VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Last edited by Betelman; 18th Jun 2020 at 17:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    it's from an era where people actually broke things like this down in ways all can understand. Enjoy
    It's also from an era when so many visitors to forums were not entitled a$$holes.
    I was here in 2003.

And I dig your new Gargamel avatar image.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 19th Jun 2020 at 17:23.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. You're on point with the entitled a$$holes comment. Although I only half understand being that I'm just a plain old a$$hole but not entitled.

And I dig your new Gargamel avatar image.
    Oh you know, someone I know around here inspired that.

So Smurfy, I understand you like Masters of the Universe figures.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Betelman - avisynth, which is frame serving utility, also all intermediate avi's, which falls into same category also vapoursyntrh previewers - do not keep aspect ratio. Avi's do not even carry aspect ratio flag. Except DVavi but that is not intermediate vfw avi. Avisynth has no flags about aspect ratio, vapoursynth the same. It is a consensus, you can look at it as you want, that you do not deal with aspect ratio as long you keep it anamorphic all the way and not changing it to square pixel the hard way by resizing.

If you are dealing with any anamorphic video (DVD, DV avi, HDV) you take notice. While previewing those avi's, frame server avi,s, intermediate avi's, aspect ratio is gone and you have width/height ratios on screen, not display aspect ratio.

That aspect ratio is lost, but you know about it. So you introduce it again while encoding your video, telling encoder it is still anamorphic video and it will be previewed as such later on after encoding. When people post images and compare filters etc., no one posts anamorphic video with true display aspect ratio.

Now please, stop being an ass.
    Quote Quote  
  5. AI, yes - I've been reading the documentation and I get the gist of what you'r saying. Basically, Avisynth just reads pixels, not aspect ratio. It is not until those pixels are encoded that you deal with that. But if 720x480 is the STORAGE aspect ratio, but the DISPLAY aspect ratio is 640X480, then my question would be: am I not doing any damage by doing the resize in Avisynth prior to encoding? It seems to be something people here suggest all the time, and it had been suggested to me. Now I'm not one to just plaster a command line on my script just because someone tells me to do so, but I did notice that in resizing to it's proper DAR, my filtration works better because it has less pixels to work with. Does that make any sense? At the very least, it sure LOOKS much more fantastic on my HD TV when I do it this way, than when I do not.

Smurfy, chime in buddy I'm being a good boy now. I might just change my avatar to Mr. Rogers if I keep this good behavior up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would resize at the end of script, not compromising video right at the beginning, if you decide to deliver square pixel video.
    Why would filters work better as oppose not resizing? I have no idea, unless resize itself suddenly works as a filter, ironing something out.

It is your executive decision - make your video as square pixel and resize or not at all.

People suggest to resize because there is no aspect ratio errors later, they do the same with interlacing, getting rid of it. Make it web friendly, YouTube download friendly, getting rid of borders (so it looks pretty for them).

Not sure if someone mentioned already, your DVD aspect ratio is actually within 704x480. Give away is those black borders left and right.

So IF you make your footage a square pixel with resizing:
    1) crop left and right together 16 pixel to get 704x480, footage does not have to be centered, so you might take more from one side
    2) filter
    3) resize to any 4:3 or 16:9
    4) crop more to touch up - optional, crop some more black if you insist to get rid of some black lines around image, personally I would not even bother

Step 4) is THE cause you have a million scripts and a million of different crops with different sequence in a script
    Quote Quote  
  7. People suggest to resize because there is no aspect ratio errors later
    Correct. I've gathered that, because Avisynth does it properly, people trust it more and just let the encoder keep the aspect ratio.

your DVD aspect ratio is actually within 704x480. Give away is those black borders left and right.
    This is true. BUT, after I crop, isn't the general rule to add new borders the same size that I cropped out to keep the aspect ratio as it was and prevent errors (even if I'm resizing)?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Why would filters work better as oppose not resizing? I have no idea, unless resize itself suddenly works as a filter, ironing something out.
    Actually, it helps with sharpening before I apply filtration which helps preserve more detail. So I'd like to do it before filtration. I know people tend to sharpen AFTER the degraining but in my case, I see that sharpening before helps preserve more lines as opposed to the other way around.
    Quote Quote  
  9. One can say, Avisynth does not do aspect ratio properly or not, because it just does not do it. It just takes pixels and works on them. Width x Height.

If there is intention to mask parts of video, then Crop() with following AddBorders() would just clear that area (mostly to black). Like masking bottom lines during VHS capture and keeping it still proper anamorphic.

As soon you you resize to square pixels or video actually is square pixel (not anamorphic) , then Crop() would not change aspect ratio, you are just cutting off chunks of video. You do not have to AddBorders()
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    So Smurfy, I understand you like Masters of the Universe figures.
    Mostly some Mattel MOTUC, the Super7 MOTUC is mostly awful,
    Not so much MOTU vintage.
    Super7 Filmation vintage-style was nice.
    The new origins line is nice, I was able to snag He-Man and Skeletor from the Walmart pre-order.
    Also digging the Masters of WWE line.
    Not a completist, not a figure hoarder, just some neat figures for fun and display.
    Sales/clearance priced is nicest.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote