VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Odd. Another good, simple and "portable" DV capture program is WinDV.

Try downloading and running that. If that works, you can capture/transfer your DV as per my guide:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nAVLwAFDY6SCPWUQJ02zUCWVOKAZk-x-/view?usp=sharing

Scenalyzer does still work though. Maybe try again with the registering?
    I tried the link in Firefox; it gives a warning but still allows you to download
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None of my capture programs recognize my Firewire onboard port, thatīs why I switched to my (old?) PCI capture card.
    And yes, the driver is from 2013, done with the method described in the article.

I know, this subject of a not working Firewire port must be done somewhere else.
    But it lookes like my problem with my previous Asus P5B mobo.
    At this board all my USB ports does not function anymore after a test of a (corrupt) ATX power supply of a neighbour.
    Windows recognize the chipset, the 5V line is available, but the data lines not.

I have downloaded ScenalyzerLive again.
    In the license.txt is the key, but I don't understand the lines.
    Is every line another key or are all lines one key because of the comment ***begin of key ......end of key***

I did a install try again.
    Choose for the portable version.
    Copy the complete key (begin to end).
    And now the Paste succeeded.

I started the capture using the tab Tape -> Rewind & Capture.
    The result of the sample is a couple of AVI files, each 11 - 24 sec long, with AVI Type 2 , SAR = 5:4 , PAR = 10:7 , DAR = 16:9.
    And playing a file, I now hear the audio!
    These SAR, PAR, DAR are the same as in by Stoik sample.
    The only difference is the AVI Type, 2 vs 1.

Final question, how can I run ScenalyzerLive creating one AVI file?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You must be doing something right because Scenalyzer won't capture from anything but a Firewire connection.

For one single file, File>Options>Capture Settings tab>Scene Detection mode>No Scene detection.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For one single file, File>Options>Capture Settings tab>Scene Detection mode>No Scene detection.
    Also:
    File>Options>Capture Settings tab>Max File Size to Unlimited (NTFS only).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my portable version, I see : File -> Options -> Capture Settings -> Scene Detection mode -> Start a new file if audio parameters or 16:9 flag changes.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ScenalyzerLive - Options.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	63439  

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Two lines above: click the dropdown next to "datestamp"

[Attachment 63440 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aha, shame on me!
    Yes, it lookes now, I got one file.
    In the map I see the file with the name I give, growing in bytes and a space.tmp file.
    Now I have to wait one hour for the total capture.

And then still 14 mini DV tapes to do, 2 days ago delivered by my son.

But after capturing this tape, I will do first the next steps:
    - de-interlacing with ????
    - editing the de-interlaced file
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    - de-interlacing with ????
    I'll now run away into the corner. I know how I do it and it doesn't involve anything that's talked-about here!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still got more files, now 1x 7m18s and 5x 9m22s
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still got more files, now 1x 7m18s and 5x 9m22s
    That could be the 2gb limit. DV is 220mb/minute.

Make sure the Max File Size is set to "Unlimited (for NTFS only)" (on the Capture Settings tab).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Again, Aha, total size of the 6 files : 11,5Gb !!
    Not realised this kind of size, good to know with still 14 tapes to go.

Another option is file-type:
    - Type 2 (default, for Premiere, Vegas, etc)
    - Type 1 (Mediastudio)

At this site https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/directshow/type-1-vs--type-2-dv-avi-files
    I read:
    For video capture, where maximum throughput is crucial, it is better to use a type-1 file, because type-2 files carry redundant audio data.
    The video stream still has the audio data.
    The audio is simply hidden by labeling the stream as video.
    Also, writing a type-2 file requires some additional processor time to split the interleaved stream.
    On the other hand, type-1 files are less efficient for real-time editing.
    The application must extract the audio from the interleaved stream, make the edits, and interleave the data again.

So I think, just because of the editing later, that Type 2 is the best choice.

I do the capture again, enough time as pensioner.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, capture as Type 2. Scott made a post about type 1 and 2 back on page 1. You won't have any trouble editing Type 2 these days.

DV-AVI is 13gb/hour.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Do not deinterlace. You only need to deinterlace if you are resizing, and you should not need to do that.

Also, the Scenalyzer screen shot I posted earlier in this thread shows you all the proper settings. Just download the image, magnify it, change all the settings in your Scenalyzer to match, and everything will work just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But I have to do some enhancing (noise, brightness, etc), editing (removing bad or long scenes, transitions between scenes, music, titles, etc).
    In the past Pinnacle, now AVS to do this.

Meanwhile already 3 files captured, 12,5 Gb, 13,6 Gb and 13,8 Gb
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by robw1947 View Post
    Meanwhile already 3 files captured, 12,5 Gb, 13,6 Gb and 13,8 Gb
    If those are each about one hour long, then that is the correct size because, as Alwyn said, DV video is approximately 13 GB/hour and is the same size, regardless of the video content, unlike more modern video encoding which varies the size according to the complexity of the video.

Originally Posted by robw1947 View Post
    But I have to do some enhancing (noise, brightness, etc), editing (removing bad or long scenes, transitions between scenes, music, titles, etc). In the past Pinnacle, now AVS to do this.
    You should be able to use your same tools to edit these DV files. I got my start doing these things almost a quarter century ago, capturing DV video; editing it in Pinnacle Studio; and then making DVDs. I now use much better software and only deal with DV when capturing old tapes for other people, although I still encode a lot of consumer video using the DV codec, even though for NTSC video the color does take a hit. The reason I do this, even though I now have a broadcast quality capture rig, is that there is nothing easier and more bulletproof than what you are now doing: capturing DV, fixing it up a bit, and then burning DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After I had done a complete capture, I saw that Scenalyzer puts the timestamp in the filename.
    I am capturing tapes of my son visiting his study friend in the USA in 2002.
    At the first tape are more days recorded.
    So I modify the scene detection mode back in Datestamp.
    Because of this name, Datestamp, I had had expected scenes per day, but now I have scenes per timestamp.
    For instance, my son has recorded his meal in the plane, 16 sec and 5 sec.
    So stopped for a moment.
    I can't modify the other option (parameter) min. time between 2 scenes.
    This is 1 sec.
    It would be nice when this option was also changeble.

All with all, I am very glad with this program.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't modify the other option (parameter) min. time between 2 scenes.
    This is 1 sec.

It would be nice when this option was also changeble.
    It is, it just doesn't look like it because the numbers appear to be "greyed out". Click on the hours or minutes and they'll go from grey to black, then you can type in your desired time.

I actually leave it on 1 second because I like each scene as a separate file; you will probably be splitting them anyway at the scene changes when editing.

But wait, there's more!

You can split up the clips you've already captured. In Scenalyzer, find the clip you want to split then right-click on it and go Clips>Detect scenes in selected clips.

You're bringing back happy memories of using Scenealyzer with DV, being able to instantly scan through files, splitting exactly was a breeze, chop them up losslessly with no fuss, edit like lighting with a lowly Pentium... great times.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have now allready captured 3 tapes again and the gaps between 2 scenes are > 1 sec, so the example of the meal was an exception.

I have a small calculation problem.
    My son has forgotten to modify the time when he arrived in the USA (from Amsterdam).
    So all his timestamps are 7 hours too far.
    So a timestamp of 05052002 01:35 -> 04052002 18:35.
    In the subtitle I must write 4 Mei and not 5 Mei (Mei -> May)

But I am with retirement, so all the time.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I selected the clip and I did right-click on it and go Clips>Detect scenes in selected clips.
    But how to create and save files of the detected clips?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But how to create and save files of the detected clips?
    Just right-click again, Clips>Commit changes. It will save your clips as separate files.

Re timestamps, that's a bummer. There is a way to change the timestamps themselves; Budman has made a program that might do it for you. It looks like it uses the file

I simply use a file renamer to change the filenames in batch. I sort all my videos and images only by name, not file timestamps. I'm using Renamer. You'd have to do it in two batches: the first group moving before midnight then the second group, the ones that don't change the day.
    Quote Quote