VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey, this is my first post here, so please tell me if i'm doing something wrong.
    I will be involved in a project with concert recordings done by the TRT, and there's this extreme jitter all over it.
    A VHS recording can be found here: https://youtu.be/R4FZY1TRM_o?t=269
    Some parts are better, this song is the worst. I will be getting a copy of the original master from the turkish TV to restore it but i'm pretty sure they have that problem too. Does anyone here have an idea how i could fix this issue? I'll probably have to do it frame by frame but i don't even know how one would do that in photoshop. I know it will never look perfect and i have another low quality source that i can use to cover some of this but it would be nice to be able to correct some of it to a watchable status.
    Don't tell me i need to use a TBC or any other hardware as i'm not the person that will be doing the transfer, i'll just have to work with what i get.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It looks like the original capture had some sort sync issues. Those might have been avoided by using a VCR with a time base corrector (TBC). However, it then looks like that bad capture was re-sized without first deinterlacing, giving you those horrible horizontal "teeth." Having said that, the parts of the capture that don't have the teeth actually look OK, so my diagnosis may not be correct.

Whatever the cause, I don't have much hope that you can improve this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    It's not a deinterlacing issue, it was deinterlaced correctly before uploading to youtube. You can also see that they aren't combined lines that are moved back and forth horizontally. They are like waves. I have uploaded a picture where you can see it better, than on the heavily compressed youtube upload. I really don't know what caused this to happen. I thought there might be a way to correct this in photoshop. I found the "Shear" filter which basically does exactly what i want but the window is way too small. I would have to do this in fullscreen. I hope you can understand what i mean, i want to vertically move the lines back and forth along a path. Does anybody know if and how i could do that? If you know a different program that's able to do that feel free to suggest that to me.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-06-19-12h52m22s267.png
Views:	59
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	53990  

Quote Quote  
  4. Wavy artifacts like that can be created by improper resizing of interlaced video. But that's not the problem here. My guess is some strong vibrations in the camcorder resulted in time base errors. I would try using an s-vhs deck with a line TBC. Or a Panasonic ES10 or ES15 DVD recorder's line TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    As i said, i have no influence in the digitization. I also think that the Turkish TV is at least using semi-professional equipment for this. I need to correct this digitally, or just leave it how it is (and maybe cut some of the worst scenes out).
    Quote Quote  
  6. I did not say that it was a deinterlacing issue, but instead looks almost identical to what happens when you re-size interlaced video without first deinterlacing. You can see some examples of what badly-resized video looks like in this in the thread where I came up with a solution to fix the problem:

Repair bad deinterlacing

Perhaps some of the things I did to fix that problem can help you here. The artifacts in your video look very similar and therefore my ideas should work on your video as well.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 29th Jun 2020 at 12:05. Reason: fix link
    Quote Quote  
  7. Because the artifact in your video comes and goes, and the "strength" of the artifact changes with each frame, you may need to develop some sort of way to detect the amount of artifact so that the correction can be increased or decreased. You therefore might find some help with some of the technology I used to remove a moving noise bar from an old Kinescope. You can read about it here:

Bad 1950s Kinescope - Hopeless?

And you can see the results here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx26T6WOZ_4
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks, i'll try those out this evening, but i'm not extremely experienced with AviSynth and i think the only way to really do this would be to manually correct every single frame in an image editor. Does anyone have an idea how i would do that? I know doing the whole thing frame by frame will be painful but i think it's the only way to really correct this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you spent every day for the next ten years, I don't think you could fix it by correcting it manually, frame-by-frame.

Since it looks like repairing it will require shifting each scan line horizontally by a different amount, and since this is somewhat similar to what a time base corrector does, you could Google "software time base corrector" and look at some of the work that was attempted (unfortunately, never completed) to correct time base errors in software. All attempts that I've seen require that you be able to see slightly beyond the left or right edge of the frame. The edge should normally be perfectly vertical, but when the time base for each line is wrong, that line will shift over into the area that should be black. You use that information to determine how far to shift that line, and then proceed to the next line.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 29th Jun 2020 at 13:23.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Felix203 View Post
    I will be getting a copy of the original master from the turkish TV to restore it but i'm pretty sure they have that problem too.
    What format are you getting? If it's 2", 1" or 3/4" which would be the most common formats for 1978, your issue is going to be hardware. But you should be able to get clean playback.

Originally Posted by Felix203 View Post
    Don't tell me i need to use a TBC or any other hardware as i'm not the person that will be doing the transfer, i'll just have to work with what i get.
    Problem is, hardware is how you fix this. You need the electronic information outside the visible part of the frame, which any of the formats mentioned above will contain.
    Last edited by smrpix; 29th Jun 2020 at 13:28.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I'll be getting a digital copy of the original master. I'm also pretty sure that the turkish TV uses time base correctors.
    Quote Quote  
  12. In that case you're largely dependent on them doing it right. Best of luck.
    Quote Quote