VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So this has happened twice now and I am not sure what is happening. I had an issue where a Hi8 tape would not fit into a camcorder because the tape cartridge was damaged. So I took the tape apart, and transferred the tape on the inside to another cartridge. Once in the new cartridge, I try to play it in the camcorder and the camcorder only plays the audio, no video is shown whatsoever.

This happened again, I already recorded the video and audio successfully but noticed later that the audio was messed up so I wanted to record the tape again. And again, I was having an issue getting the tape inside the camcorder so I took the tape apart and transferred it into another tape. Once I put that new tape into the camcorder, only the audio would play and NOT the video.

So I have no idea what I am doing that could possibly cause this, and if there is any remedy to recovering that lost video. Some things I have tested:
    -Its not the camcorder itself, I have tried the tapes on multiple camcorders and the same result. And tapes I have not taken apart work fine in the camcorder.
    -I wonder if the tape cartridge itself is not compatible somehow with the tape? Don't know if this is a thing.
    -I wonder if maybe the screwdriver I am using, which has a weak magnetic head, might be wiping the video from the tape, but not the audio. I've never heard of this happening but figure it is a possibility.
    -I've also cleaned the heads of all my camcorders and no difference.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Digital8 recording played in a Hi8 machine? Some Hi8 machines can record and play LPCM audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ConsumerDV View Post
    Digital8 recording played in a Hi8 machine? Some Hi8 machines can record and play LPCM audio.
    I tried it on both a Hi8 Camcorder (Sony CCD-TRV87) and Digital8 Camcorder, same result.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ConsumerDV View Post
    Digital8 recording played in a Hi8 machine? Some Hi8 machines can record and play LPCM audio.
    So it looks like you may be right. Apparently, you can't take the tape out of an Hi8 cartridge and place it into an 8mm cartridge. I returned the tape to its original Hi8 cartridge, and now it works. Still unsure about the other one.
    Quote Quote