VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This site says
    if you are downloading a lot of videos, you should change directories to the directory where you want to save the videos before you start downloading them
    .How do you do that. ? How do you do it for one video. It seems it must download into the folder the youtube-dl.exe is That is an ubuntu site. I have win 764 bit

I would like to be able to download into a separate folder i.e separate from where youtube-dl.exe is and then move them to where i want
    Quote Quote  
  2. This should work:

youtube-dl -f best -ci -o "YT Downloads\%(title)s.%(ext)s" [video url]

Use double% if you put it in a batch file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you always want the same folder you can also store that in a config file.
    https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/README.md#configuration
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by 1957classic View Post
    This should work:

youtube-dl -f best -ci -o "YT Downloads\%(title)s.%(ext)s" [video url]

Use double% if you put it in a batch file.
    Works thanks
    I do not understand Use double% if you put it in a batch file.

I made a bat file to open the command window at the youtube dl directory. How do i add ]youtube-dl -f best -ci -o "YT Downloads\%(title)s.%(ext)s" so to download i only have to paste in the url
    Last edited by David Banner; 8th Feb 2018 at 17:58.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    If you always want the same folder you can also store that in a config file.
    https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/README.md#configuration
    will check it out, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    I made a bat file to open the command window at the youtube dl directory. How do i add ]youtube-dl -f best -ci -o "YT Downloads\%(title)s.%(ext)s" so to download i only have to paste in the url
    Code:
    @echo off
    set /p url="Enter URL to download:"
    "c:\program files (x86)\youtube-dl\youtube-dl.exe" -o "C:\downloads\%%(title)s-%%(id)s.%%(ext)s" "%url%"
    (Change download path and youtube-dl.exe path as needed. Since you are using a bat file you don't need to use a config file to store the download path. Either way is fine.)

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/382524-How-to-get-started-with-youtube-dl-from-the...command-prompt
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Code:
    @echo off
    set /p url="Enter URL to download:"
    "c:\program files (x86)\youtube-dl\youtube-dl.exe" -o "C:\downloads\%%(title)s-%%(id)s.%%(ext)s" "%url%"
    (Change download path and youtube-dl.exe path as needed. Since you are using a bat file you don't need to use a config file to store the download path. Either way is fine.)
    That works but it does not download to the specific YT Downloads folder but the one youtube-dl.exe is in
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you change "C:\Downloads\" to the path you want them stored in? I'm not psychic so I used an example. You have to change the paths to your needs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Did you change "C:\Downloads\" to the path you want them stored in? I'm not psychic so I used an example. You have to change the paths to your needs.
    missed that sorry. i did change the path to youtube-dl.exe. thanks
    works great really convenient just paste url and it is in the folder i want
    Last edited by David Banner; 9th Feb 2018 at 07:21.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @ sneaker. is there any way to edit the bat file so it will create a folder in the downloads folder for each new download?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Youtube-dl will do that automatically if a folder doesn't exist yet. You can use the wild cards for folders just like you can for file names.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Youtube-dl will do that automatically if a folder doesn't exist yet. .
    Thanks. mine downloads into a download folder but i want it to create a sub folder because i may be downloading a playlist of several videos and want them altogether
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yeah, so?
    change e.g.
    -o "c:\downloads\file.ext"
    to
    o "c:\downlods\more\folders\whatever\you\want\file.e xt"

You can use the wildcards wherever you want.
    Quote Quote