VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think I'm using the right search terms, as I can't find a place to purchase those closed-cell foam rings that come on DVD spindles when you buy blank DVD-Rs.

I need a lot of them (dozens at least, possibly hundreds). If anyone can direct me to a place to purchase them or suggest some new terms for me to try, I'd appreciate it.

I've tried "spindle rings", "DVD spindle rings", "foam spindle rings", "foam hubs", and "spindle hubs".

Thanks for any help folks.
    My gear:

- JVC HR-S9911U SVHS VCR
    - Datavideo TBC-1000
    - JVC DR-M10 DVD writer
    - Sony Steadyshot DCR-TRV340 NTSC Digital8 Camcorder
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, those won't work. I need the kind that are like a doughnut, with the hole in the center for the spindle to go through.

The foam dots and adhesive-hubs are all I keep finding, and neither of those will work.

I need the foam spindle rings for exactly that purpose, to keep the DVDs in a spindle from shifting back and forth if the cake box is not sitting on a level, horizontal surface (such as if it were being shipped or when stored in the "approved" disc-vertical position).

Thanks for trying though - anyone else?
    My gear:

- JVC HR-S9911U SVHS VCR
    - Datavideo TBC-1000
    - JVC DR-M10 DVD writer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    though easy to make yourself ...... any duplication service company that also does dvd-r duplication would have 1000's of these laying around
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to WalMart or any other toy store and you kind find these little disk shooting guns. Those disk are almost the exact some size. The ID is the same size, and the OD is probably 1/8" larger. I found this out wen my kids got those guns for Christmas and I got a dvd recorder at the same time. You can probably buy a bag of 300 of those things for about $5. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Foam-Shooter-Sound-Light-effects/dp/B000GHC5PK/sr=1-1/qid=117246...UTF8&s=generic
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'll check the local Wally world and see what I can find.
    My gear:

- JVC HR-S9911U SVHS VCR
    - Datavideo TBC-1000
    - JVC DR-M10 DVD writer
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to fabricate your own foam washers by using foam pipe wrap with a 5/8 inch inner diameter into washers of the desired thickness. You might need a cutting guide, and a hack saw, or some other fine-toothed saw designed for cutting foam for good results. Check youtube for "how to cut foam". Look for whatever is best for the type of foam the pipe wrap is made of. You should be able to get hundreds of foam washers out of one pipe wrap tube. Here's a link to a site that sells pipe wrap.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/NOMACO-KFLEX-Pipe-Insulation-4NPV4

I'm assuming you're using the rings from spindles to go into dvd cases to keep the disc from unseating during shipping.

I'm also in the same boat.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  7. worst case you can always wrap a rubber band a few times around the spindle "spine" itself and that will do the same job as the foam ring. I have had to do that on several occasions when sending spindles through the mail
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Here's some more search terms. I tried a few, but got nowhere. I suspect the originators of this list had the same problem.

cd spacers
    1.5 cd spindle foam washer
    3 4 foam washers
    3 8 foam washers
    blank cd foam spindle
    cake box vs spindle
    cake spacer
    cake spacers
    cakebox foam spacers
    cd box foam ring
    cd box spacer
    cd cake box foam rings
    cd cake box spacers
    cd cakebox foam spacers
    cd cakebox spacers
    cd dvd foam disk spacers
    cd dvd foam washers
    cd foam rings
    cd foam spacer
    cd spacer ring
    cd spacer rings
    cd spacer washers
    cd spacers
    cd spindle empty spacers
    cd spindle foam
    cd spindle foam ring
    cd spindle foam rings
    cd spindle foam spacer
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just buy one of those foam poles you see the kids playing with at the pool ... the diameter is plenty to keep discs level ... just a sharp knife to cut and a 12mm leather hole punch (solid tube) is all thats needed
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for these great ideas. We're in the biz and I love those things - quite useful for many things - since we switched brands they no long came to us in the cake boxes - and our supply was cut off.

Everyone at the studio will be very impressed but I'll never tell.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote