VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have seen a few threads regarding the subject of anime restoration. After comparing different degrain/denoise filters (QTGMC with EZDenoise and TemporalDegrain) I have settled to use MCTemporalDenoise. On medium settings the result is pretty much perfect for my needs, except for a couple patches of blocky colors in very dark scenes. As far as I can tell the issue is that in such scenes the noise has an non-uniform color. MCTD has a lot of parameters and I'm not sure where to start. I also imagine others before me have already spent a lot of time with such questions, so I'm welcoming any suggestion of filter chain that you've had success with in the past.

Of course some of this behavior can be attributed to compression. But I'm hoping there is a way to fine tune MCTD or use another filter to help create a better color average for those scenes. I'm attaching a screenshot for illustration as well as a sample from the m2ts.

[Attachment 54045 - Click to enlarge]

https://mega.nz/file/2pZkRSzY#ClFAFiDMffoir6SZyrX2nkVv54p6qo-ZSI-aN9UB7WQ
    Quote Quote  
  2. For anyone faced with a similar issue, you want to use enhance=true so a little bit of grain gets added on static, flat, dark areas.

However I now have a different kind of problem. It seems all the good denoisers are temporal by design, and as such they complete ignore a coupe frames like this one. This is a gunshot/muzzle flash effect that only lasts one frame. I more than welcome any input on how to denoise/degrain those, I cannot yet find an appropriate setting of MCTemporalDenoise here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown.png
Views:	96
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	54159
    Quote Quote