VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Just a question..maybe a dumb question, but a question nonetheless..I've got a HIPIX DTV 200 card I just got, and I'm about to get it all setup and running (yeah right..) this coming weekend..This card is advertised as being a HDTV receiver, and also an upscaler....what little bit I've scoured off the web about this thing is that it's a miracle card.(yeah, right again)Anyway.. once Iget this thing humming along, I'll be capturing on my hard drive approx 10GB for every hour I receive..My question(s) are this: Anyone have experiance in converting HDTV Broadcasts to a DVD?? if so, hows the quality? Is it close to DVD after the conversion, or is it a lower quality? Other than just storing HDTV Streams as date on a data DVD, is there any other way to create a movie that would playback as a HDTV Signal on a HDTV? A Hi-Def VHS Tape Maybe ?? Thanks for the response(s) in advance..

Paranoid ?!?!?!? who's Paradoid?!?!?!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can I record HDTV on a DVD recorder?

Current DVD recorders cannot record in HDTV standards, due to limitations of both the laser wavelength used and in the limited space of current DVDs for the storage capacity needs of HDTV signals. However, HD-DVD recording is not far off as the Blu-ray group (Hitachi, LG Electronics, Matsushita Electric Industrial, Pioneer, Royal Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sharp, Sony and Thomson) have finally settled on standards and begun licensing procedures for the new Blu-ray HD-DVD format.

Products using this technology may appear in Japan in late 2003 and in the U.S. and Europe sometime in 2004. The remaining questions are: Affordability for the consumer, the availability of both blank and pre-recorded software, and whether you will "allowed" or able to record programs broadcast in HDTV due to proposed anti-copy encoding schemes. However, JVC has just introduced the first consumer-grade HD-capable camcorder that could be paired with such a unit for the independent filmaker. If a DVD recorder has the Blu-ray logo, it will have the ability to record in HD, depending on the source material.

http://hometheater.about.com/library/weekly/aadvdrecfaqb.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use HDTV only with a PC currently. You can store it on HD or you can burn it on DVD as Data (about 35 min per Disc that way - that reminds me SVCD situations...).

The other way, is to re-encode HDTV to a DVD framesize, like 720 x 576/480. It would be like converting DVD to VCD in a way, but if the source of the channel before the HDTV transmission was DVD (or lower), you won't see a difference in praxis (well, you gonna see the difference it happens on any kind of mpeg 2 convertions). So HDTV to typical DVD currently ain't a bad idea (neither a bad source for DVD)

On the other hand, and just for those who read: HDTV is virtual non exist in Europe, but I had some conversations about it. One of the things I learned is that HDTV expected to have variations on the framesize, just like DVD and the current DVB chennels before it. From Eutelsat they inform me that there gonna be even a PAL interlace framesize of 704 x 1080 (!) with 15.000 kb/s, so to manage to have 2 HDTV DVB channels per trasponder with all the neccessary extra goodies (SID, NID, Teletext, EPG, OpenTV...).

But all those things are theory still not tested / used, so we can't test them ourselfs and we don't have a way -beyond PC- to watch them. Also, we don't have a way to prepare for them, I mean: There is not a determine way to begin store captured HDTV streams beyond store them on HD or DVD discs.

Talking HDTV today, is like talking VideoCD in 1994...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies guys..Gives me some heads up info about converting the TS streams to a DVD.. Now the next step is to see if I can just subscribe to DirecTV's Hi Def Programming without buying the converter, and experiment with using the HiPix DTV 200 card as the receiver instead....
    Thanks for the feed back..
    When I've fallen through all the holes and pits, I'll post back my results..

Paranoid ?!?!?!? Who's Paranoid ?!!?!?!?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by RDS1955
    Thanks for the replies guys..Gives me some heads up info about converting the TS streams to a DVD.. Now the next step is to see if I can just subscribe to DirecTV's Hi Def Programming without buying the converter, and experiment with using the HiPix DTV 200 card as the receiver instead....
    Thanks for the feed back..
    When I've fallen through all the holes and pits, I'll post back my results..

Paranoid ?!?!?!? Who's Paranoid ?!!?!?!?
    This will not work. Even if you could find some way to decrypt the DSS signal (which may be possible in software, I don't know, and may be borderline warez), the board logic itself wouldn't be able to tune a DSS signal anyway. The only thing you'll be able to capture with this card are the OTA hdtv signals in your area.

HOWEVER:

Tivo and Directv have recently released their HD-recordable PVR. The price for this is currently something around $999, but that's bound to come down. Most importantly, if someone figures out how to mod this tivo like the older ones, that would mean lossless HD video extraction would be possible from it.
    Quote Quote