VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. There is absolutely no question this is a dopey, ignorant noobie error.

Trying to make a movie with some jpegs and am mp4. When I do a preview the photos display fine. I have 4 jpgs to start my video, then a 1 hour mp4 file which, at the end of it, has a title overlayed for 10 or 20 seconds. That's it.

But when I render it the 4 jpg's show up as white screen. Then it goes into the video section fine.

The jpg's are each 1578 x888, 72 dpi. I constructed them in PS as Tif's then saved to jpg. The mp4 file was originally ripped from a DVD which was made from a recording on my pvr. It is 720x404, 29.97 frame rate.

I am rendering to mp4 H254/aac. At first I rendered the entire thing, waiting hours, of course, only to find out this disaster. So I cut off all but a minute of the mp4 and rendered it again to the same results. This is in Kdenlive. I have tried it also in Vegas Movie Studio to the same results. The only difference is with Vegas I get green screens for the jpgs and the video doesn't display either; it is also a green screen.

Here is the workspace in Kdenlive:

[Attachment 47776 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use "PNG" format for stills in a video, also should be sized correctly. Check the pixel dimensions. If that doesn't work then editing software no good. You have to "groom" your content before putting on timeline.
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Jan 2019 at 16:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And some video editing programs will not handle individual photos that are too large. So like Bud say, 'groom' your photos first. JPG's should work if sized correctly. (I use jpg's in Vegas products all the time and they work once you reduce the size)
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    And some video editing programs will not handle individual photos that are too large. So like Bud say, 'groom' your photos first. JPG's should work if sized correctly. (I use jpg's in Vegas products all the time and they work once you reduce the size)
    TreeTops, quantify for me please. What is too large? Are you talking overall file size or dimensions? As I think I said above I made these file in Photoshop as multi (3?) layer Tiffs. I think I had an initial background layer, and then the actual layer of photo and a text layer. Then I saved them as a jpegs. They were each about 800 KB. And each was around 1578 x 888. I certainly could have saved them to lower quality.

I'm going to play around some with smaller files and changing dimensions.

Thanks for your response.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
    I'm going to play around some with smaller files and changing dimensions.

Thanks for your response.
    And that did seem to solve it. I'm not sure which solved it, the smaller file size, the smaller dimensions or file type. But I resized the four jpgs to 720 x 404 pixels, the dimensions of the video. Then I saved them each to png and when I saved them I did so to smaller file size. They ended up about 450 KB compared to the 800 KB of the jpgs.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The resolutions of the various graphic elements should have a common denominator, or divisible by one. That's really conforming the media. Whoops, I might have taken an excessive alcohol diversion.
    Last edited by budwzr; 29th Jan 2019 at 17:31.
    Quote Quote