foundation. This foundation has been around for more than 13 years or so and has scans made at that time. The medium is either DVDs or cassettes. The files provided are interlaced. I also know the service provider who carried out these transfers at the time as well as the equipment he used.

On the other hand, you will find below an excerpt translated into English concerning this type of scanner:
    "It renders good quality images but is now outdated due to the low resolution of its tri CCD camera which limits digitization to SD resolution. The acquisition mode is interlaced AVI DV (720x576 pixels) directly by a FireWire output "

You will find the original text in French here, but I imagine that the Google translation also works in the other direction:
    Flashscan8

You will also find other sources which confirm this on the internet, but I do not consider it useful to transmit them to you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hello @Gelinox, thank you so much for your awesome software. I am currently restoring Super-8 videos with it. I will donate some money once I am done.
    I have a problem and some feedback:

* Problem: On EVERY start of Film9, the software tells me to install AviSynth, which is installed already. On every start I do install it - next start it says again that AviSynth is not installed. It doesn't really seem to have an effect since I think everything works fine - but still this is awkward. Do you have an idea?
    * Feedback: I would have expected a message telling me that all my presets would be deleted by version 3.1. I saw it now on the forums here, but I'd expect it with the installer. Sad to have my finely adjusted presets deleted. (Where are they being saved? I might be able to grab some from a backup)

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi Ascender,

I don't think installing Avisynth is the cause of your problem. But no more missing DLL.
    Could you give me a screenshot of the "Microsoft Visual ++ ...." packs present on your computer. You will find this list on
    "Application and Features" (I don't know the exact name in English. This is the list that allows you to uninstall an application.

For the second point, I can only be sorry that you lost these settings. We have mentioned on this site that this update will erase saved presets. But we also mentioned it at the beginning of the "general conditions" in the installer.
    This installer does not give us complete satisfaction and we did not have the means to display a message otherwise which would have been more readable.
    Unfortunately, no way to recover this lost info.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    Hi Ascender,

I don't think installing Avisynth is the cause of your problem. But no more missing DLL.
    Could you give me a screenshot of the "Microsoft Visual ++ ...." packs present on your computer. You will find this list on
    "Application and Features" (I don't know the exact name in English. This is the list that allows you to uninstall an application.
    Here's the list, in German though:

[Attachment 54262 - Click to enlarge]

Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    For the second point, I can only be sorry that you lost these settings. We have mentioned on this site that this update will erase saved presets. But we also mentioned it at the beginning of the "general conditions" in the installer.
    This installer does not give us complete satisfaction and we did not have the means to display a message otherwise which would have been more readable.
    Unfortunately, no way to recover this lost info.
    No worries, don't be sorry. You're providing such a great tool. Unfortunately I found out about this forum AFTER upgrading.
    But still, I'd like to know where exactly the presets are being saved. Registry? Or just some folder? I could look into my file or system backups to restore the old version.
    Last edited by Ascendor; 26th Jul 2020 at 14:34.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Well, the Visual C ++ toolkit is really complete.

Two points to check:

- The file "C: \ Program Files (x86) \ AviSynth \ Uninstall.exe"
    OR is the file "C: \ Program Files (x86) \ AviSynth 2.5 \ Uninstall.exe" present on your computer?

The following 5 DLL's must be present in the directory
    "C: \ Windows \ System32 \".
    - msvcp71.dll
    - msvcr71.dll
    - msvcr110.DLL
    - msvcp110.DLL
    - msvcp140.DLL

Maybe this point before trying to find the data.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    - The file "C: \ Program Files (x86) \ AviSynth \ Uninstall.exe"
    OR is the file "C: \ Program Files (x86) \ AviSynth 2.5 \ Uninstall.exe" present on your computer?
    My AviSynth is installed in D:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth, and there is an Uninstall.exe file. I do not have a folder Avisynth 2.5.

Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    The following 5 DLL's must be present in the directory
    "C: \ Windows \ System32 \".
    - msvcp71.dll
    - msvcr71.dll
    - msvcr110.DLL
    - msvcp110.DLL
    - msvcp140.DLL
    I seem to be missing msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll from C:\Windows\system32. Where to get those?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I am trying to pass a file with DLL's through this forum.
    Just copy the missing Dlls to the "C or D: \ Windows \ System32 \ "

For your lost presets, contact me by MP.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  19. Unfortunately, copying the missing DLLs has not helped. I still get the error message about missing AviSynth installation. (Note I have not overwritten the existing DLLs, only copied the missing ones instead)
    Quote Quote  
  20. If the above conditions are met, there is no reason why it should not work.
    - Your system disk on which Windows is installed is D: ?
    - How did you install Avysinth?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    If the above conditions are met, there is no reason why it should not work.
    - Your system disk on which Windows is installed is D: ?
    - How did you install Avysinth?
    • Windows is installed on drive C:
    • Film9 is installed on drive D:
    • AviSynth is installed on drive D:

AviSynth has been installed several times in several different variations:
    • via the button in Film9
    • via direct download
    • default installation
    • full installation
    Quote Quote  
  22. Ok ... your system is on C and not on D.
    Uninstall Avisynth and Open Film9.
    Install Avisynth from the "Preferences" window and do not change the default options on Avisynth.
    In the end Avisynth must be installed on the system disk (C) in the Program (x86) directory.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Wow. That was it. Thanks a lot for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  24. One more topical question now:
    I noticed that when enabling Auto White feature, then Degrain is much much less effective. To get to the same degraining effect as with Auto White off and Degrain set to 10, I had to pump Degrain up to 100. And even then it didn't degrain as well in all situations. Is that expected behaviour?
    Quote Quote  
  25. I used to observe degraining issues too (in my case never the "not enough" problem though) and attributed it to the Autowhite function. I resorted to a "pregrading" before feeding the film into film9: In Virtualdub2 using the "gradation curves" filter I carefully tried to remove any tint from the film (usually I observed the tint in the shadows - like it the shadows were not naturally dark but kind of e.g. blueish). I let this plugin process the whole film and saved in Huffyuv or Lagarith. This film I fed into film9. I still had the Autowhite function enabled but I think it had to work less with preliminary work already done. I got nice degraining results with this - as a matter of facts I most of the time had to lower the settings to preserve enough natural grain...
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Hi!

Im new to Film9, I cant get it to work... I have installed everything, but when I start it says that I dont have Avisynth installed, but I have done that a couple of times? What do I wrong? I have Windows 10.

Regards // Henrik, Sweden
    Quote Quote  
  27. Hy Henrik,

It is important to install the Avisynth version offered by Film9.
    By following the installation procedure, Avisynth installs without problem.
    There is a solution to catch this:
    Open the "Preferences" window and click on the Avisynth button.
    Film9 asks for your permission to install Avisynth again.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Gelinox!

I have tried that a couple of times... doesnt work... I did try to install Avisynth before I installed Film9, can that be the trouble? Can I manually install "Film9 version" of Avisynth?

Thanks for you answer!

Regards // Henrik
    Quote Quote  
  29. By accepting the Film9 installation settings by default, it works.
    Even if you have previously installed Avisynth.

Also, if you did click the Avisynth button in the "Preference" window, I don't see how it could not have worked.
    Try this:

- Uninstall Avisynth
    - Repeat the procedure described above (preferences ...)
    - Check the presence of the following DLLs in the directory "C:/ Windows / SysWoW64/..."

msvcp71.dll
    msvcr71.dll
    msvcr110.dll
    msvcp110.dll
    msvcp140.dll
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks, that was the trick!

The real mystery was that when I chosed to install Avisyth inside the program it never became a "green cross" afterwards... Very strange!

Well thats history now! Thanks agains!

Henrik
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!